Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AndyMaidenhead

Vardy...v worried..

Here we go again:

”Lack of service”, “barely had a pass” etc.

This happens every time Vardy plays poorly. He’s having another fantastic season but he is not playing well at the moment. He’s not making the runs, he’s not making the defenders work hard enough and when he does get chances he’s snatching at them. 

Rodgers rightly made the point yesterday that him touching the ball so little is a two-way street. Blaming the rest of the team for his shortcomings is completely reductive and ignores that Vardy needs to do more. Unfortunately for Rodgers it also highlights how much we rode Vardy’s exceptional form earlier in the season.

Plenty of possible reasons for his poor form - injury, new baby etc, all of which are perfectly understandable. 

Iheanacho should be starting. Whether it’s alongside Vardy or instead of him is open to debate but he’s not justifying his position at the moment.

He hasn't looked fully fit since his injury before the West Ham game at the end of December.

That said, you absolutely cannot blame him for yesterday. Our midfield was the issue yesterday not Vardy. We didn't create a single chance and just kept passing it aimlessly from side to side and backwards. No attacker could have done anything with no service like that.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

He hasn't looked right since his knock but he's getting no service. Must have touched the ball less than 20 times last night, we just couldn't get him into the game. Didn't help that we we're still trying to play the ball up to him when Cody is so deep he's virtually on his own 12 yard box. We needed to do something different.

Needs a goal, it'll come and he'll get back to knocking them in.

Edited by Fox92

Not worried about Vardy at all, he'll be fine. He's always gone on streaks of scoring loads, followed by mini droughts. As for last night, I was genuinely shocked by how defensive Wolves were - there was absolutely zero space for Vardy. It really was like playing Burnley. Even when we were down to 10, they didn't push forward much.

Given Wolves' tactics, throwing on Nacho alongside Vardy would have made a lot of sense as it would have given us 2 players v their 3 centre halves, rather than Vardy being hopelessly isolated and surrounded by defenders. Wolves were only playing 2 in central midfield so subbing one of our central midfielders for Nacho wouldn't have left us outnumbered there. However, my view is that Brendan was happy to take a point and didn't want to risk letting Wolves getting 3 by going 442 and making the game more open. As it is that's another game chalked off and the gap to them has not closed. The end sometimes justifies the means.

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

When he came back into the team after a little “rest” something looked different, his touch was off and he was back to taking that extra touch and overthinking it, where as in his run of scoring he was doing this.

Think he isn’t doing a lot wrong as such, a few goals will see his confidence return.

A new baby lack of sleep/routine, and the midfield offering no service with Maddison and Youri sitting so deep that it’s back to 30 yard passes, where as at the start of the season they were both 20 yards higher up the pitch and Vardy on the shoulder of the last defender. 

• Like 1

Wolves had a long break and training camp - I expect they made detailed tactics preps for last night which stifled us even more than would otherwise be the case - very effective with their shape and discipline cutting off our passing lanes - more disappointing that we didn’t adjust anything but once hamza went ......

• Like 1

For me it's quite simple, against a deep block he's pretty much rendered useless. As we tend to play a little slower and try to get the intricate pass going and actually his best attribute is certainly not holding the play up. We need to mix it up. When we play against these sorts of teams actually playing 2 or having Nacho (who is better than Vardy at holding play and receiving it deeper) might be better. When we play against teams with a higher line having Vardy there to press high and make runs off the shoulder would be better. I actually think BR has a bit of a predicament. He knows that dropping Vards for Nacho would cause an uproar amongst fans and also perhaps upset the dressing room so BR is perhaps playing it safe by playing him whenever he can even if not 100% fit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ttfn said:

Here we go again:

”Lack of service”, “barely had a pass” etc.

This happens every time Vardy plays poorly. He’s having another fantastic season but he is not playing well at the moment. He’s not making the runs, he’s not making the defenders work hard enough and when he does get chances he’s snatching at them. 

Rodgers rightly made the point yesterday that him touching the ball so little is a two-way street. Blaming the rest of the team for his shortcomings is completely reductive and ignores that Vardy needs to do more. Unfortunately for Rodgers it also highlights how much we rode Vardy’s exceptional form earlier in the season.

Plenty of possible reasons for his poor form - injury, new baby etc, all of which are perfectly understandable. 

