Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dormelcfc

Mahrez 'lost two years at Leicester'

Recommended Posts

It may be that he is looking for an excuse because he isn’t used by Man City in their truly big games. Either way, it’s a bit uncalled for. You got your move and we’ve replaced you, with not one but two very very talented players (Tielemans and Madders). I always said it but both have the potential to surpass Riyad simply because they will play with far better players at international level.

 

I must admit I was always worried when Mahrez went but recruitment here has shown not to worry. Replacing N’golo was always the biggest task - Wilf has taken two/three years to get close to that level. Mahrez’s replacement was a lot easier to source that we did it twice. 

 

Live and let live Riyad. We are happy with the move and you should be too. Enjoy the history made, no need to keep looking back.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than failing to mention the Champions League quarter final, he isn't saying much wrong? So it should have been "I lost one year at the highest level".

 

People are too focused on him mentioning interest from Arsenal (who might have been great with him), rather than him just generally saying "if I'd left for a top team", which we really weren't after Kante left.

 

I guess it would also be unfair to say we were fighting relegation in 17/18. But playing for mid-table mediocrity under Shakespeare and Puel, regardless of not fighting against relegation as his quote suggests, would have certainly felt like a wasted year.. but maybe if he stepped up to the challenge, then we would have gotten 7th and Europa.

 

But then maybe Puel would still be managing here. It is all ifs and buts.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, murphy said:

He 'literally' didn't.  There were 'literally' no bids for him.  Don't you remember him sulking in an airport lounge like Miss Havisham waiting for his phone to ring?  Embarrassing.

 

The first bid we got for him was from Roma the following year, the same year that he was allowed to go to Man City.

 

Lots of lazy assumptions on this forum.

 

In truth, I'm more annoyed at the lack of self respect from some of our fans.  Why would you still defend such an 'orrible ingrate and prima donna?

Seconded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find the timing of this article interesting, just as we finally go above Man City.. 

 

Wonder if Pep has had a whisper in Riyad’s ear to try and distract our players, get them thinking of moves away..

Well too bad Pep, that ain’t gonna work any more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Other than failing to mention the Champions League quarter final, he isn't saying much wrong? So it should have been "I lost one year at the highest level".

 

People are too focused on him mentioning interest from Arsenal (who might have been great with him), rather than him just generally saying "if I'd left for a top team", which we really weren't after Kante left.

 

I guess it would also be unfair to say we were fighting relegation in 17/18. But playing for mid-table mediocrity under Shakespeare and Puel, regardless of not fighting against relegation as his quote suggests, would have certainly felt like a wasted year.. but maybe if he stepped up to the challenge, then we would have gotten 7th and Europa.

 

But then maybe Puel would still be managing here. It is all ifs and buts.

 

 

Any player could say they've wasted time not playing for a top team but the way Mahrez is speaking (or his quotes have appeared) is as though we've stopped him joining Arsenal in 2016 when I've seen nobody in my search suggest that they put in a bid for him and we rejected it. There can't have been a release clause similar to Vardy's or Kante's because he would've been off so how close was this move?

 

He mentioned the interest from Arsenal, he also says we stopped him going. So what bid did we reject?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all ended quite sadly, he didn’t want to be here and made it obvious, he wanted a “big” club but nobody met our valuation and made a bid as far as we know, Roma was never a realistic option in my opinion, I’m sure we’ll all have great memories of Mahrez but the memories are tarnished by the disrespect he showed the club that made him the player he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a wanker.

 

Shame Liverpool weren’t interested in him, he’d suit them right to the ground with his woe is me, self pitiful attitude.

 

Edited by Matt
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange article considering he’s stalking about joining Arsenal as a really good idea but otherwise he clearly wanted to leave so I’m not too bothered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

He shouldn't have signed a contract when no one else wanted him.

 

He shouldn't agree to interviews with British tabloids and dodgy online sports pages in the first place.

Reeks of bad PR management.

 

What's the point in the article, anyway? We got some serious £££ for the transfer, and he got his dream move. Everyone wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be misinterpreted but bit of a w**** quote tbh. Have total respect for the guy during his time here but it leaves a bad taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay the woman who looks after your kids while you earn £200,000 a week, you absolute freeloader.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Izzy said:

When all said and done and we're on our death beds thinking back to the glorious PL win, all we'll remember is his brilliance that season and his integral part in creating history. We'll probably never have another Leicester player in our lifetime who wins the PFA player of the year award either.

