Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

Yes, too many seem to be seeing the guidance and law as the same. So it was the guidance (not sure if it was ever published officially?) was you could exercise outside once for an hour; the law just referred to it being a reasonable excuse to exercise outside the home (either alone or with others in the same household). No reference in the regulations to time outside or number of times you could exercise. 

I'm sceptical if there's any law at all, other than creating a disturbance or public nuisance. 

I'd be pretty sure any 'offence' could be easily challenged in court, high court, Lords or the last months of the ECJ. 

Me personally, I haven't really looked in any great detail of the guidance. I just keep a low profile, work from home as it seems both the right thing to do and a.lack of anything else to do

Edited by Paninistickers

The U.S. quietly slipped over 80,000 deaths sometime in the last 36 hours, at the same time as many states are loosening restrictions.

I've been a downer about this for a long time, even as friends and acquaintances accused me of 'fear-mongering' and 'negativity' - but this will easily turn over 200,000 more American lives before this time next year, in my opinion.

Edited by UPinCarolina
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The issue we have here is that there are literally tens of millions of the cheap disposable masks available in the wholesale market - you can get off eBay and amazon for around 70p and small shops charge anything between 60p and a quid.  The type II or III are more expensive and they are needed by health professionals.  By specifying that the public should not buy any surgical type masks, the govt has potentially made things more difficult and increased transmission (especially in the short term).  They should have just stated that masks under £1 each are ok to buy as they won’t be medical quality. 

there really is no shortage in production out of China on the cheaper type I masks.  gowns and nitrile gloves are an issue but not these cheap masks. 

Just a thought for anywhere in the world...And on this I have no idea..!!

These disposable-masks.... as a society we are pretty dis-organised on disposing of our waste,if the Maske are thrown nilly-willy into street Waste bins,or

Mixed with our normal Waste in our House rubbish,then gets throne on the various council rubbish tips....Could there be then  Any underlying danger...!!!

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

My mates wife runs co-op Leicestershire funeral parlours, Loughborough alone is doing 90 a week just from Covid 19, and most the county the same. Down from 1 hour slots at the crematorium to 15 mins.

That's the reality of it. It's a miracle if you don't know anyone that's died from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

don’t you have pharmacies and corner shops over there? All the ones around here have disposable 3 ply which absolutely do offer better protection 

That’s a much better option than just a few layers of cotton 

droplets really can be very microscopic........ I don’t believe that a couple layers of cotton will help if your in the wrong place at the wrong time 

but they are generally going to protect others rather than you.  But if everyone wears one ............

And personally for me, that's the message the government should be pushing.

Anything other than exercise as that could be dangerous, people should be wearing them, for shopping, work, anything.

20 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

The U.S. quietly slipped over 80,000 deaths sometime in the last 36 hours, at the same time as many states are loosening restrictions.

I've been a downer about this for a long time, even as friends and acquaintances accused me of 'fear-mongering' and 'negativity' - but this will easily turn over 200,000 more American lives before this time next year, in my opinion.

And for the most part the US cases and deaths are in a single region of the country.

13 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Just a thought for anywhere in the world...And on this I have no idea..!!

These disposable-masks.... as a society we are pretty dis-organised on disposing of our waste,if the Maske are thrown nilly-willy into street Waste bins,or

Mixed with our normal Waste in our House rubbish,then gets throne on the various council rubbish tips....Could there be then  Any underlying danger...!!!

the virus doesn’t survive for too long on fabrics .... by the time it’s collected by the bin man it’s not a problem 

10 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Anything other than exercise as that could be dangerous, people should be wearing them, for shopping, work, anything.

most countries in the world who are ‘controlling’ this thing are widely wearing masks with public being pretty well fully on board 

whether that an accident I don’t know but in a busy city like London I would have thought it should be compulsory (though they would have to give masks to those without on their way into stations to ensure they wore). And that has a cost implication for TFL who are losing billions - govt need to take control !!!!

I do sometimes wonder If they are content to see a higher infection rate ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I am not going to work in a mask to then wear a mask for 12 hours. It's not happening. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

I am not going to work in a mask to then wear a mask for 12 hours. It's not happening. 

They may be effective on the wards, for sure, but they don't half make it hard to breathe at times.

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

They may be effective on the wards, for sure, but they don't half make it hard to breathe at times.

Have you had your test results back yet mate?

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Have you had your test results back yet mate?

Yes, mentioned it came back as negative a few pages ago.

Edited by Wymsey

2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Yes, mentioned it came back as negative a few pages ago.

Sorry missed that. Glad you're in the clear :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beechey said:

And for the most part the US cases and deaths are in a single region of the country.

Mostly on the East Coast, true. One would think that their complete closure has helped to limit the mass transmission from the coasts inland, aside from outbreak pockets. That idea will be tested in the coming weeks, as travel numbers have already spiked.

