Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

44 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Are whole families going to be at home for 14 days because someone has a common cough? I understand the need to be cautious but surely we need to ensure only people who actually have the virus in their household are isolating. 

Even assuming you can get a test (no given) in most cases it still takes 1-2 days for results. Meanwhile they already know that people are most infectious with this virus when they’re asymptomatic and just beginning to show symptoms.  Are you prepared to roll the dice with a house full of people going around infecting dozens more that it’s really just a “common cough”?

Well I have asthma it can get quite bad sometimes. My concern is me sending the kids to school and then coming home with Coronavirus. Why are we doing thing so different to the rest of the word.

The link if it helps 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Interestingly, yesterday Boris mentioned the 12 week period to restrict social contact but in that link, nothing is mentioned about a 12 week period?! 

1 minute ago, tetly said:

Well I have asthma it can get quite bad sometimes. My concern is me sending the kids to school and then coming home with Coronavirus. Why are we doing thing so different to the rest of the word.

There's a fair chance your kids are carrying it anyway according to the experts, the kids being in school is far safer for the majority of the population in theory.

However it does put the teacher's at risk, so it won't be long before they go on strike or such like as they feel they are being ignored or placed in danger.

I understand your concern. But I still stand by the fact that keeping kids off school makes things worse by placing those more susceptible to it in harm's way. Having your kids home with you places you in harm's way. My mother in law is 60 plus and recovering from 2 knee ops, my parents are in lockdown in italy, my grandparents are all in there 80s.

Just be vigilant. Make sure you wipe surfaces etc, try your best to limit contact with kids, hard I know. But we have started making sure we don't share bowls for snacks etc with our kids just in case. 

7 hours ago, Dario_Rodriguez_ said:

Funny how the keep calm and carry on brigade have gone quiet.

Probably stuck in a long line at Tesco I’m guessing.

???? Are you suggesting that we shouldn't keep calm? Life does indeed need to go on, however challenging that may be. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The link if it helps 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people/guidance-on-social-distancing-for-everyone-in-the-uk-and-protecting-older-people-and-vulnerable-adults

Interestingly, yesterday Boris mentioned the 12 week period to restrict social contact but in that link, nothing is mentioned about a 12 week period?! 

I think that's because the instruction hasn't actually been given.  It was "by the end of the week we'll ask ..."

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

I think that's because the instruction hasn't actually been given.  It was "by the end of the week we'll ask ..."

Pretty sure he stated yesterday it would be 12 weeks at home for those listed? 

These are strict measures but everyone needs to get on board with it.  There are no winners.  The softly softly asking people nicely is step 1.  It's more of a law and order situation rather than being soft.  If people don't comply then the order will come.  Look at France.  Checkpoints in the streets, army lurking in the background.  

These are unprecedented times.  We need to show and encourage solidarity whenever possible.

Gonna be a long hard slog.

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So that guidance states it's for everyone and highlights a particular group.  There is no mention of the 12 weeks the article, you are quite correct.  I suspect that it will be updated later this week when they actually pull the trigger on that part of the plan.  Then I'm sure it will be 12 weeks from x date.

Maybe could be clearer but it's a rapidly evolving situation and clearer instruction will come within 48 hours I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It was after the Black Death nearly wiped Europe off the map altogether that the Renaissance kicked in.

8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I can't ****ing wait for it to all be over. The parties and social reintroduction will be like freshers all over again. Gonna be properly willy pullered for weeks, belting out Mr Brightside in a state of borderline delirium night after night and shagging anything that moves. 

8 hours ago, Vacamion said:

We went quickly from this [Finnaldo]:

To this [Kopfkino]

lol

I love this website.  :scarf:

@Kopfkino needs to change his username to "Renaissance Man" or the very least "Willy-Pullered Renaissance Shagger".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not yet. Will be asked within the next few days. Think my old man who's in his 60's qualifies for this since he has diabetes and gets the flu jab, he's got no intention of following it though. Stubborn git. 

8 hours ago, Toddybad said:

You say this like it's fact, but it isn't.

Firstly, of course we can shut a city down if we want to - look at Europe.

Second, the idea of a second wave isn't guaranteed. If everybody was isolated for long enough they're all coming out virus free. You could then take action against incomers.

The idea of second and third waves really relates to something else though - the Spanish flu came in waves. But Covid 19 is not the flu and the WHO are of the opinion you cannot say it would act like that.

Not saying it is a fact, but based of past data its probable. Covid-19 is a virus and as far as we know, acts the same as other viruses.

3 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Not saying it is a fact, but based of past data its probable. Covid-19 is a virus and as far as we know, acts the same as other viruses.

Isn't it a much stronger strain though? 

1 hour ago, Bayfox said:

There's a fair chance your kids are carrying it anyway according to the experts, the kids being in school is far safer for the majority of the population in theory.

Sorry that makes zero sense. Them being at home is far safer as they can only infect those in immediate contact.

48 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

More now on efforts to create a vaccine for the new coronavirus.

As we reported earlier, a group of healthy US volunteers have been injected with an experimental coronavirus vaccine, as part of a clinical trial.

The vaccine cannot cause Covid-19 but contains a harmless genetic code copied from the virus that causes the disease.

But experts say it will still take months to know if this vaccine will work.

In the spirit of positive vibes, can we get some claps for our American human Guinea pigs. :appl:

Shame they won't share the vaccine really

Here's the modelling the current advice is being based on. https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf. The results can be a bit heavy going, but the first and last few pages give a decent summary of what was looked at, and what the model predicts.

The upshot is we've altered course quite dramatically. The modelling for mitigation (the 'herd immunity idea') showed the capacity of the healthcare system would be exceeded 8 times over. The more strict measures we're seeing (and are going to see in the coming days) are to suppress transmission of the disease so the numbers start to fall. 

I suspect 12 weeks hasn't been mentioned because there's no exit strategy if you suppress the disease. The models show that lifting restrictions (without there being a viable vaccine or treatment) just see the virus reappear quickly. 

The people just REEEEEEEEing at "tHe GoVeRnMeNt" are grating on me already. Firstly, ANY government no matter what the party allegiance would just be following the advice of the top scientists, that's pretty fvcking obvious. Secondly, you know the same people will be the first to be moaning when there's a lockdown, a full travel ban and the purchase of good is limited. 

• Like 4

good of virgin media to start “testing and searching for improvements” in the wifi in our area whilst half the country is trying to work from home. no internet until tomorrow supposedly. day off work get in. 

• Haha 1