 

The rest is all noise and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

 

I don't really care what he says now or what he does now. All I care about is how fvckin incredible he was for us that season.

i actually think most of this forum have already brushed aside the fact he was probably the best player in the world when he helped us win the league, just because he wanted to leave a few seasons later. so i don't think that's true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Corky said:

Any player could say they've wasted time not playing for a top team but the way Mahrez is speaking (or his quotes have appeared) is as though we've stopped him joining Arsenal in 2016 when I've seen nobody in my search suggest that they put in a bid for him and we rejected it. There can't have been a release clause similar to Vardy's or Kante's because he would've been off so how close was this move?

 

He mentioned the interest from Arsenal, he also says we stopped him going. So what bid did we reject?

We probably made it clear to other clubs that any move for him would be absurdly expensive. Surely plenty of clubs would have had some interest for whatever would have been a fair, less-inflated price back then. (Obviously we were under no obligation to sell though, but you can understand, even if not agree, how someone like Mahrez would say "Leicester blocked me".)

 

And just because there wasn't noise in the media about other clubs inquiring, doesn't mean they didn't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScouseFox said:

i actually think most of this forum have already brushed aside the fact he was probably the best player in the world when he helped us win the league, just because he wanted to leave a few seasons later. so i don't think that's true. 

Well obviously. People care about what you say as well as what you do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, murphy said:

He 'literally' didn't.  There were 'literally' no bids for him.  Don't you remember him sulking in an airport lounge like Miss Havisham waiting for his phone to ring?  Embarrassing.

 

The first bid we got for him was from Roma the following year, the same year that he was allowed to go to Man City.

 

Lots of lazy assumptions on this forum.

 

In truth, I'm more annoyed at the lack of self respect from some of our fans.  Why would you still defend such an 'orrible ingrate and prima donna?

I mean he literally did the same way as I’ve missed out on many years at the top level too, bid or no bid. 
 

Probably defend him (if that’s what I’m doing) because I’ve never met him personally and my only experience of him is making me very happy while watching him play 👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i actually think most of this forum have already brushed aside the fact he was probably the best player in the world when he helped us win the league, just because he wanted to leave a few seasons later. so i don't think that's true. 

What!! Best player in the world ffs Messi, Ronaldo etc. etc. etc have just died laughing. He wasn't even the best player in the team .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

What!! Best player in the world ffs Messi, Ronaldo etc. etc. etc have just died laughing. He wasn't even the best player in the team .

leicester-citys-riyad-mahrez-with-his-pf

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People getting irate about the arsenal thing, have to consider how many points did he win us a season practically on his own? Would have done the same for arsenal, not sure how many points they missed out on to qualify for champs league in them 2 seasons but he'd have got them a lot closer, best player I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt, shame he's a complete **** if them comments are accurate, though, no doubt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the whole obsession with “lack of respect” based on players’ actions, or other fans’ takes.  Players can make you more or less happy, but “embarrassed”?   You’ll never know them.  You have no control over what they do.  They are NO reflection on you.

 

Self respect begins with rejecting dependence on your perception of others’ views of you.  LCFC is my club.  I’m thrilled to follow a rising power.  I’m human enough to feel a bit of pride.  But at the end of the day, I don’t care greatly what other fans think.  It’s a club that reflects my values, and my own hard-earned view of leadership.  Run by people (and I emphatically include Susan Whelan) I look up to and would emulate.

 

Riyad Mahrez’ demonstrated value as a human is on the football pitch.  The club got value out of him, he got value out of the club.  What he may think or say about it now, is low on my list of priorities.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Piece in the Guardian today has noticed how well he’s done since leaving us

 

1) Mahrez has failed to convince Guardiola of his worth

Riyad Mahrez impressed only in spells during his first season at Manchester City but, with Leroy Sané felled by a cruciate injury in August’s Community Shield victory, the onus was on the £60m man to step up. An imperious performance at West Ham on the opening day of the season suggested he would do exactly that, yet he has started only four league games since – two of those being defeats – and with his side desperate for goals in a critical game at Anfield he was not called on at all. Mahrez remains a magical player on his day but the suspicion remains that he is a player who reflects his team’s performance rather than dictates it. City broke the bank to sign Mahrez from Leicester. With their defence a shambles, it looks in hindsight like a woeful misjudgment. Alex Hess

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...