Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Will come back to this thread on Wednesday when they're talking about Liverpool/spurs. I guess it will be different if they have different guests at each game.

Yeah they have a different pundit team for each game. We will get the same quality of coverage we got tonight I'm happy to say.

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Much prefer this to sky and bt, simply because the coverage is all about the game that you're watching, when it's sky and you've got a big derby before and after they never talk about our game; this way start to finish it's about our game and our game only, which is what it should be. 

Saved me the bother of typing this. I wish all coverage could be this way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trabuch said:

Saved me the bother of typing this. I wish all coverage could be this way.

Not just our game, but whatever the game is, you should get the build up and the analysis for the period of time the programme is on, can totally understand why if there's 3 games on a Sunday and we're in the middle v Burnley and before and after is Chelsea v spurs and man u v Liverpool we'd get shafted with Burnley but that is why this model is so much better. 

Sky are pure hype merchants, they are all about creating a narrative to generate hype whilst amazon just broke the game down in an intelligent way. 

Sky have also elevated some of their pundits to levels of importance almost on par with the game itself. At times it feels like the Neville and Carragher show with a bit of football thrown in. Which is complete bollocks. 

Also today they have had Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher commentating on Liverpool game and Arsenal legend Alan Smith comentating on arsenal's which quite frankly is insulting to thier customers who support the other clubs. 

So yeah Fuch sky... All hail our new amazon overlords! 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Corky said:

There needs to be some refining as to how we watch football, especially during this period. So far this season, we've played on Sky, BT, Amazon and Box Office. You shouldn't expect people to pay for four different services.

Totally agree with this.

A few years ago, Sky had the lot. Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.

You paid 1 subscription and knew what you got.

Then, it was decided that for fairness to customers, this monopoly had to be broken up.

Which guess what? Made the customer worse off as they had to pay a second subscription. 

I'm not saying Sky have the best coverage, but when one network shows everything you want to see, it's less hassle for the consumer.

We're ripped off with football enough in this country, compared to the rest of the world. Especially considering pre-covid, you could watch any game you wanted on TV everywhere apart from the UK.

• Like 2

Top class in pretty much every department.

Absolutely pissed on Sky, whose unashamedly blatant big-club bias and obsessive need to promote their own corporate agenda is such a turn-off.

The Gabby Logan-led discussion of both us and Brighton pre-match and post-match was refreshingly knowledgeable and interesting to listen to. The interviews were also excellent.

And it was all about the football. Nothing else.

Bravo, Amazon Prime!

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

Sky are pure hype merchants, they are all about creating a narrative to generate hype whilst amazon just looked broke the game down in an intelligent way. 

Sky have also elevated some of their pundits to levels of importance almost on par with the game itself. At times it feels like the Neville and Carragher show with a bit of football thrown in. Which is complete bollocks. 

Also today they have had Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher commentating on Liverpool game and Arsenal legend Alan Smith comentating on arsenal's which quite frankly is insulting to thier customers who support the other clubs. 

So yeah Fuch sky... All hail our new amazon overlords! 

Never had sky til lockdown..would.watch their tat down the pub or on a now TV payg for a city game  

I detest them. BT i kinda like, they seem to try and enjoy any game they put on. Whereas sky are almost blatant with a vibe that screams  'we are showing this crap due to contractual reasons but next week it's Paul Pogba's Man U!'

I just detest that aussie lizard.  The thought of contributing to his pocket makes me.puke. 

I don't like Bezos either, but at least the freelancer presmeters and pundits prime recruit are, like BT, happy to discuss the game they are covering 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

I like watching football on Prime on my laptop or iPad, however picture quality just seems a little ‘off’ on my TV.

May be ok when it’s all broadcast in 4K and I get a 4K tv?

I watched it on a 4k tv and I have to say it was noticeably UHD as always. Everything looked a lot clearer than what I get with bt or sky.

I have the Amazon app on my Samsung tv. Apart from a glitch at the start the picture was high quality with no buffering or pixilation. I thought the commentary and punditry was good, unbiased and knowledgeable. So much better than sky’s big six agenda and by savage & co on bt. Pretty sure we would not get the constant iniacha or innynaho that we have to suffer during the el games.

amazon win hands down for me.

41 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Not as good camera work as Sky - Stayed on the pitch side camera too long and had 10 minutes of watching Maddison watching the game.

