Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

connection was solid

quality was tolerable - I get better HD on illegals and my MASSIVE monitor made it look poo

loved that you could turn the commentary off but keep the crowd noise. **** listening to pundit bells talk all over it with their tired shit if you don't have to. 

thought that considering it was brand new and they were breaking the sky / bt sport monopoly they could have used better tech to really make it special - for example; watching multiple games on a single screen, better interface, etc. 

was all a bit underwhelming considering the power behind amazon and it's tech. 

18 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

connection was solid

quality was tolerable - I get better HD on illegals and my MASSIVE monitor made it look poo

loved that you could turn the commentary off but keep the crowd noise. **** listening to pundit bells talk all over it with their tired shit if you don't have to. 

thought that considering it was brand new and they were breaking the sky / bt sport monopoly they could have used better tech to really make it special - for example; watching multiple games on a single screen, better interface, etc. 

was all a bit underwhelming considering the power behind amazon and it's tech. 

In all fairness this is a bit of an experiment and that would be very expensive to create. Im sure if they were able to secure a full season they would consider a heavy investment into the project. 

I live in canada and we have Dazone here that shows all the games. Its genuinely class. Feel very lucky to have it. All games are available after the fact as well so when im at work during a game I just avoid the result and watch it when I get home. (What ill be doing tonight)

Edited by Lambert09

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

In all fairness this is a bit of an experiment and that would be very expensive to create.

amazon not short of money and defo not short on tech - they're one of the most innovative tech companies in the world. 

should have gone balls out imo. 

edit: tbf, Prime is shit too and that's no experiment. 

Edited by lifted*fox

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

amazon not short of money and defo not short on tech - they're one of the most innovative tech companies in the world. 

should have gone balls out imo. 

Theyre also one of the most profit savy, they are well aware that most people are just using a free trial for this. Investing loads of money into something that wont be used again? I wouldnt fancy it with my business.  I personally hate multi screen any way, add a goal rush game that opens up if theres a goal or big moment... that'll do for me 

• Like 1

Broadcasting sport isn't new to them - they have been doing this for the tennis all year, including providing multi court coverage. I believe this is an international service, so for the big matches they have probably had higher demand than for the football.

It's definitely working better than it was, but I know so many people who have had trouble with the tennis, including the service just completely failing when key matches were on, so I remain cautious with it all. Saying that, I am generally cautious with streaming services full stop!

17 minutes ago, crazies said:

Watch it via an app for Xbox PS4 or something other than a app on your smart tv.  Was using it last night on the tv and was poor. But on the Xbox and. Firestick was loads better 

Mine's not great on the Xbox at the moment.

I can't help but resent the idea of paying multiple subscriptions just to be able to watch the games you want. 

I think the Premier League needs a 21st Century approach, and to bring coverage in-house. 

TV is digital data, the most steal-able thing on Earth. The majority of City games I watch are streamed - sometimes because I don't subscribe to the right service, mostly because nobody is showing the game I want. 

A possible model for the future is a central Premier League app, a subscription to which allows you to choose say 6 matches per month for a flat rate then add other games pay-per-view as you wish. 

• Like 1

NowTV is £20 a month if you take advantage of the special promotions. Amazon is a tenner a month for the Prime service - with TV, films and footy thrown in (effectively) for free. Given the cost of a ticket for the game, I don't get how anybody can bemoan the price of these streaming services.

Stats in split browser, commentary switchable to ground-only, and Le Saux and Hargreaves were quality tonight; a league apart from the shit experts on other channels. All told, exceptionally impressed with Amazon tonight.

• Like 2

It worked really well for me. My connection's not exactly rapid but the stream didn't buffer once and only occasionally dropped down into lower quality, and even then it was only ever for a few seconds.

Wasn't massively innovative or anything but they've obviously tried to focus on providing a really solid core experience rather than trying to wow everyone with gimmicks

Had bowling league tonight and usually when there are midweek fixture we'll all have our phones out on the table with bbc's text coverage up so it was nice being able to leave streams running instead.  My mate had a couple of buffering problems at one point in the Southampton-Norwich game but my stream ran perfectly throughout.  Good stuff.

2 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I can't help but resent the idea of paying multiple subscriptions just to be able to watch the games you want. 

I think the Premier League needs a 21st Century approach, and to bring coverage in-house. 

TV is digital data, the most steal-able thing on Earth. The majority of City games I watch are streamed - sometimes because I don't subscribe to the right service, mostly because nobody is showing the game I want. 

A possible model for the future is a central Premier League app, a subscription to which allows you to choose say 6 matches per month for a flat rate then add other games pay-per-view as you wish. 

They have this model for tennis with tennis tv - but even with that in place  they still have extensive tour coverage via amazon prime (which replaces coverage on sky) and on the whole it’s worked fairly well, albeit with a few grumbles. Sky sports tennis coverage was so good though (Far better than the football), so it was always going to be a tough act to follow. 

14 hours ago, tom27111 said:

If they sort out the delay, so it is actually live, then it would be a good thing.

Apparently, the technology isn't there quite yet, but they know how to fix it...https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45499784

I had a 3 minute delay & got my updates through the sky sports score centre.

I was told there was going to be a penalty scored before there was a penalty on screen 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Cant make Liverpool at home so will have to lock the phones away to keep the suspense. 

• Haha 1