Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Leicester 2 Burnley 1 Post match thread

2 hours ago, kyleolly said:

He wasn’t at his best today but he’s been excellent so far this season so I won’t be too critical, I thought he was fairly commanding and came out well for crosses which is usually the weak area of his game!

Made an excellent initial stop for the disallowed goal though tbf. Would have been no debate if that had gone in before the Evans/Wood clash.

26 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What pissed me off most today was the amount of time wasting we saw from Burnley and Pope in particular. 

You almost expect it from teams in the latter stages of the game, but this started from around the 25minute mark. Yet Moss did nothing about it, and they continued to abuse it throughout the game.

Must’ve been your first Burnley game, if that came as a surprise!

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

What pissed me off most today was the amount of time wasting we saw from Burnley and Pope in particular. 

You almost expect it from teams in the latter stages of the game, but this started from around the 25minute mark. Yet Moss did nothing about it, and they continued to abuse it throughout the game.

The odd thing is I thought they looked quite good in the few spells where they tried to get at us a bit. Some of the link play with the front two was very tidy and they did well with getting balls into Wood and then playing off him. It's almost like they're consciously trying/being instructed to play up to their identity as an anti-football shithouse team when in reality they might actually be a little better than that. Still a largely horrid team mind and I sincerely hope the away game is the last time we ever have to play them.

• Like 1

Burnley is fine.  They make the most of their limited talent and are legitimately dangerous on the counter.  Add a dynamic playmaker (from Algeria, say) and the best box-to-box MF in the world and a team could win the league playing that way.  The time-wasting I could do without, yes.

If Rodgers is determined to use Morgan to deal with crosses, then he has to straight sub him for Caglar (which I wouldn't, for the record).  This 5 at the back thing has been an abject disaster both times he's used it.

3 goals and 2 assists in 11 appearances from a MF and people are complaining?

Youri is this team's Mahrez at this point.  He can frustrate you on occasion, but he can also create opportunities without buildup with sheer inspiration and technical brilliance.  Does he have room to improve?  Yes - but he's been exactly the guy we paid for.  No complaints here.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Exactly why I can’t help but feel the decision on the second goal was karma. 

I don’t see what Burnley gain with those tactics (particularly given their urgency post Tielemans goal, they looked very likely to equalise). They will keep doing it for countless seasons though until their squad begins to get bored of it. The way they play is unsustainable. They will win the odd game, get 40 points and repeat. But it’s ****ing boring. Will lead to Burnley just being so middle of the road. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

A win’s a win, but be honest, that wasn’t very convincing. TBF Burnley do what they do very well, but we looked shaky in defence somehow. Can’t put my finger on it but whenever they went forward they looked dangerous and seemed to have loads of space. Build up in attack is still very laboured for long periods.

WTF happened after our second goal? All cohesion seemed to disappear and our possession game vanished just as we needed it.

Their goal was correctly disallowed IMO, though perhaps a bit soft. There was a foul, but VAR might not have intervened on the basis that perhaps it wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake.

Overall I think our league position is a little flattering and we’ll have to up the ante to retain it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t see what Burnley gain with those tactics (particularly given their urgency post Tielemans goal, they looked very likely to equalise). They will keep doing it for countless seasons though until their squad begins to get bored of it. The way they play is unsustainable. They will win the odd game, get 40 points and repeat. But it’s ****ing boring. Will lead to Burnley just being so middle of the road. 

Sean Dyche hates football. I'm convinced of that.

• Like 1

I thought we were very fortunate with the VAR decision until I saw the angle from the back on MOTD where the heel clip was more obvious, and Evans might well have made the clearance as the ball was moving pretty slow

A good performance until Morgan came on for Barnes, we just couldn't get the ball out or keep it out after that. Anyway the better team won, and hopefully it'll be a bit more plain-sailing against Southampton on Friday

Bringing on Wes for his 300th appearance, being a sentimental decision IMO, was not clever.  We invited trouble and we got it, being penned for a long period and only saved by VAR.  We should have gone for a third until the last 5 minutes before switching into game management mode.

I hope BR does not try this tactic again, unless we are playing Barcelona in the Champions League Group Stages needing 3 points to go through to knockout stage..

14 hours ago, ttfn said:

The twist at the end of this analysis from Garth Crooks is world class.

D052EEC2-42D8-4132-A209-C2565AFC47C9.png

Think somebody needs to explain to Garth that the advantage rule only applies when you are fouled......not when you commit the foul!

Guest Markyblue

These are the games that prove where we are at. Many people have said we can't break teams down, well Burnley play a way that would always cause us problems but we went a goal down and still won. Unfortunately we invited trouble bringing wes on without a straight swop for jonny or cags but that said it was an excellent win against a very decent team. The project is on going but we are on the up.

I thought we were the better team for most the game, but Burnley did what they do very well, and Wood is such a good outlet for them. These are the types of games I was most worried about, as teams look to frustrate us, but I think we created a fair few chances considering their set up.

What I didn't understand was going to a back 5, and bringing on Morgan. We got away with it a little bit yesterday but that was just inviting trouble with Burnley forced to go for it. 

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

A win’s a win, but be honest, that wasn’t very convincing. TBF Burnley do what they do very well, but we looked shaky in defence somehow. Can’t put my finger on it but whenever they went forward they looked dangerous and seemed to have loads of space. Build up in attack is still very laboured for long periods.

