Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

8 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

You do realise Wuhan have not stopped the virus, they will have a second wave once they 'quarantined' get release. Also they have shut the city off for months, we just can't do that over here.

You say this like it's fact, but it isn't.

Firstly, of course we can shut a city down if we want to - look at Europe.

Second, the idea of a second wave isn't guaranteed. If everybody was isolated for long enough they're all coming out virus free. You could then take action against incomers.

The idea of second and third waves really relates to something else though - the Spanish flu came in waves. But Covid 19 is not the flu and the WHO are of the opinion you cannot say it would act like that.

All being well, by 2022 it appears that a few of us will have the sound of tiny footsteps in the house. That's my thing to look forward to, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Manini said:

It’s a complete head **** to be honest mate. I’ll have a chat with my solicitor in the morning and ask her what she would do in my situation. She’s still getting paid regardless so I’m hoping she’ll be honest and up front. 

All the best to you and your family over the next however ****ing long this might last! 

You’re in a difficult position. Without seeing the contract, I would expect terms within that allow the builder to delay or even terminate in case of events outside of their control. 

I’ve spent most of today (right until about half hour ago!) advising some clients on this current predicament and to be honest, like most other lawyers, I have no ****ing clue how it will go. One client I spoke to today, I was advising them just ten days ago on a potential multi million pound takeover. Today, our conversation centred around how to keep their staffed paid!! 

Anyway, back to your situation. The contract will have three things in it that you need clarified by your solicitor. 1. The force majeur clause. 2. The funder step in clause. 3. The determination and remedies clause. From the above three options, ask your solicitor what the “trigger” aspect is of all three. So, taking clause 1, it’s a real buzz word clause at the moment but these clauses are very heavily negotiated. Ask, does it include notifiable diseases (which if it does, it will work in the builders favour). Once you understand clearly from your solicitor what is contained in these clauses, you’ll better understand what to do - feel free to DM me if you want more explanation.

Conveyancing contracts are pretty straightforward. They exchange and there is (or should be) a set completion date. If that completion date is missed, the non-defaulting party serves a “notice to complete”. That notice lasts 10 working days, if completion cannot occur due to the defaulting party - you can terminate and the 10% deposit is owed back to you.  The only concern is, if the builder goes through insolvency, the contract still triggers termination (or should do, again, ask your solicitor) but it then becomes a chase to get your 10% before it goes into the blackhole. To safeguard this, ask your solicitor to change the deposit terms from being held as “stakeholder” to being held as “agent” by your solicitor ask her to argue that due to the uncertain landscape, my client feels necessary precautions need to be put in place to protect their position. By switching the deposit to “agent” status it means your solicitor keeps hold of the deposit on behalf of the seller in case of default (notice to complete, as above) - where they can immediately return it back to you. 

Another option, which may be difficult is to ask to include a long stop date for when the build should start - if this date is missed, you can terminate on written notice. The 

Like I said, it’s not an easy position to be in but a bit of smart work around the contract, you’ll protect yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I don't think Johnson will last his term. That's not a criticism of his politics, and I don't envy him now. I don't believe he wants to be there, nor has the leadership.  

On Thursday I thought he did quite good considering but today he did just look desperate to get out, who really would want to deal with this shitstorm?

But his hero is Churchill and he'd do well to read his own biography of him to muster up the leadership needed. I'm not Boris' biggest fan politically but I do find him somehow endearing personally and I think he could do really well in this kind of situation just like his hero. 

Macron tonight was so impressive and Boris could be cos he can strangely connect with people but not sure his hearts in it

Edited by Kopfkino

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Such a shame - kids allowed to go to school but can’t play football against other kids ???

5 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes this is the point I'm trying to make to my daughter's club coach who has cancelled training. I guess he's just following orders, but I really can't see the logic in it, especially when outdoor exercise is supposed to be a good thing atm, and she spends all day at school with many of the girls in her team 

If there is a sports related injury, before the ambulance can be called and let onto the scene, they have to ask about Coronavirus and if anyone has had any contact with people in the high risk countries etc. This massively slows down response time, and in the case of a serious injury could even be deadly. It happened in Sunday league games at the weekend, so I for one am glad they've been halted.

5 hours ago, Harrydc said:

As a student, I work at the campus bar which has been shut down. I needed that job in order to pay for rent, and other things such as food, bills etc. What is the government doing for instances such as this?

Also, what about other work places? If someone goes home and gets sick, does this mean everyone else who has worked there has to self isolate? What about the pubs, if the government has recommended people not to go to them, and they have to shut down? We don't have good times ahead, and I feel there is going to be a lot of poverty in the near future.  

Your uni should have hardship funds you can apply for to help. 

5 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It was after the Black Death nearly wiped Europe off the map altogether that the Renaissance kicked in.

Humans have a remarkable way of bouncing back bigger and better than before they were kicked down. I’m hoping vulnerable family members continue in good health and that I come out the other end still in work by the end of it all, but there’s always light at end of the tunnel no matter how bleak it first appears.

They're already saying that this could lead to a real shift towards home working as the norm in the future as we learn how to utilise that type of technology during the coming months.

Once the dust settles, hospitals will have much more efficient procedures as will many other public services.

My biggest concern is that we've just emerged from a decade of austerity and by all accounts, we might have another one.

• Like 2

Well I've been told to suspend face to face meetings and work from home. As many of my customers are in retail I can't see my job being viable for very much longer.

