Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dormelcfc

Mahrez 'lost two years at Leicester'

3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Let's get it right, we picked this fisherman up from some dock in France, make him a world beater and he's got ****ing cheek to give it biggun after spending a year on bench and collecting the same amount of medals as Phil Foden. You're the Arab Samir Nasri mate, hows about you pipe down and MIND THE GAP. 

Pretty sure that Samir Nasri is also Algerian!lol

• Like 1

Blaming Leicester because he cannot make the Man City starting 11? Pathetic. Says everything about who he is as a man and a competitor. 

Riyad, the reason you are failing at Man City is that you aren't good enough. You were bought as a very high-level back-up who Pep believed he could eventually fashion into a starter. Maybe you will be at some point, idk. But you are the reason you didn't start vs. Liverpool. You are the reason you aren't starting regularly.

Take some f'ing responsibility for yourself.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

i'm still pretty good mates with someone i used to work with at greggs when i was a teenager, doesn't mean i wanted to spend my whole life working 16 hours a week there just because a couple of the fellas were sound 

Are you comparing Leicester City Football Club, the greatest sports team in the history of the universe, to Greggs? :angry:

:revenge:

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

i'm still pretty good mates with someone i used to work with at greggs when i was a teenager, doesn't mean i wanted to spend my whole life working 16 hours a week there just because a couple of the fellas were sound 

Shut up and get me a pasty.

• Haha 2

If the translated quotes are correct stupid thing to say.

But realistically once we got him to stay we should have matched the players ambitions and created something the season after winning the league. We bought some absolute shit and did nothing to say to these players we want to continue this and be a top four team and keep challenging. Can understand now frustrating that would be when you’ve just been the best player in the league the year before 

The players like Mahrez, Drinkwater, Maguire who are desperate to leave Leicester City for the big clubs are the ones responsible to destabilize their teammates confidence and by doing this they contribute to maintain the Leicester City average club image in players mind preventing them to try to go for the top positions. They should learn from Vardy who stayed and believed in his club and as a consequence he's now at a better level.

• Like 1

Here’s a separate translation from GFFN, if anyone cares.

Riyad Mahrez: “I nearly joined Arsenal in the summer of 2016.”

Speaking in an interview with France Football, Algerian international and Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez discussed how he nearly joined Arsenal, being in contention for the Ballon D’Or, Leicester City blocking his exit and a lack of playing time under Pep Guardiola last season.

On the Ballon D’Or:

It is nice (to be nominated), it proves that I am in the process of coming back, little by little. Over the last two years, they (Sadio Mané & Mo Salah) have stolen a march on me, because I was still at Leicester. We did not have the team to play for the top positions like they did. Last season, when I didn’t play a lot, I was convinced that I was going to have a strong AFCON. I know myself, when I play matches consistently, I can score a lot of goals, provide assists and have everything at its best. In Egypt, I got my revenge. Before the competition, I would not stop repeating this to my friends.

Did this lack of matches make you feel fragile?

At the end of the season, I spent several matches on the bench. Mentally, it was very difficult to live with. But in training I put everything into it because I still had this aim with Algeria. I said to myself: ‘Go for it, at one moment Pep (Guardiola) will need you.’

After winning the Premier League Player of the Year in 2016, a lot of people said that you were a one-season wonder:

That made me laugh. My career had just begun. I had only had one year in the Premier League and then I have a crazy year. How could you say that I had the season of my life when I was just making my beginnings at the highest level. Aside from that, people judge harshly. I had a good Champions’ League campaign, going until the quarter-finals. I was not brilliant, but we should not lie either, we didn’t have the team to set the world alight.

Where did the frustration come from about being in this team?

After the year of the title, had I left for a top team, it would not have been the same story. For me, it is clear that I have lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at the age of 27, I would have maybe been 24 or 25.

Why didn’t you leave?

Leicester blocked me. They said to me: ‘You shall not leave! You shall not leave!’ My agent had spoken with Wenger who really wanted me, it was nearly done with Arsenal in the summer of 2016.

What were your experiences of the two years at Leicester after winning the title?

I was truly frustrated. It is not easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team that is fighting to stave off relegation. It is not the same job. Everyone is waiting to criticise you, everyone jumps on your back. It was not at all the same team. N’Golo Kanté left for Chelsea. We were involved in the Champions’ League, playing every three days, we were not prepared for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sod Mahrez he is old news. I am not going to waste any of my time worrying about his childish petulance. He deserves his bench warming role at Man City. At Leicester he was a big fish in the bowl, at MC he is just a minnow in a lake. In December Pep won't start him against us thinking he's not good enough to play us. Will need his true first team.

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Speaking in an interview with France Football, Algerian international and Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez discussed how he nearly joined Arsenal, being in contention for the Ballon D’Or, Leicester City blocking his exit and a lack of playing time under Pep Guardiola last season.

On the Ballon D’Or:

It is nice (to be nominated), it proves that I am in the process of coming back, little by little. Over the last two years, they (Sadio Mané & Mo Salah) have stolen a march on me, because I was still at Leicester. We did not have the team to play for the top positions like they did. Last season, when I didn’t play a lot, I was convinced that I was going to have a strong AFCON. I know myself, when I play matches consistently, I can score a lot of goals, provide assists and have everything at its best. In Egypt, I got my revenge. Before the competition, I would not stop repeating this to my friends.

