Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dormelcfc

Mahrez 'lost two years at Leicester'

Other than failing to mention the Champions League quarter final, he isn't saying much wrong? So it should have been "I lost one year at the highest level".

People are too focused on him mentioning interest from Arsenal (who might have been great with him), rather than him just generally saying "if I'd left for a top team", which we really weren't after Kante left.

I guess it would also be unfair to say we were fighting relegation in 17/18. But playing for mid-table mediocrity under Shakespeare and Puel, regardless of not fighting against relegation as his quote suggests, would have certainly felt like a wasted year.. but maybe if he stepped up to the challenge, then we would have gotten 7th and Europa.

But then maybe Puel would still be managing here. It is all ifs and buts.

36 minutes ago, murphy said:

He 'literally' didn't.  There were 'literally' no bids for him.  Don't you remember him sulking in an airport lounge like Miss Havisham waiting for his phone to ring?  Embarrassing.

The first bid we got for him was from Roma the following year, the same year that he was allowed to go to Man City.

Lots of lazy assumptions on this forum.

In truth, I'm more annoyed at the lack of self respect from some of our fans.  Why would you still defend such an 'orrible ingrate and prima donna?

Seconded.

I find the timing of this article interesting, just as we finally go above Man City.. 

Wonder if Pep has had a whisper in Riyad’s ear to try and distract our players, get them thinking of moves away..

Well too bad Pep, that ain’t gonna work any more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FireFox said:

Other than failing to mention the Champions League quarter final, he isn't saying much wrong? So it should have been "I lost one year at the highest level".

People are too focused on him mentioning interest from Arsenal (who might have been great with him), rather than him just generally saying "if I'd left for a top team", which we really weren't after Kante left.

I guess it would also be unfair to say we were fighting relegation in 17/18. But playing for mid-table mediocrity under Shakespeare and Puel, regardless of not fighting against relegation as his quote suggests, would have certainly felt like a wasted year.. but maybe if he stepped up to the challenge, then we would have gotten 7th and Europa.

But then maybe Puel would still be managing here. It is all ifs and buts.

Any player could say they've wasted time not playing for a top team but the way Mahrez is speaking (or his quotes have appeared) is as though we've stopped him joining Arsenal in 2016 when I've seen nobody in my search suggest that they put in a bid for him and we rejected it. There can't have been a release clause similar to Vardy's or Kante's because he would've been off so how close was this move?

He mentioned the interest from Arsenal, he also says we stopped him going. So what bid did we reject?

It all ended quite sadly, he didn’t want to be here and made it obvious, he wanted a “big” club but nobody met our valuation and made a bid as far as we know, Roma was never a realistic option in my opinion, I’m sure we’ll all have great memories of Mahrez but the memories are tarnished by the disrespect he showed the club that made him the player he is.

3 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

He shouldn't have signed a contract when no one else wanted him.

He shouldn't agree to interviews with British tabloids and dodgy online sports pages in the first place.

Reeks of bad PR management.

What's the point in the article, anyway? We got some serious £££ for the transfer, and he got his dream move. Everyone wins.

59 minutes ago, Izzy said:

When all said and done and we're on our death beds thinking back to the glorious PL win, all we'll remember is his brilliance that season and his integral part in creating history. We'll probably never have another Leicester player in our lifetime who wins the PFA player of the year award either.

The rest is all noise and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I don't really care what he says now or what he does now. All I care about is how fvckin incredible he was for us that season.

i actually think most of this forum have already brushed aside the fact he was probably the best player in the world when he helped us win the league, just because he wanted to leave a few seasons later. so i don't think that's true. 

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

Any player could say they've wasted time not playing for a top team but the way Mahrez is speaking (or his quotes have appeared) is as though we've stopped him joining Arsenal in 2016 when I've seen nobody in my search suggest that they put in a bid for him and we rejected it. There can't have been a release clause similar to Vardy's or Kante's because he would've been off so how close was this move?

