Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Md9

Ryan bennett

Not exactly one to get the pulse racing but he's a fairly solid backup option and that's exactly what we're after. That said, I wouldn't get too excited at the disappointment from Wolves fans as I imagine that's more to do with the lack of depth in their squad than them being devastated at losing such an outstanding footballer.

Also allows Benkovic to go and build his fitness and get used to playing competitive football again instead of warming our bench or slumming it with the U23s

Edited by Guest

Not a Name I’d even really considered, but just the type of deal that is actually great business for us.

Experienced, but not over the hill.

English, so no need to adjust to living in England or the English game.

Point to prove in the PL, and also point to prove to earn a permanent deal.

No risk, as it starts as a loan.
6 months to assess him and what he brings.

18 months left on his contract, so wouldn’t cost the earth in the summer.

We have the first option to buy in the summer.

If he doesn’t play, gets seriously injured, or just doesn’t prove good enough, we walk away.

There are simply no down sides to this.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee!

From what is available in the January window, this deal works for us.

• Like 1

Very surprised at all the disappointment and confusion over this. Didn't we all know we were after CB cover?

I'm happy about this. Decent, PL-experienced player coming in which allows us to send out Benko for valuable playing time in the Championship.

I think there's a few people on here who have totally unrealistic expectations. Spoilt rotten.

• Like 3

Don’t think Most people will be happy unless we sign someone like demiral how ever it is spelt. Even if we get champs league next season we will not be guaranteed to get players like that in. Hopefully does a decent job when he is called on and we still have time to bring a winger in 

I can’t say I know anything about him, but as he’ll be coming in as back up, I think suits us fine. The majority of Wolves fans appear to be disappointed so that’s a good sign. He sounds like a good character which can’t be a bad thing either. 

Edited by Fox in the North

Personally I would have kept Benko but he needs games. Wes is 36.  Need back up and glad we did not spunk cash on a Saints reserve.  Not much point debating this now, it is how it is. 

16 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Is he better than Benkovic?  We are desperate for a centre back with Morgan out injured at the minute.

That's not the point, Benkvoic need to play more to develop and get back to fitness. He's going to develop more playing 14 games somewhere else, rather then the odd FA cup game here. 

Chances are that Bennett doesn't even get a game.  

Its called long term planning .......... 

• Like 2

Some of the replies on this thread Jesus 😂😂. Hes a good solid loan signing to back up our starters which allows a potential future starter in Benkovic to go out and get game time! Hes not meant to be a marquee signing ffs. Shame the moaners cant put as much effort into making a good atmosphere at games as they doing whinging! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, City1884 said:

Not a Name I’d even really considered, but just the type of deal that is actually great business for us.

Experienced, but not over the hill.

English, so no need to adjust to living in England or the English game.

Point to prove in the PL, and also point to prove to earn a permanent deal.

No risk, as it starts as a loan.
6 months to assess him and what he brings.

18 months left on his contract, so wouldn’t cost the earth in the summer.

We have the first option to buy in the summer.

If he doesn’t play, gets seriously injured, or just doesn’t prove good enough, we walk away.

There are simply no down sides to this.

People need to wake up and smell the coffee!

From what is available in the January window, this deal works for us.

The lad won't even have to move home.  Likely got a family, so a big factor for happiness and stability.

I don't see much wrong with this move at all.

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

I can’t say I know anything about him, but as he’ll be coming in as back up, I think suits us fine. The majority of Wolves fans appear to be disappointed so that’s a good sign. He sounds like a god character which can’t be a bad thing either. 

Certainly can't!

9 minutes ago, TazzerFox said:

How? We are letting a young back up go out on loan for much needed week in week out football and replacing him with a slightly older back up that will sit on the bench. Nothing weird at all. 

Yeah, mine was more an initial reaction, does seem a bit odd on the face of it but I do kind of get it as well. Nothing exciting but I had no expectations by this point anyway. Loan with a view to permanent makes it more acceptable in my eyes as we're effectively just facilitating Benkovic getting games.

Whats with all of the negativity? It is a back up CB, literally ticks all of those boxes..... We're not going to get a top forward thinking player in now, I'm more than satisfied with this, this team did not go on it's winning streak by accident.....

• Like 1

Remember people on here were raging because Italian international CB Rugani was linked because the Juve fans didn't like him? Now Ryan Bennett is coming in, the Wolves fans like him and guess what? People on here are raging. 

Yes it's slightly underwhelming but it's what we expected because it makes sense. Hopefully he isn't needed too much anyway but decent cover. 

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Hopefuly a stopgap, not quite Soyuncu/Benkovic is it? Concerned about a shift in transfer policy but we were warned about Congerton.

Come on, this is about developing Benkovic, not a shift in policy.

Send out your promising young CB to develop and get games, stick a old experience pro on the bench for emergencies.

I actually think it a pretty clever move.  

• Like 2

Not exactly the exciting transfer deadline day signing we were looking for, but I do think it leaves us in a better position than we were. Wes is clearly really struggling, Benko is lacking match fitness - we are bringing in an experienced PL centre back who has been playing fairly regularly for a good side. 

20 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

For all those saying underwhelming the idea is clearly to have Bennet as a back-up option not to be first team unless he really impresses. Benkovic needs regular game time - IE every week which he won't get here, but we need someone in case we get a major injury. 

It's possible Bennet doesn't play for us at all if the other players stay fit. 

Not every signing needs to be on the Tielemans hype scale.

100%. Very shrewd deal for a January signing IMO.

• Like 1