However the commentary and pundits have been a breath of fresh air ...... brilliant interviews by Gaby and entertaining knowledgable punditry 

I’ve been moaning about Sky BT showing pointless replays, managers etc for ages, we almost missed Barnes’ goal on Thursday but it was worst tonight. These people seemingly never watch live games from the stands.

• Like 1

It can change to low quality or lag every now and then, but the overall service Amazon gives is top notch, it was quite refreshing to see them concentrate fully on the game for once, instead of making needless conversations about other things.

I got a great deal last year with BT, that allowed me to have Amazon Prime free for a year, wanted it for the Tennis and albeit with a large chunk of the season cut, whenever a tournament is on, their service is absolute quality.

More Football games on Amazon would be the best thing possible for Premier League broadcasting.

Infinitely better than SKY. Having neutral pundits made such a difference. Itd be interesting to see what theyd do if we were playing one of the SKY 6 though.

I proper despised Shearer as a player but hes the best pundit out there right now imo purely cos he lacks the poorly contained bias that Neville, Carragher, Hoddle etc have for their respective clubs. Also him and Wright as a pair are waaay more entertaining than the SKY duo.

45 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Totally agree with this.

A few years ago, Sky had the lot. Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and League Cup.

You paid 1 subscription and knew what you got.

Then, it was decided that for fairness to customers, this monopoly had to be broken up.

Which guess what? Made the customer worse off as they had to pay a second subscription. 

I'm not saying Sky have the best coverage, but when one network shows everything you want to see, it's less hassle for the consumer.

We're ripped off with football enough in this country, compared to the rest of the world. Especially considering pre-covid, you could watch any game you wanted on TV everywhere apart from the UK.

If sky had kept the monopoly they could have charged you more than it costs now. Also the monopoly worked against the clubs, who obviously want as much as possible for their matches. 

16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If sky had kept the monopoly they could have charged you more than it costs now. Also the monopoly worked against the clubs, who obviously want as much as possible for their matches. 

Maybe  maybe not.

You'd always have had multiple companies bidding for the rights, so that would drive up how much the clubs receive. 

Another thing that annoys me and is contradictory is how BT have exclusive rights to European games.

Previously, some games had to be free to air, ITV, Channel 5.

Yet the Premier league games can't be exclusively shown by one broadcaster.

I'm sure the rules are made up as they go along.

Surely BT having sole rights to European competition is a monopoly? Something that rules were bought in to stop?

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Maybe  maybe not.

You'd always have had multiple companies bidding for the rights, so that would drive up how much the clubs receive. 

Another thing that annoys me and is contradictory is how BT have exclusive rights to European games.

Previously, some games had to be free to air, ITV, Channel 5.

Yet the Premier league games can't be exclusively shown by one broadcaster.

I'm sure the rules are made up as they go along.

Surely BT having sole rights to European competition is a monopoly? Something that rules were bought in to stop?

There's no perfect system, I'd like some more football on free to air TV but at the same time, I like the fact that our club can pay 30 millions for a player and that's down to TV money. 

• Like 1

I don’t bother with the analysis and don’t take offence at commentary - only thing I judge it on is the quality of the picture. It jumps from 240p all the way to 1080p within 20 seconds and then back again. Also occasionally audio would outrun the picture. Only happens with prime bizarrely, all my other streams work fine. In that regard it can’t compete with traditional tv.

Make’s Sky look amateurish, with adverts every 2 minutes and sensationalising everything. Liked the 10 minutes on Leicester, 10 minutes on Brighton in the build up to the game. If Sky covered the game they’d do 18 minutes on Man Utd, 1 minute on Leicester and 1 minute on Brighton. 

• Like 1

Thought the coverage was very good, as others have stated properly discussed both teams pre and post match. 

My only issue was a poorly pixilated picture on an intermittent basis throughout. I was using the app on the tv, it didn't do it for the Liverpool game earlier in the week so was annoyed with it tonight. Hopefully it'll be better on Wednesday. 

I personally quite like the nostalgia of different faces on there. I’ve seen Simon Thomas and Jim Rosenthal both presenting on there for the first time in years, Townsend as a pundit tonight and Clive Tyldesley commentating the other week. Plenty of other examples too.

Very refreshing.

Guest Harrydc

I'm not usually a fan of new technologies taking over aspects of my life which I am already used to, however I am definitely a fan of prime football. They seem to put a distinctive effort into the analysis, and as @Ian Nacho stated the lack of adverts was refreshing. Commentary wasn't too bad. Obviously the only main issue would be the quality and buffering, however that is down to our personal connection I'm guessing.