Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, brucey said:

The experts advising the UK government have now changed their mind and admitted they were wrong, it seems

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths?__twitter_impression=true

Only taken them weeks longer than the average layman. 

You only had to look at the WHO statistics which clearly inferred the disease severity, and then the experiences of China and Italy to know our NHS would buckle in 5 minutes given the fundamental lack of capacity. Then you have the deputy Chief Medical Officer stating confidently that 99% will recover and our health secretary desperately tweeting for people to produce ventilators. 

Absolute negligence all round.

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

Been confirmed I’m WFH tomorrow for the foreseeable. 

Im due to exchange contracts on a new build tomorrow (10% deposit up front, rest on completion - September in normal circumstances). Every inch of my being is telling me to pull the plug and just forget about the reservation fees and don’t exchange. I wouldn’t worry as much but they haven’t even laid a brick yet and I cannot see the house being built given the current circumstances. I’m completely and utterly lost. 

I think in this case if you can take the hit on what you have spent already, I'd deffo be pulling out. Not only because we don't know what's on the other side of this whenever that is.

But as you say it could be well past sept if they haven't even laid a brick yet.

I'm worried how we pay our mortgage and keep a roof over 2 kids heads if I end up not working and my wife ends up on ssp.

Wouldn't be wanting to take on something new right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I think in this case if you can take the hit on what you have spent already, I'd deffo be pulling out. Not only because we don't know what's on the other side of this whenever that is.

But as you say it could be well past sept if they haven't even laid a brick yet.

I'm worried how we pay our mortgage and keep a roof over 2 kids heads if I end up not working and my wife ends up on ssp.

Wouldn't be wanting to take on something new right now.

It’s a complete head **** to be honest mate. I’ll have a chat with my solicitor in the morning and ask her what she would do in my situation. She’s still getting paid regardless so I’m hoping she’ll be honest and up front. 

All the best to you and your family over the next however ****ing long this might last! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't think Johnson will last his term. That's not a criticism of his politics, and I don't envy him now. I don't believe he wants to be there, nor has the leadership.  

Much though I dislike the privileged bumbling fabulously wealthy horndog, you have to wish him luck.

He certainly got the Churchill moment he always wanted, anyway.

• Like 2

Just now, foxfanazer said:

My girlfriend is pregnant and also works on the maternity ward at our local hospital where there are confirmed cases. She has no idea what to do. Scary times

I remember you mentioning you moved to Downham. Is it the Queen Elizabeth in KL? 

22 minutes ago, martyn said:

Only taken them weeks longer than the average layman. 

You only had to look at the WHO statistics which clearly inferred the disease severity, and then the experiences of China and Italy to know our NHS would buckle in 5 minutes given the fundamental lack of capacity. Then you have the deputy Chief Medical Officer stating confidently that 99% will recover and our health secretary desperately tweeting for people to produce ventilators. 

Absolute negligence all round.

Agreed. Let's hope we've acted soon enough to avoid the situation facing the Italians. 

I hope people take the recommendations seriously (although walking the dog it seemed like my local had the normal crowd inside). France had these sort of 'voluntary' recommendations and have now had to forcibly implement the rules because people still gathered in bars, restaurants, for a picnic along the river seine. 

Guest MattP
21 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't think Johnson will last his term. That's not a criticism of his politics, and I don't envy him now. I don't believe he wants to be there, nor has the leadership.  

First time I thought that today looking at him, I mean who would want this?

But this is what being a leader is, he's fortunate in a way though that he can bring out others to his briefings and any economic damage can be pinned on this.

To think a month or so ago the biggest worry was 0.5 being knocked off GDP lol

Just now, MattP said:

First time I thought that today looking at him, I mean who would want this?

But this is what being a leader is, he's fortunate in a way though that he can bring out others to his briefings and any economic damage can be pinned on this.

