Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Burnley 1 Post match thread

55 minutes ago, StanSP said:

...which brings me on to reply to this post - Wes was brought on to help with the aerial threat of their side and give extra defensive cover as they piled players forward. Wes made one crucial block from one of their edge-of-the-box shots in typical Wes fashion. So perhaps not just saved by VAR.

Yes, there was some shakiness and time to get familiar with it but I would not call the decision by Rodgers 'not clever'. It was a bold and risky call but it was necessary. 

I'd say going for a third would have been riskier. Leaves us open at the back and gives less cover for their players as they continue forward. 

There is a different option between chucking Wes on and making an attacking sub. Putting Wes on completely surrendered the midfield to them and allowed them to actually steamroll us. You can point to the defensive contributions Wes made whilst he was on as a reason to justify his prescence, but in reality those blocks were only needed *because* he was subbed on. 

I think putting Hamza on would have made our midfield very tough to play through and would have slowed the play down, which is what we would have wanted. The sentimentality of Wes coming on for his 300th app is understandable, but I don't want to see that again.

• Like 3

Wasn’t convinced that bringing Wes Morgan was good for our game yesterday whereas Hamza Choudhury would have been a better option for me as that’s where Burnley were hurting us in front of the back 4. Evans & Soyuncu should and were coping with Wood & Rodriguez (apart from their goal that should have been dealt with down our left side before the cross came in and the same for the Sheff Utd goal) but I can’t understand where Benkovic has gone (does he have a long term injury) as I thought he was supposed to be better than Soyuncu...

We won so got to give Rodgers credit for what he did, our fans were brilliant, Burnley fans with their anti Vardy chants and one making ‘helicopter’ insults were a disgrace...

• Like 2

Just now, foxfanazer said:

Burnley time wasting from minute 1 was an embarrassment. I know they do well to punch above their weight but imagine having to watch that shite on a weekly basis. 

I was however impressed with Wood's performance, led the line well and seems to have adapted well to life in the prem

I'd much rather watch them play than us under Puel 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

We can only charge them 30 quid. Same as all other away fans throughout the Premier league.

So I guess they just couldn't be arsed.

All away clubs now have to pay for the allocation of tickets if they don't think they can sell 3000 they take a reduced allocation to save money.

Shows however long they stay in this league they dont have the following if they cant sell 3000 for a 3pm on a Saturday.

I guess they would argue Leicester isn't the easiest of places to get to from Burnley and will use the we aren't a big game line. But for me I always go to watch my team not admire Old Trafford etc.

I too go to support my Team and not the opposition or gaze at the overpriced theatre's we are travelling to, and l take issue with ticket prices being raised because of the opposition. :scarf:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

really good today, whether he's better or worse than perez is a conversation i cba with, but he is something very different. and that's great if we can continue to interchange them and they both play reasonably well. 

our wingers are still a bit weird. they're all (currently) just not quite playing well enough, for me. they are 4 completely different players and 4 really good options but they still all need to up their game. 

They're not that bad really though are they. 2 goals scored from 2 crosses from 2 wingers. Can't really want much more than that.

Just now, Grebfromgrebland said:

They're not that bad really though are they. 2 goals scored from 2 crosses from 2 wingers. Can't really want much more than that.

not sure i said they were bad? i just said they could definitely all still up their game and all 4 could offer more, then imagine how good we'd be. 

• Like 1

The Burnley time wasting reminded me so much of the Championship days. Almost pantomime watching the body language change after the Teilemans goal. Most frustrating aspect was not the Burnley players trying to waste time but the ref allowing them to get away with it. More needs to be done to stop what is clearly going on. 

42 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Why was there so few Burnley fans in the away block? Did we charge a stupid amount? 

Some on their forum moaning about the lack of allocation, with others correcting them saying they had no demand 

The price is fixed for away games now ! 

it’s because they are a small club , and they don’t like watching that shite away from home 

38 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Burnley time wasting from minute 1 was an embarrassment. I know they do well to punch above their weight but imagine having to watch that shite on a weekly basis. 

I was however impressed with Wood's performance, led the line well and seems to have adapted well to life in the prem

Imagine if we hired Sean Dyche after sacking Ranieri and Shakespeare. Burnley and Dyche are a perfect fit. If he was at any slightly bigger club and he'd be hounded out within months.

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Looked like the players, expectedly, struggled to adapt to the change of shape and formation...

...which brings me on to reply to this post - Wes was brought on to help with the aerial threat of their side and give extra defensive cover as they piled players forward. Wes made one crucial block from one of their edge-of-the-box shots in typical Wes fashion. So perhaps not just saved by VAR.

Yes, there was some shakiness and time to get familiar with it but I would not call the decision by Rodgers 'not clever'. It was a bold and risky call but it was necessary. 

I'd say going for a third would have been riskier. Leaves us open at the back and gives less cover for their players as they continue forward. 

But if as you say, Wes was brought on to counter their piling forward of players, so may be keeping a more attacking formation to exploit the holes this would leave is more clever than inviting the Alamo?   We won and we will never know.