WTF happened after our second goal? All cohesion seemed to disappear and our possession game vanished just as we needed it.

Their goal was correctly disallowed IMO, though perhaps a bit soft. There was a foul, but VAR might not have intervened on the basis that perhaps it wasn’t a clear and obvious mistake.

Overall I think our league position is a little flattering and we’ll have to up the ante to retain it.

Looked like the players, expectedly, struggled to adapt to the change of shape and formation...

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Bringing on Wes for his 300th appearance, being a sentimental decision IMO, was not clever.  We invited trouble and we got it, being penned for a long period and only saved by VAR.  We should have gone for a third until the last 5 minutes before switching into game management mode.

I hope BR does not try this tactic again, unless we are playing Barcelona in the Champions League Group Stages needing 3 points to go through to knockout stage..

...which brings me on to reply to this post - Wes was brought on to help with the aerial threat of their side and give extra defensive cover as they piled players forward. Wes made one crucial block from one of their edge-of-the-box shots in typical Wes fashion. So perhaps not just saved by VAR.

Yes, there was some shakiness and time to get familiar with it but I would not call the decision by Rodgers 'not clever'. It was a bold and risky call but it was necessary. 

I'd say going for a third would have been riskier. Leaves us open at the back and gives less cover for their players as they continue forward. 

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Looked like the players, expectedly, struggled to adapt to the change of shape and formation...

...which brings me on to reply to this post - Wes was brought on to help with the aerial threat of their side and give extra defensive cover as they piled players forward. Wes made one crucial block from one of their edge-of-the-box shots in typical Wes fashion. So perhaps not just saved by VAR.

Yes, there was some shakiness and time to get familiar with it but I would not call the decision by Rodgers 'not clever'. It was a bold and risky call but it was necessary. 

I'd say going for a third would have been riskier. Leaves us open at the back and gives less cover for their players as they continue forward. 

We were looking shaky before Wes came on. Rodgers brought him on to fix the problem by relieving pressure at the back, and I thought it was a good idea at the time. Didn’t seem to work though and arguably made things worse by destabilising midfield.

I think this is  a pretty fair assessment of the match and the season so far.

First 15 minutes, I thought we played some lovely football, quick, incisive, good movement off the ball. Then for the rest of the half we just were not that good. personally thought Chilwell at fault for the goal. He stood off and should have done more to prevent the cross.

Second half we were better but the last 10 minutes we were a smables and literally just hanging on. Our game management just disappeared.

Also think there's not anywhere near enough credit as to just how good a team Burnley actually are. They work very hard, are very well organised and actually play some quite decent stuff. They're far removed from the simple long ball merchants some on here seem to think they are. Wood was excellent yesterday, a much imporved player from when he was with us.

In the end I think we were just a bit better than them and had a bit more quality. But that was a good win against a decent side who will cause problems for teams this season.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EastNeukFox said:

Must’ve been your first Burnley game, if that came as a surprise!

No surprise, you expect a team to slow it down after taking the lead away from home. I just expect the officials to have a word, as I've seen them do to Kasper on a large number of times. Seems to be a rule they enforce when they feel like it.

6 hours ago, Guest said:

The odd thing is I thought they looked quite good in the few spells where they tried to get at us a bit. Some of the link play with the front two was very tidy and they did well with getting balls into Wood and then playing off him. It's almost like they're consciously trying/being instructed to play up to their identity as an anti-football shithouse team when in reality they might actually be a little better than that. Still a largely horrid team mind and I sincerely hope the away game is the last time we ever have to play them.

Exactly, they have some tidy players on the ball yet always seem to resort the crossing or long balls up. Tarkowski when linked to us in the summer made it apparent he can play the ball out of the back rather than how he's shown for Burnley. 

They genuinely remind me of Stoke in terms of their set-up. Do get sick of Dyche using the 'little old Burnley', they're not just some small team anymore.  

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

When they're 1-0 and we're going to be attacking them, why slow the entire game down and drag it to half time rather than trying to hit us on the counter. It makes no sense as half time was still 20odd minutes away.

It is bloody dull to watch, some passing but resorting to a long ball or a cross 90% of the time. They nearly came unstuck last year, looks like they should be fine this year however.

• Like 1

I think it's pretty obvious what happened.  The same thing happened against Sheffield United, where in the last 15 minutes a team with limited creativity and firepower made us look like a League Two side trying to hang on for a giant killing in the FA Cup.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Burnley are no mugs , a proper dour and sour team , built in their managers like ! 

this is the premier league the only mugs are the ones that don’t take every team seriously 

was it amazing football ? NO

was it effective ? YES 

will we get better ? YES 

fantastic time to be a city supporter yet still this place is occupied that moaning Millies most of whom rarely attend a game ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Burnley are no mugs , a proper dour and sour team , built in their managers like ! 

this is the premier league the only mugs are the ones that don’t take every team seriously 

was it amazing football ? NO

was it effective ? YES 

will we get better ? YES 

fantastic time to be a city supporter yet still this place is occupied that moaning Millies most of whom rarely attend a game ! 

Burnley are a hard team to break down tbh, we have done well to win, it was attrition football they play, But we won and that’s the most important thing thing. Southampton and Palace away up next for us should be more free flowing, because they will come at us being at home.

• Like 1