Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

Yet that's all anecdotal,  Seeing more cars on the road could be for a number of reasons. I work in food production and shifts have changed so people are going work at different times. 

You cant take randoms on a football forum as proof to how well the lockdown is observed . The above tweet was retweeted by the Chief Constable of Leicestershire. 

Sure it's anecdotal but I'm comparing what I was seeing in the first few weeks of the lock down and what I'm seeing now the difference is unmistakable. 

I  went for a walk between Enderby & Narborough yesterday passing the M1 several times and expecting it to be quiet but the traffic was none stop, sure there were a few trucks but also plenty of cars certainly nothing like that picture. It looked like a typical mid-afternoon.

And your example is also anecdotal.

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah I didn't see the glass being handed over. Would just be easier to make your own drink surely?! You'd also think someone wouldn't sneeze at you and would turn away lol 

Surely keeping the distance is fine though? 

A sheet of perspex between the two would help.

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Quite the opposite where I live. Very rural so quiet anyway but where 10 days ago I saw no cars at all, yesterday, on the same walk over a dozen and most with more than one person in them.

My wife also said the roads were a lot busier when she went to work on Friday than they had been the previous week.

The reason why people are venturing out on the roads, imo; is that the rules of the lockdown were so open to misinterpretation in the first place. The government said stay at home if you can work from home and if you have to go to work only  travel to and from work. So people who’ve been going to work are thinking, hang on I have to go to work in my car and be in contact with other people but I I can’t go for a drive at the weekend on my own, that doesn’t make sense and now people are realising that there’s no one enforcing it anyway. It’s solely down to mixed messages from the government, presumably down to economics. 

Edited by yorkie1999

54 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah I didn't see the glass being handed over. Would just be easier to make your own drink surely?! You'd also think someone wouldn't sneeze at you and would turn away lol 

Surely keeping the distance is fine though? 

in which case they don’t need to make the fence table !   people see this kind of thing on social media and think its Ok 

by doing this, one household extends their contact from their work colleagues etc to those of the next door neighbours - 

my brother in the states showed him and his wife sitting in a friends garden .....it’s acceptable over there apparently ..... it isn’t here 

Just now, st albans fox said:

by doing this, one household extends their contact from their work colleagues etc to those of the next door neighbours - 

Only if they come in to contact with each other? 

Just now, StanSP said:

Only if they come in to contact with each other? 

there are various ways that this can happen ..... most that you wouldn’t even consider possible if you were making a list. but if you aren’t able to have contact (either through the air or via items) then those simply cannot occur. 

remove the risk 

if you want to speak to your neighbours across the fence then it’s fine 

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Building an app for recording and reporting data would be easy, the deployment and defining who would use it and making sure this was adhered to would be the issue I imagine.

There's already a process in place for reporting deaths. Does this replace that or do people have to enter the same data into two different systems. As soon as you do that you're increasing the chance of human error and creating data that isn't accurate and thus serves no purpose other than to waste time. Then there's also the very likely possibility that the requirements of the app would change. The more an app/website deviates from the original purpose the more complex and difficult it comes to make changes.

A decent idea in prinicpal, but the realities make it a very challenging piece of work, that I'm not sure would be fit for purpose in time for it to be worth developing.

Yes you’re probably right, probably not the time to be developing new tech on the fly.

43 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The reason why people are venturing out on the roads, imo; is that the rules of the lockdown were so open to misinterpretation in the first place. The government said stay at home if you can work from home and if you have to go to work only  travel to and from work. So people who’ve been going to work are thinking, hang on I have to go to work in my car and be in contact with other people but I I can’t go for a drive at the weekend on my own, that doesn’t make sense and now people are realising that there’s no one enforcing it anyway. It’s solely down to mixed messages from the government, presumably down to economics. 

A lot was put down to individual management for sure.Reading this thread though,is it fair to say that 99% are taking this very seriously indeed?I think so.Reguarding the driving.If you go for a non essential spin in the motor.You are taking a unnecessary risk that you may crash or breakdown.Putting others at inconvenience or harms way.Taking up crucial NHS resources in the process.Common sense stuff really.

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Some interesting and clear insight here beyond the clickbaity headline:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/virologist-christian-drosten-germany-coronavirus-expert-interview

Thanks for sharing. I posted a link on the last page to a study he did, and he alluded speculatively at the end of the fourth question in the guardian article that previous coronavirus infection may protect against this one, which would be a fantastic outcome. 

Drosten is the man if you want accurate, realistic covid information. His lab created the universal diagnostic test in the early days, and his lab is behind a lot of the current research into a vaccine. He’s also the main adviser to Merkel on this, as well as holding a thrice weekly podcast (in German) on any updates. He’s turned into a bit of a celeb over there. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Which isn’t allowed unless delivering medication or food to those who can’t get out 

I suspect that boris will give tomorrow’s conference and maybe some of the morons who have decided that they don’t need to do it will take instruction from him and better observe the restrictions 

Not allowed, but come on let's be honest it's still in the spirit of things. 

For the record I haven't done it but I don't see who I'd be endangering if I decided to drive to a national park if I was to keep my distance.

16 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

For the record I haven't done it but I don't see who I'd be endangering if I decided to drive to a national park if I was to keep my distance.

If you were the only one then probably, yes (unless you had an accident on your journey which isn’t great at the moment) but why should you be able to go to the national park and not others ....... and then you have the situation from a month ago where the national parks were over run ......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, los dedos said:

Its was the fact the Chief Constable retweeted it .Surely he would have a good idea about how well we are sticking to lockdown. 

I've just come back from another walk and although I couldn't see the m1 the noise was loud and continuous so I'll believe what I'm seeing/hearing.

Just to add there were at least 12 people out playing golf on Enderby Golf course even though it was clearly closed.

So I'll stick to my original comment that the is being treated in a haphazard way.

18 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I have a friend in W. Covina LA. who is spending much of his time driving out to the Mojave desert and San Gabriel Mountains with his wife and two sons hitched to a trailer of motocrossers. Complete isolation. 

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I have a friend in W. Covina LA. who is spending much of his time driving out to the Mojave desert and San Gabriel Mountains with his wife and two sons hitched to a trailer of motocrossers. Complete isolation. 

The lockdown in the states is quite different to ours and also varies from state to state.  it’s normal for people to visit friends on the basis that they are outside in the garden and stay more than 6 feet apart.  Either they’re more stupid than us or more trusted ??.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

The lockdown in the states is quite different to ours and also varies from state to state.  it’s normal for people to visit friends on the basis that they are outside in the garden and stay more than 6 feet apart.  Either they’re more stupid than us or more trusted ??.

It is different in California - and fortunately, most Angelinos rarely visit the deserts. He's been sending me footage - complete isolation. One of my favourite parts of the planet. 

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If you were the only one then probably, yes (unless you had an accident on your journey which isn’t great at the moment) but why should you be able to go to the national park and not others ....... and then you have the situation from a month ago where the national parks were over run ......

And there we have it.

Look, it's a sh*t situation and for the elderly and vulnerable it's even worse and will go on for longer. But that doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to get on with their lives*

* In a capacity that doesn't put the elderly at risk.

36 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Surely 'the spirit of things' is to keep away from others outside of our households unnecessarily? 

If you drive to a national park and God forbid have any kind of emergency, you are putting the NHS under unnecessary strain. 

Just stay at home? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

And there we have it.

Look, it's a sh*t situation and for the elderly and vulnerable it's even worse and will go on for longer. But that doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to get on with their lives*

* In a capacity that doesn't put the elderly at risk.

Sorry. No. You are missing the “In it together” thing