Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Amazon and football - the future?

Amazon and Premier League Football  

329 members have voted

1. 1. How was the quality?

• Excellent
    • Tolerable
    • Toilet
  2. 2. Was there lag?

• Nope
    • Just a smidgen
    • Jarring hell experience
  3. 3. The ability to pick from all matches was great, right?

• Wonderful, just wonderful
    • What? I can watch other matches on a tiny little phone screen too? Why didn't you say!

Something like what Amazon have done this week has to be the future. I get why the Premier League/Fa are cautious and are trying to protect lower league clubs but surely they will benefit from this aswell from the money gained. Keep it all in house and the money made will be astronomical.

£10 per month to watch the games of a single club (season ticket) with the option to pay an additional fee to access all the games in the prem. 

The Amazon app on the TV refused point blank to work. Tablet and phone were fine but I didn't want to share to the TV incase the score updates came before they happened in the streamed match.  It was fine on the laptop, hooked up to the TV,  slight buffering on a few occasions and the picture was pretty good. 

I’m loving the way the highlights work, you can choose from:

• Full replay
  • 30 min highlights
  • 3 min highlights
  • Each Individual goal
  • Manager reactions
  • Player reactions
  • Plus pre-match gumph as well!

Nice! :)

Edited by Phube
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, danhaw said:

Something like what Amazon have done this week has to be the future. I get why the Premier League/Fa are cautious and are trying to protect lower league clubs but surely they will benefit from this aswell from the money gained. Keep it all in house and the money made will be astronomical.

£10 per month to watch the games of a single club (season ticket) with the option to pay an additional fee to access all the games in the prem. 

£10 a month isn't enough I would happily pay more even slightly more than a sky subscription  to guarantee every match. Would the game being on telly destroy the crowds at the game? don't think so you can buy the album for a band but its not like seeing it live. split it up so you just buy the club you want will just mean the big 6 take the lion share of the cash as they have more fans. the great thing about the league is how close it is with the exception of Liverpool.

think they Could have done better with the pundits than wheel out the same old has beans who wants to hear the ramblings of savage, was the a choice of sound track I thought they said on the radio that the was if the is great would love a choice of commentary or as if you are in the home stand or away stand. it was a positive experience roll on Boxing Day.

2 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

The Issue with them having every game, or the PL doing their own subscription service, is the age old problem of being unable to televise 3pm Kick off's in this country.

PL do have subscription services in other countries, defo one in The Netherlands. 

I totally agree with you, the bit in bold is unfortunately small potatoes to the PL. They would likely have to compromise on other things to get that relaxed by the FA, and UK customers who would either take up a subscription because 3pm kick off were included, or pay slightly more for them - it such a small cost benefit for the PL I reckon.

Anyway judging by the FA's previous archaic behviour/viewpoint, they seem really unlikely to move with the times and relax this 3pm kick off blackout. :(

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I totally agree with you, the bit in bold is unfortunately small potatoes to the PL. They would likely have to compromise on other things to get that relaxed by the FA, and UK customers who would either take up a subscription because 3pm kick off were included, or pay slightly more for them - it such a small cost benefit for the PL I reckon.

Anyway judging by the FA's previous archaic behviour/viewpoint, they seem really unlikely to move with the times and relax this 3pm kick off blackout. :(

They wont relax it, it's there to protect clubs from League 1 all the day down to Step 7/8 of Non league. 

They could move to a model where all PL games kick off at a different time but then that effects match going fans in the PL. 

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

As someone who follows a couple of lower league and non-league clubs, the 3pm blackout is fair. I occasionally go to some local stuff and I absolutely know I wouldn't if I could watch a live City game at the same time on my telly. It would kill the little guys. 

the majority of people already can watch a live city game on there telly granted its not officially available but most people are able to access it.

I really don't think it would make that much of a difference.

On 04/12/2019 at 17:41, rachhere said:

Broadcasting sport isn't new to them - they have been doing this for the tennis all year, including providing multi court coverage. I believe this is an international service, so for the big matches they have probably had higher demand than for the football.

It's definitely working better than it was, but I know so many people who have had trouble with the tennis, including the service just completely failing when key matches were on, so I remain cautious with it all. Saying that, I am generally cautious with streaming services full stop!

Their tennis coverage is generally considered by those who watch it to be pretty substandard. And of course not live, ie your always a point or two behind the live action. I'm afraid I'm no fan of Amazon and won't deal with them under any circumstances. Just too many unanswered questions.

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

Their tennis coverage is generally considered by those who watch it to be pretty substandard. And of course not live, ie your always a point or two behind the live action. I'm afraid I'm no fan of Amazon and won't deal with them under any circumstances. Just too many unanswered questions.

Their football did seem better than the tennis. I already have prime so to me this isn’t a big deal, but for those who need to enroll on yet another service to watch matches, it must be frustrating 

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

Their football did seem better than the tennis. I already have prime so to me this isn’t a big deal, but for those who need to enroll on yet another service to watch matches, it must be frustrating 

Fair enough. I wouldn't watch anything they show even if they were the last provider on earth. If they get more sport, which I really hope they don't, I wonder how long it will be before the Prime fee goes up?

• Haha 1

Didnt watch on there as amazon video seems to have various issues right now.

In Chrome i got error 7301, so had to watch using my usual source.

Googled it and 7301 seems common with no one knowing what specifically causes it except maybe internally in Amazon/Widevine, but I expect its DRM related.

After the game finished I tested other browsers, and I can use amazon video in Vivaldi but in SD only (amazon got a browser whitelist for HD).

first watch tonight and can’t say it’s any better or worse or even different to any other way i’ve ever watched a football match on a laptop or a tele. such an outrageous amount of fuss about nothing. 

Watching the arsenal game on LG tv. Picture  Quality is better than sky and sound is a lot crisper plus you can hear the crowd properly instead of it being turned down, mind, I reckon sky downgrade the picture quality over a period of time before coming out with the next version of ultra hd or something, just so you go over to that thinking it’s better quality when really it’s what you had before. If this is the future, I’m all for it and would cancel sky sports. The highlights and re runs are far better as well.

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Watching the arsenal game on LG tv. Picture  Quality is better than sky and sound is a lot crisper plus you can hear the crowd properly instead of it being turned down, mind, I reckon sky downgrade the picture quality over a period of time before coming out with the next version of ultra hd or something, just so you go over to that thinking it’s better quality when really it’s what you had before. If this is the future, I’m all for it and would cancel sky sports. The highlights and re runs are far better as well.

Well unless you have a Q box, then Sky is only in 720p, whereas Amazon is in 1080p so it’s not surprising.