Our son works in a museum and has just been told to take some paid leave. Can't see that lasting for a long time though. He also suffers from asthma though at the lower end of the scale and we're not clear if he should be among those taking the drastic action recommended.

My mother is 90 next month, lives at home on her own with no internet and all her "support" friends and neighbours are 70+ or have underlying serious health issues or relatives with them. She's currently running out of food so I will have to make the 180 round mile trip this week to take her some. I've managed to book an online shop for her but not until 1st April. Hopefully this would be considered essential travel.

This seems like just the start of restrictions to me. I fear we will be in total shutdown within two weeks.

Take care out there everyone!

As appalling as the potential loss of life is, the economic effects are likely to be a greater threat to people’s wellbeing in the long run.

This is surely the biggest crisis the world has faced since WWII, and nothing that has happened since then has prepared my generation (boomer) or subsequent generations (apart from those who have seen active service in the armed forces) for what is likely to ensue over the next couple of years.

I just hope that our generations can rise to the challenge.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Well of course.

It's not an apocalyptic movie. Many will die and the economy will seriously suffer, but it's not end times. The many that die will be mostly older, frailer people, as callous as that sounds. Those old people are often more concerned with their kids and grand-kids futures than their own health.

Also we need to keep shit together to support each other. I have a group of very scared undergrads from overseas that I will start teaching online tomorrow morning. They are relying on those classes to complete their studies and also give their days some kind of structure.

We'll get through it, life won't have changed as much as some of the lunatics online are saying. And we'll organise a foxestalk booze up to celebrate the end of this total **** of a virus. 

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

It was after the Black Death nearly wiped Europe off the map altogether that the Renaissance kicked in.

Humans have a remarkable way of bouncing back bigger and better than before they were kicked down. I’m hoping vulnerable family members continue in good health and that I come out the other end still in work by the end of it all, but there’s always light at end of the tunnel no matter how bleak it first appears.

This 'n' this.

Humanity is a reasonably resilient and adaptable species and while the cost is going to be seriously, seriously high - both materially and in terms of lives - across the world from all of this, mankind and society will recover.

Keep yourselves and those dear to you safe, try to support others when you have the chance, and look forward to the relieved, ecstatic party that will happen when we make it through to the other side of this crisis.

Well seeing as I work for a supplier to pubs, clubs and restaurants I have no effing clue what’s going to happen, I don’t get sick pay other than statutory and there’s a good chance I could get sent home with no pay for x amount of weeks. Oh well at least I’ll have time to queue up for toilet rolls and pasta. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Yep.

Humans are remarkably adaptable.

I like these tweets as realistic yet optimistic:

It *is* currently crap, but this, too shall pass...

:)

Maybe we can get back to producing our own and being a little more self sufficient in the aftermath then, benefit our own economy and know, no bats or dogs have entered the food chain lol

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If there is a sports related injury, before the ambulance can be called and let onto the scene, they have to ask about Coronavirus and if anyone has had any contact with people in the high risk countries etc. This massively slows down response time, and in the case of a serious injury could even be deadly. It happened in Sunday league games at the weekend, so I for one am glad they've been halted.

I was referencing their  training rather than matches as those were cancelled last Friday ......... but your point about injury is still relevant though one would expect that outdoors, only the child and paramedics need come into close contact and the paramedics should have some protective clothing ??

1 minute ago, Bayfox said:

Maybe we can get back to producing our own and being a little more self sufficient in the aftermath then, benefit our own economy and know, no bats or dogs have entered the food chain lol

alas it wasn’t the food exported that was responsible 

China is now suffering with cancellation of orders by the ROW, just as their industry recovers towards pre outbreak levels (away from Hubei) 

2 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I'd like to see two things along these lines as an outcome of this tbh:

- tech advances that allow for easier and better production of a variety of different items "in-house"; not so they can be sold or to uniquely benefit the UK economy, but so that we can finally ease up on international shipping and how it damages the environment.

- utilising the advances that we have so far so that working from home and digital workplaces become far more widespread.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

They're already saying that this could lead to a real shift towards home working as the norm in the future as we learn how to utilise that type of technology during the coming months.

Once the dust settles, hospitals will have much more efficient procedures as will many other public services.

My biggest concern is that we've just emerged from a decade of austerity and by all accounts, we might have another one.

Your last point rings home with me, I've been a staunch defender of the austerity plans, in the hope it cut debt and helped my kids not be the generation that carried the burden, but there's no way if we have a shutdown or this crisis as they predict could last for a year that we rack it all back up again.

I don't see with out government intervention the man on the street can see this out. 

Negative equity on homes is surely not far away, probably just due to the number of repossessions, unless banks and government take some form of sensible approach.

Watching Suzzane Ried now, it's unlikely her being sat at home is gonna cost her her job or home. That's not the case for many tho.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

alas it wasn’t the food exported that was responsible 

China is now suffering with cancellation of orders by the ROW, just as their industry recovers towards pre outbreak levels (away from Hubei) 

Yeah I know. That comment was in jest.

But this could certainly bring a change in attitude to many, who could start producing our own crops etc.

Anyone got a link to the list of conditions then that could isolate you for 12 weeks?? 

This is the latest article I can see with any mention of it (today's date) 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-guidance-for-households-with-possible-covid-19-infection

Just mentions generally not specifically who should limit social contact the most... 

'For those who are over 70, have an underlying health condition or are pregnant, they are strongly advised against these activities and to significantly limit face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible.'