Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

He's talking shit and knows we'll be on lock down in a few days so why not just bring it forward?

He did exactly the same regarding Mass Gatherings and Schools, he let things sit for a bit when he could have brought them forward, then he only reacts when others do or when the public get highly vocal.

Weak leadership and his lack of strictness could prove fatal.

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

He did exactly the same regarding Mass Gatherings and Schools, he let things sit for a bit when he could have brought them forward, then he only reacts when others do or when the public get highly vocal.

Weak leadership and his lack of strictness could prove fatal.

And with closures / banning he leaves the doors wide open. 

Schools are closed except for a very large list of exceptions. Please don't go pubs but they can stay open. 

In a crisis be ****ing authoritative. 

Off work with 80% wages, of course everyone’s treating it like a paid holiday.

They just need to announce that those 80% wages don’t start getting paid until people start properly social distancing, bet that will get people in line quickly.

• Like 2

Quite a bit of what I said in January was based on the situation at the time, when the lid still seemed to be on. But since then, it has grown exponentially, and my hopes and expectations that governments across the globe, plus the great advances in medicines, would between them manage the crisis in the same manner that SARS and MERS were.

I was wrong, and had I thought about it, I'd have edited the message accordingly. Tbh, if we all start dragging up old posts on predictions of any sort, some of us are bound to end up looking stupid. In a fast-moving crisis like this, we can only say stuff based on current knowledge. As the crisis deepened, my optimism quickly turned to deep pessimism, more quickly than that shown by many.

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Not sure how to solve this one. I've been out twice in the last week and both times to get groceries(and beer).

I live in a city of 200,000, so there's going to be people there and therefore there's that risk with contact.

I could order in food, but that's expensive and is it any safer? I did see that one of the big food delivery services here is offering non contact delivery by leaving your food at the door.

Nothing is technically safe is it? The package of eggs you pickup could have just been touched by someone who coughed into their hands and touched the egg carton. If you then touch your face well covid could be yours.  Its been reported it can last on differing surfaces for many hours (4 to 72 or so depending on the material). 

Edited by Jattdogg

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Lovely to see all these ads in the papers about how companies are going to help us ...   especially the supermarkets ! ...   I know it’s cynical but I can’t get this image out of my mind that round the boardrooms of all those supermarkets are a bunch of big fat grinning fookers all licking their lips and puffing away on their big cigars ...  

Most of the supermarkets sell more than just groceries .... whilst they’re ‘having it off’ now, this will drop off once we introduce stiffer measures and their sales of non groceries will be decimated in any case ......

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

Mountain summits and beaches in Wales have seen large numbers of visitors, with Snowdonia National Park saying the area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday

The National Trust has closed its parks and gardens amid fears crowds might flock to them on Sunday for Mother's Day.

I said a couple of weeks ago "Head for the hills" seems everyone else has the same idea.

Seriously though it's all the 'second home' owners fleeing London and Cheshire all the Chelsea tractors blocking the roads around Snowdonia.

7 hours ago, ithuriel said:

Pennywise discount store off Gypsy Lane are charging, according to Facebook, £20 for loo rolls, a place worth boycotting possibly.like some others who are going to be profiteering.

I've been watching some selling on ebay.  The last one I watched for a six pack of loo roll sold for £66,000 - seriously.

I can only imagine that they started off with a high price and people bid them up to a ridiculous level and won't pay as a protest against profiteering.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

I've been watching some selling on ebay.  The last one I watched for a six pack of loo roll sold for £66,000 - seriously.

I can only imagine that they started off with a high price and people bid them up to a ridiculous level and won't pay as a protest against profiteering.

Or it was won by a PL footballer who's staying at home and can't get a Tesco's delivery slot.

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jattdogg said:

Nothing is technically safe is it? The package of eggs you pickup could have just been touched by someone who coughed into their hands and touched the egg carton. If you then touch your face well covid could be yours.  Ita been reported it can last on differing surfaces for many hours (4 to 72 or so depending on the material). 

Scary.

I keep debating on when I am out on how much to buy as I'm trying not to spend more time in the store than I have to. But... we have no idea how long this will go on for and how bad it may get.

I live on my own, so I don't need much. 

Both my sisters are much older than me and have health issues, so I help when I can and certainly don't want them getting sick(er).

Fun times.

The same thing that's happening here also happend in Italy. This is a video of exasperated Mayors after they'd started the lockdown.

'I will send the police over with flamethrowers!'

Edited by Guesty

mrs works for the NHS and is off  tommorow,so obviouly neither of our kid's are going to school.Just heard that one of her mates who work for East Midland Trains are sending their child to school on weds and thurs when both of the parents are off!Pretty sure we will be on lock down before the end of the week to stop stupid adults doing this.:angry:        

Edited by PAULCFC
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Nothing is technically safe is it? The package of eggs you pickup could have just been touched by someone who coughed into their hands and touched the egg carton. If you then touch your face well covid could be yours.  Its been reported it can last on differing surfaces for many hours (4 to 72 or so depending on the material). 

Exactly.

There was a piece on the news the other day about someone that has been sending little bags of essentials to neighbours. Nice gesture, but if I was Doris at no. 67 I’d be leaving the bag on the doorstep.

4 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

mrs works for the NHS and is off  tommorow,so obviouly neither of our kid's are going to school.Just heard that one of her mates who work for East Midland Trains are sending their child on weds and thurs when both of the parents are off!Pretty sure we will be on lock down before the end of the week to stop stupid adults doing this.:angry:        

The list of key workers basically covers every occupation so parents are well within their rights. There's been no authoritative decision made, just one designed to make a few headlines. 

7 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

mrs works for the NHS and is off  tommorow,so obviouly neither of our kid's are going to school.Just heard that one of her mates who work for BR are sending their child on weds and thurs when both of the parents are off!Pretty sure we will be on lock down before the end of the week to stop stupid adults doing this.:angry:        

What's BR? British Rail?

Just now, foxile5 said:

The list of key workers basically covers every occupation so parents are well within their rights. There's been no authoritative decision made, just one designed to make a few headlines. 

If you have prevision to look after your child at home....key worker or not then you should.

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

When both parents are at home anyway?:dunno:

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What's BR? British Rail?

2 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

yeah....im a bit old!

He's still getting there :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

If you have prevision to look after your child at home....key worker or not then you should.

Agreed. 100%.

However the government have, purposely, left a huge door open for reasons I don't fully understand. 

Check the key worker list. Applies to basically all professions. So people v will abuse that. 

I pointed this out at the time and was accused of point scoring, but this ineffective and indecisive leadership is going to cost us dear. 

1 minute ago, PAULCFC said:

When both parents are at home anyway?:dunno:

Mate. I do NOT agree with it. 

I think the fact that Boris and crew have allowed this to happen, and yet enjoy 'schools closed' headlines, is criminal. They should have had some substance and either left open entirely or closed. 

By doing this the way they have they've left this open to abuse, as per your case. 

• Like 1