Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

3 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Streamed both games (one muted) on a hard wired 30mb speed on my pc and had no problem with either. 

My only concern and its not major as its way better than illegal streams which can be several mins behind, is that it was about 30/40 secs behind actual time. 

Quality was top notch (HD) and no pixelation or buffering. 9/10 for me and hope this is the future

Have fun watching it in reality later!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If a multicast system like this were to minimise disruption to kick off times then yeah I'll be behind this. But if kick off times are still going all over the place then it's no improvement for the people that matter.

Yeah, if we could find a way of having more games on whilst almost cutting the different amount of kick-off times then you'd have a better balance between the home viewer and the matchgoing fan. Plus it would reduce arguments about fairness with regards to when teams play compared to others.

Even from a drama point of view, having games played at the same time adds that edge. The title race was interesting last season but I felt it lost something when both teams played at different times so knew the result of the other one. It's a shame that the last day of the season is probably the only time after January that top teams are likely to play at exactly the same time.

When I lived in the USA fully 15 years ago now you could pick which match you wanted to view at stupid o'clock in the morning so you could always watch your team if you wished to. Sky and BT is so last Century with their big team billing to boost advertising revenue where all fans will get to watch their team play at least 6 times a year when they play one of the big teams, however if you supported Manchester united well you'd get at least 35 live games a season. So with the Amazon pick a match option that is just what it should be like and what it has been like for Sky coverage to other networks overseas for decades.

I'm surprised people are generally pretty ok with this. I don't know if there is another thread about the more long term impact of Amazon getting involved but I think this is worse for the game long term.

Good article from Barney Ronay here...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/02/amazon-prime-premier-league-football-arrival-tv-hefty-price

With the entry of a third major provider it remains a late-stage capitalism kind of choice. No matter how glossy and fun the Amazon product, how high the players’ salaries, English football fans are basically still being sold the same things they already owned in the first place.

The prospects for genuine change depend on how far Amazon intends to go. This is a company with pockets deep enough to effectively take control, to blow Sky out of the water. Amazon Prime is the most profitable part of the business. With the Premier League thrown in it would perhaps generate significant growth in the same way Premier League football carried Sky’s early satellite service.

But there are also hazards. The success of the English league is based on its strength in depth, which is in turn based around collective rights deals, the idea that all clubs in the top tier distribute revenue as evenly as possible. This is a kind of holy founding writ of the Premier League, the principle that allows clubs such as Leicester to challenge however briefly the dominance of the commercial giants.

Some clubs, most notably Manchester City, have railed against this distinctly English way of doing things. Amazon’s streaming service would make it easier than ever to disregard, to sell access individually at the click of a mouse, allowing the bigger clubs to pitch themselves as global revenue monsters to be measured only against Real Madrid, Barcelona, the Dallas Cowboys, the next series of Game of Thrones.

Edited by ajthefox

For all of you watching tonight and not in the stadium, you know if we get a last minute penalty, or there's another massive decision, you're all going to go to twitter/radio/betting site to see what's happened lol

I wouldn't wait 40-60 seconds to know the outcome.

That's why at the moment, it's flawed. 

Loved it. You can also rewind and watch from the start, which is a useful feature. 

Thought the coverage was good and I like the fact it went straight into the game. No faf. Also love that you can flick between games, would be amazing to do that on a day where we could leap frog another team. Or in a cup run etc. 

29 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

For all of you watching tonight and not in the stadium, you know if we get a last minute penalty, or there's another massive decision, you're all going to go to twitter/radio/betting site to see what's happened lol

I don't get this really. if you watching from the start through to the end sat on your soda what difference does it make if there is a 30 second lag. you wouldn't know so its same as in real time. I get the same thing when watching on Now tv its no big deal. Some streams I have used can have a two minute lag and that is annoying, especially when my missus is listening on radio Leicester/five live or whatever in another room if she is busy doing other things and starts wooping and hollering it kinda gives the game away.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Speak for yourself, I'll turn the match thread off if it becomes clear I'm a minute or so it doesn't spoil the viewing experience.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Yes, already have a similar issue with streaming audio coverage.  An app on the phone bips to say "hey, there's been a goal" half a minute before the coverage gets there.  Its a useful app at other times, but need to remember to disable notifications when streaming the game "not quite live".

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

I don’t know what this means, why would you not wait a minute to see if the penalty if scored? How impatient are you lol My iptv is normally a minute or two behind, as are things like SkyGo and Now Tv...it really isn’t a huge issue. As long as you don’t have notifications on your phone you’re golden. 

Also, unlike SkyGo, you know everybody is watching at the same time so even less of an issue. 

Edited by lildave3
  • Like 2

As noted before really don't see the problem with a tiny time lag unless you are trying to sync Tv with radio commentary (I know some people like to do this so they get the local radio coverage). I have a several Tvs around the house all fed from the same Ariel with a splitter/booster in the loft and they are often out of sync even when watching normal terrestrial TV. Must be something to do with cable lengths or more likely the tuning mechanism/processors within the TV sets. This is particularly bad between the kitchen and living room as one set is a Samsung and the other a Panasonic. Just live with it. Most of us can only watch one Tv at atime anyway so really don't see the problem. Its not like the old days of not trying to see the results before you could get home to watch the game on the old VHS recoding that you had done whilst out (and praying that you had set it to the right channel/time/day etc)

Look at Amazon this morning on the games from last night.

• Full match replay
  • Player post match interviews
  • Manager post match interviews
  • 3 minute highlights
  • 30 minute highlights
  • Option to have stadium feed or commentary feed

This is streets ahead of the crumbs we get from Sky and BT for a fraction of the cost. It should scare the big two broadcasters shitless that UK TV viewers are getting the options to this stuff. Comprehensive content. Pre-match build up for all games with good pundits, not clickbait divisive idiots. This is the standard we should be striving for now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Speak for yourself, I'll turn the match thread off if it becomes clear I'm a minute or so it doesn't spoil the viewing experience.

If you're concerned at all about having your match day experience spoiled, I recommend you never go anywhere near the godforsaken match thread

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I don’t get this moaning about a delay 

Do you think that watching on Sky or BT don’t have a delay of any kind 

I've just moved house & living in the middle of nowhere (North Nottinghamshire).  I'm still waiting for my broadband to be connected, so I'm using my mobile as a wifi hotspot for all my internet use.

Worked a treat on my TV's Amazon Prime app.  Top quality picture.  No buffering at all.  Fingers crossed for tonight 

9 minutes ago, Guest said:

If you're concerned at all about having your match day experience spoiled, I recommend you never go anywhere near the godforsaken match thread

Good advice !!

My god, things have moved on since I was a kid when you only had the cup final and home internationals as live games