Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leicester banked £80m lump sum from Manchester United for Harry Maguire - and Brendan Rodgers is preparing to spend it

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Seems like he feels Benkovic needs more game time or experience before he can jump in at the Prem. He also missed bits of pre-season so may be lagging behind a little.

People seem to be panicking about signing a winger and ignoring that if soy or evans get injured we're starting Morgan with little cover at the back. 

Sorry for being boring, even naive but what about our youngsters in the academy.

Isnt the idea of having these developing players,that at sometime,some will be ready to make the Move up..!!

Whether that is up front,midfield or backline....Then Its deciding where and in what Type of 1-3 players,one might need Splash out on.

Jumping in and joining Media speculation, especially with today Social media,plus lazy journalism,just keeps the silly circle of nonsense turning..

• Like 1

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Seems like he feels Benkovic needs more game time or experience before he can jump in at the Prem. He also missed bits of pre-season so may be lagging behind a little.

People seem to be panicking about signing a winger and ignoring that if soy or evans get injured we're starting Morgan with little cover at the back. 

absolutely. if rodgers thought that soyuncu was ready for the prem (which he is) then I trust that he doesn't think benko is ready. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Sorry for being boring, even naive but what about our youngsters in the academy.

Isnt the idea of having these developing players,that at sometime,some will be ready to make the Move up..!!

Whether that is up front,midfield or backline....Then Its deciding where and in what Type of 1-3 players,one might need Splash out on.

Jumping in and joining Media speculation, especially with today Social media,plus lazy journalism,just keeps the silly circle of nonsense turning..

I believe most of our promising centre backs are out on loan, Knight for instance is at Peterborough being used as a box to box midfielder. Also, id be wary of having an academy player as our sole back up for a suspension if one of the main two became injured.

4 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

absolutely. if rodgers thought that soyuncu was ready for the prem (which he is) then I trust that he doesn't think benko is ready. 

Exactly, hopefully it's just a case of him being a year off starting for us. I did expect him to be bench player this, but maybe he isn't ready and it's why Rodgers got Wes to stay around 

2 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

£40m on Youri, £30m on Ayoze, £20m on Dennis and £6m on James = £96m.

These fees would've come out of the transfer budget already accounted for all of which (apart from Praet) were signed before the Maguire departure thus providing additional funds. They wouldn't have only been paid out on the basis of potentially receiving a windfall at some later date. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I mentioned him on twitter yesterday but one lad reckons he's been bang average at Sassulo for a few years now and that's why he's failed to get his big move. Apparently the stats look good, but overall he's not all that. I must admit I don't know much about him.

This Stengs at AZ Alkmaar looks interesting.

If anyone thinks we are going to get someone like Callum Wilson to come and play 2nd fiddle to Vardy are off their heads. Whoever we get is literally feeding off a few mins here and there, it's a hard situation for us to solve. I'm not so sure a young, raw striker is the answer either as we'll stagnate them if they aren't playing football. If anything, we need a 34-35 year old who still can come in and nick goals every so often like Fuchs comes in for Chilwell and never lets us down. Giroud wouldn't come here and sit on the bench but someone of that stage of their career.

euro 2020 plays a part as well, someone who's scraping into england squads playing every week and scoring regularly isn't going to take themselves out the spotlight just in time for an england tournament. 

giroud would be similar i guess. not sure he'd still be france's first choice striker if he didn't even get to play europa league games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

euro 2020 plays a part as well, someone who's scraping into england squads playing every week and scoring regularly isn't going to take themselves out the spotlight just in time for an england tournament. 

giroud would be similar i guess. not sure he'd still be france's first choice striker if he didn't even get to play europa league games. 

Very good point! There's not really a bit part experienced striker I can think of that would come here and potentially do well? The sort of Defoe or Crouch type player when they were in their mid thirties

13 hours ago, SO1 said:

That's what I thought. Always seemed very reputable even for other clubs. For me the Telegraph is usually right on and very little BS.

Think there's a lot of info from the summer as well as various quotes from the season so far. Toss them all together and BINGO a story.

He seems to break most things about Forest and Villa too, he's obviously well respected and trusted.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Very good point! There's not really a bit part experienced striker I can think of that would come here and potentially do well? The sort of Defoe or Crouch type player when they were in their mid thirties

yeah it's a tough one, has been since we got promoted really. even ulloa was playing instead of vardy, and when he dropped down the pecking order eventually he kicked off and asked to leave. 

we don't currently have enough games/big games to keep a full squad happy, but we need to plan for the possibility that we will do next year. but not sure who would come here on the off chance of getting a game or two next year. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

I believe most of our promising centre backs are out on loan, Knight for instance is at Peterborough being used as a box to box midfielder. Also, id be wary of having an academy player as our sole back up for a suspension if one of the main two became injured.

