Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

40 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How does that work ? 

I have a rental property - I’m happy to tell my tenant to have a payment holiday but will I be able to get a mortgage holiday without it affecting my credit status? 

gas, electric ...... who will cover the money here ? These are private companies ..........

as a business, if we have to close down for a few weeks, the govt will still want business rates paid and my landlord his rent .....if I don’t pay that then how will his property company remain afloat - I’m sure they have their lenders to pay ......... 

my biggest cost is staff ...there is a limit to what I can afford to pay without any income ..... but my staff have bills or pay ...... it’s going to be  tragic all round .......

& @Cardiff_Fox @Kopfkino

Apparently this stoppage on rent, taxes, bills etc is just for companies and not just individuals.

1 hour ago, spacemunky said:

That's going to kill the Milton tourism industry.

Bro, its a ghost town here. Having said that wife went to Longos, no bread, no meat but they did have TP. No canned goods really but veges and fruits galore..im like sonwe can eat like normal still then (minus the meat).

34 minutes ago, brucey said:

The experts advising the UK government have now changed their mind and admitted they were wrong, it seems

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths?__twitter_impression=true

Full article:

The UK only realised "in the last few days" that attempts to "mitigate" the impact of the coronavirus pandemic would not work, and that it needed to shift to a strategy to "suppress" the outbreak, according to a report by a team of experts who have been advising the government.

The report, published by the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team on Monday night, found that the strategy previously being pursued by the government — dubbed "mitigation" and involving home isolation of suspect cases and their family members but not including restrictions on wider society — would "likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems (most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over".

The mitigation strategy "focuses on slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread — reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of severe disease from infection", the report said, reflecting the UK strategy that was outlined last week by Boris Johnson and the chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance.

But the approach was found to be unworkable. "Our most significant conclusion is that mitigation is unlikely to be feasible without emergency surge capacity limits of the UK and US healthcare systems being exceeded many times over," perhaps by as much as eight times, the report said.

In this scenario, the Imperial College team predicted as many as 250,000 deaths in Britain.

"In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days," the report explained, due to new data on likely intensive care unit demand based on the experience of Italy and Britain so far.

"We were expecting herd immunity to build. We now realise it’s not possible to cope with that," professor Azra Ghani, chair of infectious diseases epidemiology at Imperial, told journalists at a briefing on Monday night.

As a result, the report — which its authors said had "informed policymaking in the UK and other countries in the last weeks" — said: "We therefore conclude that epidemic suppression is the only viable strategy at the current time."

A suppression strategy, along the lines of the approach adopted by the Chinese authorities, "aims to reverse epidemic growth, reducing case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely".

It requires "a combination of social distancing of the entire population, home isolation of cases and household quarantine of their family members", and "may need to be supplemented by school and university closures".

An "intensive intervention package" will have to be "maintained until a vaccine becomes available (potentially 18 months or more)", the report said, painting an extraordinary picture of what life could be like in the UK for the next year and a half.

On Monday afternoon, the prime minister drastically tightened the measures imposed on the British public — signalling the UK's move to a suppression strategy.

Everyone in the UK should now stop "non-essential contact" with other people and avoid pubs, clubs, cinemas, and theatres to slow the spread of the coronavirus, Johnson announced.

Families have also been urged to stay at home together for 14 days if any member is showing symptoms of the virus — a new, continuous cough or a fever.

Johnson said that anyone in isolation should avoid leaving the house "even to buy food or essentials" and should exercise outside the house only at a safe distance from others.

A government spokesperson said: “This is a very fast-moving situation. In order to give the most robust scientific advice SAGE [the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies] draws upon and considers a range of evidence and views to reach its recommendations. Part of this evidence includes the latest modelling data from a number of experts. All SAGE recommendations are in line with the best current evidence. We will be publishing further evidence shortly.”

14 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Bro, its a ghost town here. Having said that wife went to Longos, no bread, no meat but they did have TP. No canned goods really but veges and fruits galore..im like sonwe can eat like normal still then (minus the meat).

As long as the LCBO and Beer Stores stay open, I can get through this!

