Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2019/2020

54 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

That was awful from Cahill. When he was on about not having many players in the box in some of the examples we had loads in. He then looks at second half and says now they have many more players in the box while showing a clip with 1 Leicester player in there. 

Glad that I'm not the only one who noticed that lollollol

Cahill's commentary was like "Here's what Leicester were doing wrong first half. Look, here's a clip where they're crossing into the box, and it's going to a Spurs defender! But now look at their better second half - they made a pass and it went to their player, and that let them score a goal".

I mean, no shit, sometimes your crosses don't always go to your own players. Cahill was desperately trying to find something that we did differently that let us score the goal, when in reality, we played the same way (and played well) pretty much most of the game.

I'm normally pretty 'meh' on punditry, but this was especially bad.

Edited by Charl91

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So? 

If that was the case you'd have everyone intentionally staying beyond the line of defence near the goal waiting for rebounds. 

The ruling is quite clear in this case. 

I think you're right... thats how they interpret it.

But back.in the day... if the ball was played to you from a defender even if you're in an offside position (eg if you move to intercept a likely back pass) you are not offside.

If the ball had been played fwd to ayoze he would have been off side... but it was played to the goalie who played it to ayoze.  Has the rule changed?

29 minutes ago, Suffolk exile said:

How could there be no reference to Cags or Evans in their summary? Both completely outstanding. 

I felt there was very little reference to the quality of the game in general.

For me, yesterdays match was one of the most exciting Leicester games I've seen in a while, played between two excellent teams who were both fully committed.

There were loads of standout performances and loads of examples of quality play, yet all we get is Shearer and Cahill banging on about VAR.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Izzy said:

For me, yesterdays match was one of the most exciting Leicester games I've seen in a while, played between two excellent teams who were both fully committed.

There were loads of standout performances and loads of examples of quality play, yet all we get is Shearer and Cahill banging on about VAR.

Agreed. VAR is the hot topic so they're bound to talk about it. 

However they could have done both. The highlights didn't reflect the frenetic and frantic start of the openness of the game throughout I though. 

Even just showing Sissoko's and Evans' challenges would have helped. Bit of analysis on Aurier's poor positioning and crossing (like BT Sport did) or Soyuncu's performance/partnership with Evans. 

All we got was Cahill saying we don't have players in the box. Then we do! Wow I'm so enlightened. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Almost feel they go through the motion on MOTD, no passion! Compare to the NFL show on BBC which is funny and has passion because of the chemistry of the pundits. 

MOTD seems to choose the most wooden and boring pundits, Shearer, Cahill, Jenas etc

I love Lineker and he's still my boyhood hero, but I'd sack him off MOTD now (and Shearer)

They've been doing it for years and to me they seem a bit complacent now.

Time for a shake up and some fresh blood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I love Lineker and he's still my boyhood hero, but I'd sack him off MOTD now (and Shearer)

Bring in Chris Buffoon and Glen Twaddle:ph34r:

35 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just compare them to Soccer Saturday, there just no energy, not fun!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

I don't think you can watch MOTD expecting any genuine sense of the flow of the game, the quality of the overall performance, or anything other than key incidents really. 

This. Its just a crap highlights program squeezed into an hour or so.

A few "expert" insights from former players and jermaine jenas.

Gets pissed on by skys coverage and the only reason it warrants a thread on here is because its on free to air tv minus the joke tv license.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

When I watched the game back last night Hoddle kept calling Gazzaniga 'gazzanazi' lol

I watched it when I got back in last night and tbf, even though I don’t like the bloke, his commentary was very good and inciteful. He seemed to spot things that could happen well in advance and was usually right.  Fair play.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Almost feel they go through the motion on MOTD, no passion! Compare to the NFL show on BBC which is funny and has passion because of the chemistry of the pundits. 

MOTD seems to choose the most wooden and boring pundits, Shearer, Cahill, Jenas etc

It's the talking that's shit, they over analyse everything.

There is an interview on YouTube with Brian Clough, by John Motson, and Clough sums up how I feel about MOTD. Taking away the enjoyment of sitting down and watching games by analysing everything.

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I’m with you Muzzett ...  MOTD is getting worse, sh1te editing and focus on all the wrong things.  The match itself was fantastic with two teams really going for it ...   I was hoarse afterwards and it took many pints in the Clarendon to get my throat re-lubed ! ...    :)

• Like 1

I just can't get over Pochettino saying they dominated us. The stats show we were the better side - More shots on target and more shots overall.

Ok, it doesn't always tell the story, taking into account the VAR controversy. But ultimately we deserved the 3 points.

Pochettino just won't forgive us for not rolling over in 2016 it seems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kendal Fox said:

I just can't get over Pochettino saying they dominated us. The stats show we were the better side - More shots on target and more shots overall.

Ok, it doesn't always tell the story, taking into account the VAR controversy. But ultimately we deserved the 3 points.

Pochettino just won't forgive us for not rolling over in 2016 it seems. 

They played the prettier football

they lost 

I can't be alone in recording MOTD and fast forwarding through the punditry/analysis. I do make an exception and listen to what they say about Leicester but it is invariably ill informed or the bleedin' obvious.

I watch a lot of golf, cricket, rugby union and NFL and the pundits on those sports are generally excellent - it's enjoyable and educating to hear what they say.

Football punditry on the other hand is virtually unwatchable bar Gary Neville and the brilliant James Richardson and his foreign journalist panel on BT's Champions League goals show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I can't be alone in recording MOTD and fast forwarding through the punditry/analysis. I do make an exception and listen to what they say about Leicester but it is invariably ill informed or the bleedin' obvious.

I watch a lot of golf, cricket, rugby union and NFL and the pundits on those sports are generally excellent - it's enjoyable and educating to hear what they say.

Football punditry on the other hand is virtually unwatchable bar Gary Neville and the brilliant James Richardson and his foreign journalist panel on BT's Champions League goals show.

Agree with this, although i think souness (bar his pogba bias) is class.

The cricket analysis is phenemonal, Hussain is so good.

Most of the new pundits on the scene are so dull, and seem so biased towards the clubs they played for. Jenas, Murphy and Sutton being the worst IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Yes all agreed.

Football punditry has too many ‘names’ / old footballers, many of whom can hardly string a sentence together in coherent English.

The solution is to utilise journalists

such as your example of James Richardson, and there are many more that would fit the bill.

The old professionals phrase / chestnut of “he’s never played the game” (meaning: so his opinions are worthless) has proven as wrong as it always sounded.

• Like 2