At the end of the season, I spent several matches on the bench. Mentally, it was very difficult to live with. But in training I put everything into it because I still had this aim with Algeria. I said to myself: ‘Go for it, at one moment Pep (Guardiola) will need you.’

After winning the Premier League Player of the Year in 2016, a lot of people said that you were a one-season wonder:

That made me laugh. My career had just begun. I had only had one year in the Premier League and then I have a crazy year. How could you say that I had the season of my life when I was just making my beginnings at the highest level. Aside from that, people judge harshly. I had a good Champions’ League campaign, going until the quarter-finals. I was not brilliant, but we should not lie either, we didn’t have the team to set the world alight.

After the year of the title, had I left for a top team, it would not have been the same story. For me, it is clear that I have lost two years at the highest level. I lost two years! Because instead of arriving at City at the age of 27, I would have maybe been 24 or 25.

Why didn’t you leave?

Leicester blocked me. They said to me: ‘You shall not leave! You shall not leave!’ My agent had spoken with Wenger who really wanted me, it was nearly done with Arsenal in the summer of 2016.

What were your experiences of the two years at Leicester after winning the title?

I was truly frustrated. It is not easy to go from being the best player in the Premier League to being a part of a team that is fighting to stave off relegation. It is not the same job. Everyone is waiting to criticise you, everyone jumps on your back. It was not at all the same team. N’Golo Kanté left for Chelsea. We were involved in the Champions’ League, playing every three days, we were not prepared for that.

**** him and the horse he rode in on. Arrogant little tw*t.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, brucey said:

On the Ballon D’Or:

Why didn’t you leave?

To be honest, that doesn't really offend me. He is well within his rights to think that way, it didn't really prevent him from performing for us except after the winter of 17/18. I think he shows a lack of perspective in that of course we couldn't sell him for the peanuts Arsenal undoubtedly would have bid for him, especially after losing Kanté that way, and he has taken a selfish view, but who cares? He's gone now.

I think a lot of his anger is directed at no clubs coming in for him seriously, and not at Leicester actually keeping him. Must have been a blow to his ego.

Mahrez will always be a foxes legend to me like Kante, Vardy, Fuchs and others. He's supremely talented and blessed with skill. Bamboozling defenses throughout the Premier league without fear. I know he wasn't happy being held back when he wanted to go but it was for the good of the club and the player. Regarding the Arses I think there was more chance of him playing for Roma the only club who put their money where their mouthes were but didnt meet our asking price. Anyway thats all history he should knuckle down and try and get on the pitch at City instead of grumbling about the past. If he's not happy about his lack of game time than move on. Live in the moment not the past Riyad and create more history. Save the disappointments for your autobiography when you hang your boots up one day :)

6 hours ago, K1FOX said:

But realistically once we got him to stay we should have matched the players ambitions and created something the season after winning the league. We bought some absolute shit and did nothing to say to these players we want to continue this and be a top four team and keep challenging. Can understand now frustrating that would be when you’ve just been the best player in the league the year before 

I agree. We have also wanted three years of Vardy. Thankfully, he stayed but had he left we would have been in trouble

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

To be honest, that doesn't really offend me. He is well within his rights to think that way, it didn't really prevent him from performing for us except after the winter of 17/18. I think he shows a lack of perspective in that of course we couldn't sell him for the peanuts Arsenal undoubtedly would have bid for him, especially after losing Kanté that way, and he has taken a selfish view, but who cares? He's gone now.

I think a lot of his anger is directed at no clubs coming in for him seriously, and not at Leicester actually keeping him. Must have been a blow to his ego.

The fact he wanted to leave and in his eyes better himself doesn't offend me either. It's this whole I wasted 2 years, he got to play in the CL and went the furthest of any English team.

Also why I guess you can argue the toss over getting paid well, if you are that desperate to get out of a club, don't sign that new deal giving more power to your employer. 

I was told he had a good relationship with the club in general and rate him as one if not the best I've seen in our shirt and would have always loved to see him come back some day.

This article puts a different spin on that for me now and no that's not me being a snowflake, I think it just smacks of ungratefulness.

I'll be forever grateful for what he helped achieve and his link up with Vardy will live long in the memory but it really is a shame footballers just occasionally can't think before opening their mouths.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Some of that shit was brought to try keep Mahrez happy tho wasn't it :ph34r:

• Like 2

Good player that is now warming the Manchester City bench as predicted!

Actually we prolonged his playing career for 2 years as he has been stop start for MCFC ever since.

Good Player but certainly no world beater, his attitude is poor and clearly baby like when he cannot get his own way.

As we can see from are team now, cohesion and togetherness is the winning formula not sulking and departure lounges.

7 hours ago, Sand cats said:

The players like Mahrez, Drinkwater, Maguire who are desperate to leave Leicester City for the big clubs are the ones responsible to destabilize their teammates confidence and by doing this they contribute to maintain the Leicester City average club image in players mind preventing them to try to go for the top positions. They should learn from Vardy who stayed and believed in his club and as a consequence he's now at a better level.

It just shows that you can stay at a so called smaller club and maintain the accolade of being a world class footballer as Jamie Vardy is.

• Like 1

I think this shows how well our club did in getting a decent fee for him. Terrible blame attitude. I'll never forget his contribution but I'll also never forget Kante bailing out or Mahrez downing tools and contributing towards the pressure on Ranieri.

We will be the only fans that remember him in 20 years time, he appears to be doing his level best to destroy that bond, and probably doesn't care.