4 hours ago, Bayfox said:

My mates wife runs co-op Leicestershire funeral parlours, Loughborough alone is doing 90 a week just from Covid 19, and most the county the same. Down from 1 hour slots at the crematorium to 15 mins.

That's the reality of it. It's a miracle if you don't know anyone that's died from it.

I don’t, I know 4 people who’ve been tested for it and they were all negative

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'm the same I know 1 person who has definitely had it, but recovered, I know 2 people who know people who have died from it. But when you look at the numbers, I'm sure once this is over, most people will have lost a family member or a friend.  Be grateful if you don't.

9 hours ago, Tinman said:

97993116_2479395352352692_15683637697744

You can pay her to clean it as well if you want.

It's bonkers isn't it, our park was never closed, so my mother in law can come sit in our non closed park, outside my up for sale house, but can't come have a cuppa in the back garden.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Thousands of innocent lives will be lost at the hand of their “leader”. Of course it’s entirely China’s fault.

6 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

41 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

I'm the same I know 1 person who has definitely had it, but recovered, I know 2 people who know people who have died from it. But when you look at the numbers, I'm sure once this is over, most people will have lost a family member or a friend.  Be grateful if you don't.

different world up there - irrespective of the number of people I know who have died, we have had seven deaths in our local council ward to mid April and 470 across the county as a whole as of a few days ago.  As you head north through the county the numbers drop. 

Two mass gatherings in protest against lockdown are being organised for Abbey Park and Braunstone Park later this week.

It is believed the gatherings are being orchestrated by UK Freedom Movement (UKFM), which describes itself as supporting "freedom, equality and the sovereignty, structural integrity and democracy of the UK".

Police across the country are urging people not to take part.

The gatherings, which are also being organised in other locations across the country, are being scheduled for Saturday. A poster being circulated online states that the gatherings are also against "mandatory vaccines".

The poster reads: "We say no to the coronavirus bill, no to mandatory vaccines, no to the new normal and no to the unlawful lockdown."

The poster encourages people be part of what it describes as "the largest mass gathering since the lockdown", and to bring with them picnics and music.

The gathering is just one of many planned for across the UK on Saturday, and they have been widely condemned by authorities.

Other gatherings have been planned for London, Southampton, Nottingham, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Plymouth and Barnstaple.

One member of the UKFM Facebook group said: "If we all gather eating our picnics and adhere to the two-metre rule, we will not be breaking any 'rules'."

Some police forces have already said they will be taking action if the gatherings go ahead.

LeicestershireLive has asked Leicestershire Police for a comment on the matter and is awaiting a reply.

Nottinghamshire Police chief constable Craig Guildford said: "We are aware of the social media coverage which includes Southampton, London and Cardiff as well.

"We are planning, as a contingency, with our partners in the city council as we monitor the situation.

"Should any individual endanger the public by not obeying social distancing the police at the scene will be taking positive action to protect the public."

A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: "We are currently reviewing information we have received regarding a mass gathering being organised in Southampton this coming weekend.

"We are really grateful to those who contacted us about this and we will continue to assess the information we have in the coming days.

"Our response will be in line with the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 which currently prohibits large gatherings of people to limit the spread of Covid-19."

• Sad 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52656808

Coronavirus antibody test a 'positive development'

38 minutes ago

Coronavirus pandemic

A test to find out whether people have been infected with coronavirus in the past has been approved by health officials in England.

Public Health England said the antibody test, developed by Swiss pharmaceutical company Roche, was a "very positive development".

The blood test looks for antibodies to see if a person has already had the virus and might now have some immunity.

Until now, officials have said such tests are not reliable enough.

The government previously spent a reported £16m buying antibody tests which later proved to be ineffective.

Sources told the BBC the Roche test was the first one to offer serious potential.

But BBC medical correspondent Fergus Walsh said it was still unclear how much protection the presence of antibodies would give against future coronavirus infection or how long any immunity might last.

Experts at the government's Porton Down facility evaluated the Roche test last week, Public Health England said, and found it to be "highly specific".

Health minister Edward Argar said the tests would primarily be used on those in the NHS and social care settings to begin with.

But he said he could not give an exact date for when the testing could start.

Prof John Newton, national coordinator of the UK coronavirus testing programme, said: "This is a very positive development because such a highly specific antibody test is a very reliable marker of past infection.

"This in turn may indicate some immunity to future infection, although the extent to which the presence of antibodies indicates immunity remains unclear."

Roche is understood to be in talks with the Department of Health and Social Care about possible use by the NHS in England, though other testing products are also being assessed.

Health officials in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make their own decisions, but are likely to follow suit if England does adopt it.

The test already has approval from medical regulators in the EU and the United States.

But it is still not yet clear what amount of immunity from coronavirus a patient might gain from having previously been infected.

The swab tests currently being carried out in the UK determine whether someone has the virus at the time of the test.

• Thanks 1