But teams with top 4 ambitions are unlikely to park the Bus at home, with 15 minutes to go against sides like Burnley.  Attack is often the best form of defense.  But these are just opinions which we are all entitled to have.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

There is a different option between chucking Wes on and making an attacking sub. Putting Wes on completely surrendered the midfield to them and allowed them to actually steamroll us. You can point to the defensive contributions Wes made whilst he was on as a reason to justify his prescence, but in reality those blocks were only needed *because* he was subbed on. 

I think putting Hamza on would have made our midfield very tough to play through and would have slowed the play down, which is what we would have wanted. The sentimentality of Wes coming on for his 300th app is understandable, but I don't want to see that again.

:appl:

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whereas I sympathise with your point bringing Wes on yesterday and the other game under similar circumstances, I forget which game (damn you old age) both games we held out and won so it achieved what was intended (Sheffield Utd 😊) Both games the opposition held a great aerial threat so I understand why Wes was brought on, its old school but it worked.

• Like 1

Impressive result yesterday, not at our best by any stretch but fair play to Burnley.  They have a way of playing and its effective, can see them nicking some points this season from those around us.

Still find us too isolated from Vardy at times, considering the opposition would have expected to see us much closer to him. 

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

The Burnley time wasting reminded me so much of the Championship days. Almost pantomime watching the body language change after the Teilemans goal. Most frustrating aspect was not the Burnley players trying to waste time but the ref allowing them to get away with it. More needs to be done to stop what is clearly going on. 

Hard to punish them when we’ve got Maddison walking over to every corner in slow motion

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mark said:

Hard to punish them when we’ve got Maddison walking over to every corner in slow motion

I'd genuinely rather they punish or speak to everyone time wasting than just letting it go.

Don't want to know the amount of time I spent watching Pope take goal kicks or them sort throw-ins out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haywood_6 said:

I'd much rather watch them play than us under Puel 

I wouldn’t. They’re good at what they do and I do slightly admire Burnley but **** me they are boring to watch. Ben Mee just launches the ball up to Wood who tried to flick it on for Barnes or hope that the wingers pick up the second balls. Can’t stand Dyche, always had a lot to say about Leicester and our cash. Maybe if he spent less time talking about us or practicing how to time waste 90 seconds into a game then he might be able to pick up some bargains like we have which have helped us progress the club and the way we play. 

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

Whatever you want to level at Burnley, they play their system fantastically well, absolutely horrid team to play against, real bastards to breakdown and they always have one ball into the box that can be a goal.

How their fans tolerate it, yet alone celebrate it I don’t know. They spent half the game yesterday chanting “fancy football” for fvcks sake. I know it’s keeping them in the top tier but surely sooner or later they have to demand some sort of improvement and actual football.

Either way, for us to go 1-0 down and win against them is understated. Other than Man City and Liverpool, virtually all other clubs would falter in that situation, and that win really shows who we’re competing with this season. Fantastic win in the circumstance!

That’s a really interesting question. I know when they struggled last season there were a large Dyche out sentiment and feeling they needed a new way to play. Yet this season if you look at them and Palace both have overperformed and their acceptance of their way of play is working for both. In the meantime Stoke got relegated a few seasons ago trying to change their style and though Brighton are much more exciting to watch this year their results aren’t great. 

Realistically as a club they aren’t going to over invest in infrastructure or their squad so attempting to change style could be a huge risk. 

The onus is though I think is on Dyche. On paper after getting Burnley into Europe he should have been in the conversation for a bigger job but no one went near him. If he ever wants to go to the next level he’ll have to adjust his style, but does he want to?

They can feel hard done by through VAR but at the same time it would be massively depressing to see my team play like that. It’s like they aren’t even trying to play football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

How their fans tolerate it, yet alone celebrate it I don’t know. They spent half the game yesterday chanting “fancy football” for fvcks sake. I know it’s keeping them in the top tier but surely sooner or later they have to demand some sort of improvement and actual football.

I think they only brought about 400 fans and had to give tickets back ...  this for a team in the top 10 of the prem ?? ...   speaks for itself. 

I’m naturally happy we won, but doubly so after watching that performance. Burnley’s style is functional and rigid, but my lord, is it atrocious to watch. I was fully expecting a game like that as there is no way Burnley were ever going to come and actually play a football game. Dire drivel that belongs in the early 90’s..... having said that we deserved to win, so i could not give a toss what pundits say about their second goal, we were the better side and it would have been a fallacy to football had they left with anything. 

To those slagging off Burnley's style of play, we were hardly scintillating to watch ourselves yesterday. We spent the majority of the first 44 minutes just passing it along our back 4 in our own half. I'm all for pretty, passing football but that was just passing for the sake of passing with no incisiveness. We played well for a bit in the second half, especially when Gray came on, but then needlessly changed formation when on top and handed Burnley the initiative. Rodgers wasn't good tactically yesterday IMHO. I'll take the win and I'll take 3rd, but I still feel we're not quite getting the most out of this squad...yet.

• Like 3