Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Fuchs to Be Given New Contract

Brendan Rodgers, the Leicester City manager, is poised to hold talks with Christian Fuchs over a new contract.

Fuchs is approaching the end of his current deal and Rodgers is keen for the defender to agree another 12-month extension and remain at the club.

Signed from Schalke on a free transfer in 2015, Fuchs was one of Leicester’s key men when they lifted the Premier League title a year later.

But the 33-year-old has previously revealed his intention to rejoin his family in New York, after helping devise a new 1,000-seater esports arena, while he also has plans to become a kicker in the NFL.

Fuchs has only made seven league starts this season, with England international Ben Chilwell seen as Leicester’s first-choice left-back.

But with Chilwell’s future uncertain, Rodgers is planning to speak with Fuchs and hopes to persuade him to stay for another season.

“I’ve loved having him around and working with him and it’s a conversation that we’ll have,” he said. “He knows he won’t play as much but he knows my trust in him. He knows the game, he’s very good tactically and can play a couple of positions so he offers us great cover. 

“He’s always been clear on his role. Christian is the type where clarity really helps him. He knows where he’s at and when I need him he’s always ready. 

“I thought he was very good against Manchester City [on Saturday night] and we will see how that goes [the talks] over the following months.”

Wes Morgan, the Leicester captain, and midfielders Andy King and Nampalys Mendy are also out of contract in the summer.

Edited by davieG
Font size reduced
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All for this!  He seems to have found a way to balance time with club and family, he is well rewarded for it, and the club still benefits.  It might also reflect a bit of realism on Christian’s part.

There are only 32 NFL place-kicking jobs, each occupied by someone who has devoted a good part of his youth and adult life to training for that specialty.  Thousands of hours devoted to specialized physical development and practice to perfect the mechanics of that one sequence.  The days of European soccer players just dropping into the NFL (without a US college career) are long gone.

• Like 1

Good news. Not only does he provide decent cover when called upon and offer a good experienced head that doesn't seem to expect first team football week in week out but it means it's one less position yo worry about in the summer and being a cheap option  frees upbfunds to be used elsewhere. 

Well deserved IMO, he plays at a high whenever selected despite his age and lack of game time. Additionally he’s looked comfortable as a CB, LB and LWB and has European experience. 

I wonder what he will do when he’s finished playing football? I suspect his business enterprises indicate he’ll go into that area but Fuchs is intelligent and charismatic and could make a good manager. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, sdb said:

No guarantee he'll sign it! He's already done a year beyond what was planned. Hope he stays but not certain he will.

I would have thought they have already had conversations about what he would like to do next for Brendan to even be discussing this. 

One of the really nice guys of football - would be great for him to stick around for another year. 

• Like 1

As others have said. Not sure he’ll accept it. Although he seems to have been able to strike the balance between living in New York and here... possibly we’ve offered to give him a couple of extra weeks off here and there given Justin’s ability to play LB too?