If you are feeling a bit Left out and wonder what all the fuss is about then forced to self isolate..!!

No problems of fighting at Empty shelfs....

We can deliver,your very own required version of this modern reality hitting our country...

Free Paper Rolls with every house delivery....

lWR2YSowIMG_0506.jpeg

Edited by fuchsntf

Guest MattP

Frightening to be honest what is coming later this year if predictions are correct.

Edited by MattP

Posted at 22:1422:14

Dire prediction sees shift in UK strategy

675d8aee-4b79-418d-b764-60cce17125de.jpg

James Gallagher

Health and science correspondent, BBC News

The UK's plan has shifted because the scientific modelling showed we were on course for a "catastrophic epidemic".

A strategy of just slowing the spread of the virus, but not trying to stop it, would have overwhelmed intensive care units.

The modelling by Imperial College London has been heavily informed by the experience in Italy and is influencing decisions at the heart of government.

Their calculations predicted 260,000 deaths in the UK.

Instead the plan is to drive down the number of cases to very low levels, which the models predict will limit deaths from coronavirus to the thousands or tens of thousands.

However, this approach comes with a major problem - there is no exit strategy.

Without the immunity that would build up if people were infected, then cases would soar as soon as measures are lifted.

The report said these could need to be in place until a vaccine is available, which could take up to 18 months.

We are in this for the long haul.

Any single person thinking society as a whole would last 18 months with this shite should drive/uber/bike etc etc themselves to the nearest nuthouse.

Mrs is due in 3 weeks. ****ing typical. No one knows what that **** is going on. She’s panicking and i can’t do anything to comfort her. Thank you world. Go well

1 minute ago, Pst said:

Mrs is due in 3 weeks. ****ing typical. No one knows what that **** is going on. She’s panicking and i can’t do anything to comfort her. Thank you world. Go well

Have you been in touch with your general practitioner or your local hospital? A quick ring should do.

Edited by MC Prussian

5 minutes ago, Pst said:

Talk to your midwife, discuss the possibility of choosing a home birth if you’re able to. 

People on Twitter are saying that the government should have forcibly closed public spaces like restaurants and theatres, rather than merely "recommending" that people avoid going there.

That would mean that Insurers would be footing the bill for business interruption claims, over periods of many months, where there is cover for such closures forced by the authorities.

The suggestion is that the government is somehow sneakily screwing the hospitality and entertainment parts of the service sector in order to line the pockets of their pals in the financial services sector.

However, the major composite Insurers are all already in deep doo-doo, as they face unprecedented health and life cover claims, potentially beyond their reserves of money, because this virus is new territory.

These additional businesses interruption claims would break them if they weren't already broken.

But don't worry, the insurers use the insurance premiums inbetween receiving the money and paying out their claims to make more money, by investing their funds in the stock market.

Oh.

Whatever happens, the financial services sector is (like many other sectors, including the hospitality and entertainment sectors) utterly jiggered, unless the government does something extraordinary and changes the rules of the game.

(full disclosure, I don't work for an Insurer, but Insurers are my company's main clients)

Gulp.

Glad we don't have gun shops to stand queueing outside in the UK...

ETA:  most policies would exclude this sort of thing, but those that would cover it need some sort of blockage by the authorities rather than people not wanting to go.  The point of my post is that the financial services sector *and* the other sectors are in great difficulties.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1

Been confirmed I’m WFH tomorrow for the foreseeable. 

Im due to exchange contracts on a new build tomorrow (10% deposit up front, rest on completion - September in normal circumstances). Every inch of my being is telling me to pull the plug and just forget about the reservation fees and don’t exchange. I wouldn’t worry as much but they haven’t even laid a brick yet and I cannot see the house being built given the current circumstances. I’m completely and utterly lost. 

Guest Harrydc

As a student, I work at the campus bar which has been shut down. I needed that job in order to pay for rent, and other things such as food, bills etc. What is the government doing for instances such as this?

Also, what about other work places? If someone goes home and gets sick, does this mean everyone else who has worked there has to self isolate? What about the pubs, if the government has recommended people not to go to them, and they have to shut down? We don't have good times ahead, and I feel there is going to be a lot of poverty in the near future.