Exactly, hopefully it's just a case of him being a year off starting for us. I did expect him to be bench player this, but maybe he isn't ready and it's why Rodgers got Wes to stay around 

you Miss the point..This 'Topic' Specialized on possible ideas of movement,that is not immediate business,but speculation on  future movement.

January or more like the summer...So any player from the academy can and should be Knocking on the First Team door,plus by then we will know Benkovic

credentials,if he doesn t become a Story of injuries.We are only in October,if Benko Recovery to Match Fitness is reasonable,we have him to Call on before

December fixtures.  If Not we have Morgan,Amartey,Fuchs,and a.n.other,from the Youth team( who should already be in the eye of Rodgers)

I also trust in what we have....!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

You know it’s a well researched article when it describes our Croatian international defender as Serbian Centre half...

Can be a somewhat dangerous mistake that. In the Balkans anyway.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Shane said:

Nah, we need someone on par with Evans / Soyuncu. Need the strongest squad possible to cope with European fixtures. We have Praet on par with Tielemans / Maddison, so why not a CB who's just as good as our first choice options. 

But that's gonna cost huge money.  I believe we were quoted £75m for AKe and £50m each for Tarkowski and Dunk.  We need to strengthen other areas that we are lacking in the first team rather than blowing the budget on back up and also begs the question, who's gonna come in at that level and sit on the bench?

I want to carry on with the Evans/Soyuncu partnership.  At 22, Soyuncu is just a baby in centre half terms.  His potential is scary and he needs to play to get there.  I don't know why Benkovic has gone so quiet this year but I still think he should be first reserve when Morgan leaves. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, murphy said:

But that's gonna cost huge money.  I believe we were quoted £75m for AKe and £50m each for Tarkowski and Dunk.  We need to strengthen other areas that we are lacking in the first team rather than blowing the budget on back up and also begs the question, who's gonna come in at that level and sit on the bench?

I want to carry on with the Evans/Soyuncu partnership.  At 22, Soyuncu is just a baby in centre half terms.  His potential is scary and he needs to play to get there.  I don't know why Benkovic has gone so quiet this year but I still think he should be first reserve when Morgan leaves. 

You don't have to spend those sums though and get ripped off by fellow EPL clubs for average players like Dunk who'd cost a fortune.  Scout and plan properly and look further afield, exactly in the same way you signed Soyuncu.

Soyuncu and Evans may indeed be first choice but you need the ability to rotate or survive when either need a rest or are injured.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Leicester banked £80m lump sum from Manchester United for Harry Maguire

Manchester United paid a huge £80 million lump sum for Harry Maguire, it has emerged.

United shattered the world record transfer fee for a defender in August

167908641_SWJR.JPG.0cb77f4d72758da7f397d2d13a189027.JPG

17 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Or just not ready for the PL just yet? 

He was ......last year ............according to BR.  This article definitely has a strong odor similar to that of a sewage treatment works.

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah it's a tough one, has been since we got promoted really. even ulloa was playing instead of vardy, and when he dropped down the pecking order eventually he kicked off and asked to leave. 

we don't currently have enough games/big games to keep a full squad happy, but we need to plan for the possibility that we will do next year. but not sure who would come here on the off chance of getting a game or two next year. 

Thats the issue. Players are more likely to settle for bench spots at clubs like Utd and Arsenal, but will want 1st team football here. If we're spending big money on players, they're coming here to play not sit on the bench. In the case of CB, which of Caglar or Evans will we drop. 

46 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I'm reading from that we aren't too enamoured with Benkovic. Whilst he impressed at Celtic in the SPL, now he's stepped up a level to Leicester U23s seems he doesn't stand out.

I'm reading his fitness levels aren't miraculously going improve unless he plays regularly and competitively and therefore we want to loan him out and bring in a long term Morgan if we can in January. Failing that, a loan move for someone the way we let Silva go and brought in Tielemans.

• Like 2

I can't be bothered to look myself because I am lazy but, never the one to miss an opportunity to be obtuse......  Wasn't there someone on here recently being a right nobber and stating "as fact" that we got hardly anything upfront and most the deal was add ons?

Hopefully we don't buy a high priced CB. I would be happier with a number of signings like Soy and Benkovic (but in different positions) who can become important players in the future.  We need to be careful here and not just spunk a load of money for no reason.

X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

He was ......last year ............according to BR.  This article definitely has a strong odor similar to that of a sewage treatment works.

I'm not sure talent is the issue, more that he struggles to stay fit for any decent amount of time.

Doesn't matter how good a player you are if the club can't get you on the pitch!