To think a month or so ago the biggest worry was 0.5 being knocked off GDP lol

What price a government of national unity now. Seems a bit frivolous for rival parties to be attacking each other. 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

It is yeah. Not sure what the NHS stance will be on matters like these 

I heard about the cases in QEH. My parents live opposite, and next to a group of doctors.

Best wishes to you and your partner.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Manini said:

Been confirmed I’m WFH tomorrow for the foreseeable. 

Im due to exchange contracts on a new build tomorrow (10% deposit up front, rest on completion - September in normal circumstances). Every inch of my being is telling me to pull the plug and just forget about the reservation fees and don’t exchange. I wouldn’t worry as much but they haven’t even laid a brick yet and I cannot see the house being built given the current circumstances. I’m completely and utterly lost. 

I’d pull out. You’ve got one shot at it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theessexfox said:

Is there literally any reason to have any hope at the moment? Seems like the world is absolutely ****ed for a long time 

Hope that any loved ones you have who are vulnerable to this virus, survive. Aside from that, I'm not sure.

Did anyone feel Boris and co gave you the information you need? I was shocked that he gave the pubs, restaurants etc the opportunity to stay open but recommend we stay away. That’s a decision based on finance not the well being of a nation.
I am concerned they don’t have a clue, not because I know better but look at what the rest of the world are doing. This is a time for the strong leadership making decisions not based finance.

Why not shut down all social events cinemas pubs etc?  He wants those businesses go bust it benefits the government / insurance companies not having to bail them out. 

I personally have very little faith in our thrown together leadership group and feel all they do is pull the wool over our eyes time will tell hope I am wrong. 

Sorry for rant people! Stay safe and look after each other.

7 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yep.

Humans are remarkably adaptable.

I like these tweets as realistic yet optimistic:

It *is* currently crap, but this, too shall pass...

:)

It was after the Black Death nearly wiped Europe off the map altogether that the Renaissance kicked in.

Humans have a remarkable way of bouncing back bigger and better than before they were kicked down. I’m hoping vulnerable family members continue in good health and that I come out the other end still in work by the end of it all, but there’s always light at end of the tunnel no matter how bleak it first appears.

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tetly said:

Did anyone feel Boris and co gave you the information you need? I was shocked that he gave the pubs, restaurants etc the opportunity to stay open but recommend we stay away. That’s a decision based on finance not the well being of a nation.
I am concerned they don’t have a clue, not because I know better but look at what the rest of the world are doing. This is a time for the strong leadership making decisions not based finance.

Why not shut down all social events cinemas pubs etc?  He wants those businesses go bust it benefits the government / insurance companies not having to bail them out. 

I personally have very little faith in our thrown together leadership group and feel all they do is pull the wool over our eyes time will tell hope I am wrong. 

Sorry for rant people! Stay safe and look after each other.

Honestly don't know. Who could guess what's going through leaderships head's atm. But if I was in charge and genuinely worried about how society would deal with a long term isolation plan, even a few days of gauging the publics reaction to heavily suggested "STAY INSIDE" could go a long way.

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yep.

Humans are remarkably adaptable.

I like these tweets as realistic yet optimistic:

It *is* currently crap, but this, too shall pass...

:)

So 2022 will be great but in 2040 we'll be slaughtering each other?

10 minutes ago, tetly said:

Did anyone feel Boris and co gave you the information you need? I was shocked that he gave the pubs, restaurants etc the opportunity to stay open but recommend we stay away.

They're not gonna be able to leave it to choice very long. I was in the pub tonight and nobody there has any intention of adhering to it (I will do after tonight) cos most of them still don't get the gravity of the situation. 

Idk how to get people to wake up to the severity. I wasn't particularly keen on Macron for a while but he's only person in the west even attempting to be a world leader and his response to this has been as good as can be tbh and his address tonight was proper leadership. Probably would rather live in France atm

Edited by Kopfkino

We went quickly from this:

14 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

the Renaissance kicked in

To this:

13 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Gonna be properly willy pullered for weeks, belting out Mr Brightside in a state of borderline delirium night after night and shagging anything that moves. 

lol

I love this website.  :scarf: