Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leicester banked £80m lump sum from Manchester United for Harry Maguire - and Brendan Rodgers is preparing to spend it

9 hours ago, moseeds said:

Actually would prefer to build the club further by allocating a decent chunk of it to stadium upgrades and an expanded recruitment network to complement the new training centre. Otherwise it's easy to have absolutely nothing to show for £85m worth of cash with just 1 or 2 bad buys - case in point Slimani, Musa, Silva, iheanacho, etc etc.

Infrastructure and squad costs are completely separate. There are restrictions on how much the owners can inject into the club to spend on the playing squad (wages/fees etc), but there are no such restrictions on stadium/training ground improvements. As a result, any sizeable income for the playing squad - like the Maguire sale - will be reinvested back into the squad. The owners can front the cost of any infrastructure changes (via bank loans to spread the cost) and recoup that money over the longer term.

We're not going to be focussing on one at the expense of the other. We're looking to challenge at the highest level so we'll be spending big across the board, which means everything will see investment where its needed. 

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

Have we given up on Benk and an academy centre half? If so next season we'll only have Evans and Soyuncu so it makes sense to buy a third choice. Boring though. Buy us another winger!

Our academy CB's are either out on loan themselves or have been sold (Pascanu) the others seem to have failed to impress such as Darnell Johnson. Josh Knight is being deployed as a box to box central midfielder for Peterborough which somewhat muddies the waters when it comes to his long term future.

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our academy CB's are either out on loan themselves or have been sold (Pascanu) the others seem to have failed to impress such as Darnell Johnson. Josh Knight is being deployed as a box to box central midfielder for Peterborough which somewhat muddies the waters when it comes to his long term future.

See his goal at the weekend? Unbelievable

• Like 1

As has been said, it's only wode areas where we can realistically strengthen right now, and that's not going to be easy. We're hardly lacking good options there and it's more a case of form and confidence.

However, over the next 3 windows we must surely be looking to recruit:

- a CB (Wes replacement/Benko competition)

- a LB (Chilly comp/Fuchs replacement)

- a winger (proven goalscorer)

- a striker (for if/when the unthinkable happens)

I'd be happy to see us do what we do best and invest in youth, with a year or 2 of bedding in before they're needed in the first XI.

17 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Have we given up on Benk and an academy centre half? If so next season we'll only have Evans and Soyuncu so it makes sense to buy a third choice. Boring though. Buy us another winger!

Sam Hughes was going to be such a prospect wasn't he?... 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

So pleased the club is in such safe hands at the mo, both on and of the field. Money to spend (and I trust Rodgers completely in terms of signings) and equally as pleased to see he wants to offload the dross.

Genuinely believe we can get top 6 this season and wouldn’t be shocked if we made top 4

BUT we must keep Vardy fit. He remains central to how we play and if he gets a bad injury, this is where we would struggle. Forget the defence for the moment, imo we need a proper second striker.

I think over 38 games we don't have enough goals in the team, especially from the wings. Vardy gets 15-20. Where are 40 more goals coming from? 

I largely trust the club/rodgers on signings too - but Perez hasn't worked...yet. And no wingers and no striker is a bit weird.

Guest bss9401
38 minutes ago, Harry5 said:

I recall there were reports of a late swoop for Merih Demiral of Juventus. 21 years old, 6 ft 3, Turkish international. He lined up along side Cags during the international break to which they got refered to as the 'Turkish Wall'. 

I believe he only signed for Juve last summer but also belive he has only made one appearance this season. I wouldn't mind seeing him being brought in in the summer to form a long term partnership with Cags, with Benny the next in line.

I don't know the figure reported but it would be a much cheaper (and better quality) alternative then any of the usual premier league suspects...

Wow, Deniral has fair potential but imagine, Foxestalk would be swelled by around 40 million members within days lol.

Seriously though, while remaining a Leicester City God, Morgan is comfortably past it and it has to be Benkovic as third choice or pay a decent wad for another central defender. This is especially the case if we are to go for 3 central defenders at the back to defend leads in certain games. Also I agree with posters that to maintain a top 4 push we could do with using another wedge to get another wide player who can consistently put in a good cross from wide and at set pieces.

Again... media riding a well uninformed article about LCFC needing a defender to replace maguire... when we already have back up for Soyunchu, Benkovic played under Rodgers already so he knows his strengths and is still getting back to full fitness. The media clearly lack any sort of solid research in this. These kinds of stories make them money and get viewers. Maguire right now is a money-pot cause of this most expensive defender bs. I don't think we need any more cover for our back line.  Amartey can also play CB....

What we really need is a winger and Perez to score a goal or 10.

k thanks

Edited by Simoken
  • Like 1

With Morgan leaving at the end of the year, we need a cheap CB to be 4th choice.

Welcome home Molla Wague!

Either that, or an outstanding prospect from the Championship, similar to the Justin deal.

With Slimani on fire at Monaco, I wonder if we could slap an ultimatum down in January to raise some funds?   Buy him or we recall him.

Just now, murphy said:

With Morgan leaving at the end of the year, we need a cheap CB to be 4th choice.

Welcome home Molla Wague!

Either that, or an outstanding prospect from the Championship, similar to the Justin deal.

With Slimani on fire at Monaco, I wonder if we could slap an ultimatum down in January to raise some funds?   Buy him or we recall him.

Nah, we need someone on par with Evans / Soyuncu. Need the strongest squad possible to cope with European fixtures. We have Praet on par with Tielemans / Maddison, so why not a CB who's just as good as our first choice options. 

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Sam Hughes was going to be such a prospect wasn't he?... 

I doubt anyone sells 20/21/22 year old defenders who look set for the Prem in ordinary circumstances. I suspect we bought him to get some tiny profit and to bulk up the u23 defence while we wait for an academy youth to develop, like Loft but in defence. 

rodgers clearly doesn't rate benko yet then

if that's the case then it leaves Morgan as backup for either Evans or Soyuncu and everyone will be spitting their dummies out if we end up with an injury that brings Wes back full time. 

no point ****ing about - we're having a good season and if rodgers thinks we need to strengthen at the back then I trust his judgement.

also looks positive in regards to sending iheanacho out as well - clearly not got the attributes to work alongside vardy in this squad - perhaps rodgers will look to bring in a striker with a different flavour once he's gone.

seems all positive to me?

I think they got the info about the £80m being up-front and built the article around that so speculated on transfers.

That said, I could see us bringing in another CB. We were clearly trying after Maguire went and Benkovic can't stay fit. We only have Wes as back up currently. 

Surely the priority is a winger though. We're crying out for one. But the tabloids probably still see Gray as a decent option with Barnes, Albrighton and Perez and don't see it as a weak area. 

We won't make top 4 without buying a new winger.

52 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

rodgers clearly doesn't rate benko yet then

if that's the case then it leaves Morgan as backup for either Evans or Soyuncu and everyone will be spitting their dummies out if we end up with an injury that brings Wes back full time. 

no point ****ing about - we're having a good season and if rodgers thinks we need to strengthen at the back then I trust his judgement.

also looks positive in regards to sending iheanacho out as well - clearly not got the attributes to work alongside vardy in this squad - perhaps rodgers will look to bring in a striker with a different flavour once he's gone.

seems all positive to me?

Seems like he feels Benkovic needs more game time or experience before he can jump in at the Prem. He also missed bits of pre-season so may be lagging behind a little.

People seem to be panicking about signing a winger and ignoring that if soy or evans get injured we're starting Morgan with little cover at the back. 

• Like 4