He mentioned the interest from Arsenal, he also says we stopped him going. So what bid did we reject?

We probably made it clear to other clubs that any move for him would be absurdly expensive. Surely plenty of clubs would have had some interest for whatever would have been a fair, less-inflated price back then. (Obviously we were under no obligation to sell though, but you can understand, even if not agree, how someone like Mahrez would say "Leicester blocked me".)

And just because there wasn't noise in the media about other clubs inquiring, doesn't mean they didn't.

• Like 1

Just now, ScouseFox said:

i actually think most of this forum have already brushed aside the fact he was probably the best player in the world when he helped us win the league, just because he wanted to leave a few seasons later. so i don't think that's true. 

Well obviously. People care about what you say as well as what you do...

1 hour ago, murphy said:

He 'literally' didn't.  There were 'literally' no bids for him.  Don't you remember him sulking in an airport lounge like Miss Havisham waiting for his phone to ring?  Embarrassing.

The first bid we got for him was from Roma the following year, the same year that he was allowed to go to Man City.

Lots of lazy assumptions on this forum.

In truth, I'm more annoyed at the lack of self respect from some of our fans.  Why would you still defend such an 'orrible ingrate and prima donna?

I mean he literally did the same way as I’ve missed out on many years at the top level too, bid or no bid. 

Probably defend him (if that’s what I’m doing) because I’ve never met him personally and my only experience of him is making me very happy while watching him play 👍🏼

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

What!! Best player in the world ffs Messi, Ronaldo etc. etc. etc have just died laughing. He wasn't even the best player in the team .

People getting irate about the arsenal thing, have to consider how many points did he win us a season practically on his own? Would have done the same for arsenal, not sure how many points they missed out on to qualify for champs league in them 2 seasons but he'd have got them a lot closer, best player I've ever seen in a Leicester shirt, shame he's a complete **** if them comments are accurate, though, no doubt.

• Like 1

I don’t get the whole obsession with “lack of respect” based on players’ actions, or other fans’ takes.  Players can make you more or less happy, but “embarrassed”?   You’ll never know them.  You have no control over what they do.  They are NO reflection on you.

Self respect begins with rejecting dependence on your perception of others’ views of you.  LCFC is my club.  I’m thrilled to follow a rising power.  I’m human enough to feel a bit of pride.  But at the end of the day, I don’t care greatly what other fans think.  It’s a club that reflects my values, and my own hard-earned view of leadership.  Run by people (and I emphatically include Susan Whelan) I look up to and would emulate.

Riyad Mahrez’ demonstrated value as a human is on the football pitch.  The club got value out of him, he got value out of the club.  What he may think or say about it now, is low on my list of priorities.

• Like 3

Piece in the Guardian today has noticed how well he’s done since leaving us

1) Mahrez has failed to convince Guardiola of his worth

Riyad Mahrez impressed only in spells during his first season at Manchester City but, with Leroy Sané felled by a cruciate injury in August’s Community Shield victory, the onus was on the £60m man to step up. An imperious performance at West Ham on the opening day of the season suggested he would do exactly that, yet he has started only four league games since – two of those being defeats – and with his side desperate for goals in a critical game at Anfield he was not called on at all. Mahrez remains a magical player on his day but the suspicion remains that he is a player who reflects his team’s performance rather than dictates it. City broke the bank to sign Mahrez from Leicester. With their defence a shambles, it looks in hindsight like a woeful misjudgment. Alex Hess

Edited by Mike Oxlong

4 hours ago, Simoken said:

Do people never learn..... How many times have a media outlet misinterpret and make a mountain our of thin air... shame on you for adding petrol to the fire. Guarantee this is exactly that.

I contest that you are in any position to offer that guarantee.

And mahrez can FOAD. The massive bellend.

Good of the media to sit on it until it has the greatest impact in making him look a prize tit.

• Haha 1