Iheanacho should be starting. Whether it’s alongside Vardy or instead of him is open to debate but he’s not justifying his position at the moment.

I agree with a lot of what you've said here but Rodgers has also mentioned hows he's endeavoured to get Vardy to run less in order to save energy. I  can see the logic behind that. However, does that not in some ways detract from Vardy's natural game and instincts, should not a player of his calibre be trusted more. The game on the pitch to a brilliant player is perhaps totally different to a manager sat on the bench. Would Rogers do the same to Ronaldo or Messi?

We have a number of players now that appear to be underperforming and whilst I do understand and partly agree with the explanation that some of our competitors have found us out to some extent, I also wonder whether Rodgers is starting to interfere and micromanage a bit too much. The changing round positionally of Evans and Soyuncu, when we had one of the most solid defences in the league is another example. His poor or non existent tactics over the Christmas period is another. Maddison out on the left when showing good form behind Vardy another. What else are they being instructed to do that doesn't come natural to them. Think Tielemans and Perez also.

It is very hard to criticise 'the Messiah' Rodgers on here without receiving a barrow load of criticism but, for me, he is also partly to blame for the slump in form and not just the players fault who it is just a lot easier to blame at times. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

Maybe has returned from surgery too early and needs more time to get back into the swing of things.

Of course, it's frustrating for everybody. Patience is the key. Still a dozen of games to go.

Also keep in mind that most of the prolific strikers in the Premier League are currently experiencing a slump, so he's not alone in that regard.

It just hurts to see him not getting any service again or not firing on all cylinders yet as an LCFC supporter.

Here's to at least one goal against Manchester City. :fc:

30 minutes ago, hejammy said:

For me it's quite simple, against a deep block he's pretty much rendered useless. As we tend to play a little slower and try to get the intricate pass going and actually his best attribute is certainly not holding the play up. We need to mix it up. When we play against these sorts of teams actually playing 2 or having Nacho (who is better than Vardy at holding play and receiving it deeper) might be better. When we play against teams with a higher line having Vardy there to press high and make runs off the shoulder would be better. I actually think BR has a bit of a predicament. He knows that dropping Vards for Nacho would cause an uproar amongst fans and also perhaps upset the dressing room so BR is perhaps playing it safe by playing him whenever he can even if not 100% fit. 

...doesn't that make him seem weak!!!!

29 minutes ago, hejammy said:

This is exactly how I understand it... Rodgers is a clever man and dropping Vards would cause uproar especially if we lost.

Vards is quality at what he does but he does have a limited skill set. His ability to play with his back to goal and link up play is very hit and miss.

You can criticise support but what are you meant to do as Tielemans and Maddison, play an inch perfect pass through 3 centre backs hoping Vards can bury it, I’m sure they would have attempted it if it was on but Wolves just defend too deep. Pérez was very poor but he has a difficult role being a winger as well as trying to come centrally holding up play, I don’t think it’s in his game to play this way. Barnes probably considered taking on players but most time’s he was doubled up because of how deep Wolves were. Rodgers needs a much better attacking approach against teams like this and it may mean starting someone else rather than Vards central and Pérez on the other wing!

24 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Not been good since he had that new child. Totally anonymous.

That’s what kids do to you. Fvck your life and career up as soon as they arrive (well mine did)

• Haha 1

Problem is against a deep block he is next to useless when marshalled by 2 or 3 good defenders. 

He cannot get any space or involve himself in the game and he is let down when we lose the midfield battle like against wolves. 

We weren't able to get him any support and thus we effectively had 10 men on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...doesn't that make him seem weak!!!!

No it makes him clever. Vardy isn't a crap player so playing him isn't going to cause the fans to be annoyed or any of the other players. It's that versus possibly upsetting both fans and players who in turn will play worse than they already are and then the inevitable BR out chants start.. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

No, lack of service is what it is.

Too much passive shite behind him, lack of service.

Which is exactly why he should reject an England call up should he get one,

Let's move FORWARD!!!

Its painfully obvious, while Puel was here the plebs were calling for the club to go and buy a replacement that he was no good. It was the slow cautious system, not the player. 

Anyone can see that he's just very isolated, his service is non existent, we're moving the ball far too slowly - the polar opposite to the start of the season..

I'd anticipate post Man City our game will pickup, Vardy will get more chances and goals and the OP will see the error of their ways :D

• Like 2