Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

The idea Leicester would have to enter a "playoff" for the Champions League and other big teams get straight into th comp due to last year's ranking makes me sick. That proposal was favourably put forward by a journalist on the Telegraph's podcast and it put me off my brekkie. 

Eventually the season can be finished - even if it means next season is a bit shorter. 

I don't mind something being a little unfair if we know the score beforehand.  But being robbed of a Champions League spot for no fault of our own? No. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tanya said:

The idea Leicester would have to enter a "playoff" for the Champions League and other big teams get straight into th comp due to last year's ranking makes me sick. That proposal was favourably put forward by a journalist on the Telegraph's podcast and it put me off my brekkie. 

Eventually the season can be finished - even if it means next season is a bit shorter. 

I don't mind something being a little unfair if we know the score beforehand.  But being robbed of a Champions League spot for no fault of our own? No. 

Reports this morning that they’ll say all the right things at their ‘meeting ‘ today and possibly set a time limit on when the season is finished (end June).

if they can’t get the games played by then it will be decided another way or declared null and void. 

whilst everyone will look like they’re ‘in it together’, I have always felt that the self interest in making sure that the season is declared null and void (bottom five/six plus spurs, arsenal) will mean that the 14 required to agree anything that works for us reaching the CL next time it’s played is going to prove very difficult indeed. 

that severely restricts our ability to make transfer plans for the summer which we would have expected to know by early may at the latest. 

35 minutes ago, Bert said:

Next season perhaps won’t start until September. Can see the league cup being canned. 

There’s real joined-up thinking there. If the season doesn’t recommence until May / June, players can, in effect, take an extended break now. The end of this season and the start of the next one can almost be seamless. No

need for pre-season friendlies should also enable more time to be clawed back, perhaps. Given the lack of Euros and no league cup, the work load can then be staggered to have everyone realigned inside 14 months. 

Is it possible for UEFA to change their format for next season to a knockout rounds only instead of group? Think i'm right in saying 32 teams usually in the group stage would equal a first, second, quarter, semi and then a final round, totalling 9 games. Bit shite but yeah. Also cancel domestic cup competitions? Even if the season ended in June with the intention of a normal next season, European qualifying would start at the start of July. And that is if all unfinished European leagues complete their seasons by the end of June, which I can not see happening at all.

And then there's qualifying for the 2022 World Cup, when does that start? Or was that due to start in the autumn of spring of 2021 as Nations League matches are played this autumn? Do we just scrap that instead? This is going to take worldwide cooperation

I'm still yet to see a better shout than giving 2020 to complete both this season and the Euros, then moving the 2020/21 season to February - November, as well as the following season, lining it up nicely for the winter World Cup as well.

Admittedly now the fact they've said the Euros will be June 2021 means this isn't really an option anymore but that was the fairest way around it.

Absolutely sure we're going to be screwed harder than most here. It's pretty obvious that they'd rather we didn't qualify for the Champions League so what better excuse than to screw us out of it. The very fact that suggestion where Spurs go in automatically and we have to qualify says a lot.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm still yet to see a better shout than giving 2020 to complete both this season and the Euros, then moving the 2020/21 season to February - November, as well as the following season, lining it up nicely for the winter World Cup as well.

Admittedly now the fact they've said the Euros will be June 2021 means this isn't really an option anymore but that was the fairest way around it.

Absolutely sure we're going to be screwed harder than most here. It's pretty obvious that they'd rather we didn't qualify for the Champions League so what better excuse than to screw us out of it. The very fact that suggestion where Spurs go in automatically and we have to qualify says a lot.

I think arsenal have more coefficient points than spurs ....they would rely on man city’s appeal failing ...

9 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

As expected. Can't see us playing any football till around late May early June.

If we can get increased testing, then this could happen as you could test teams and wider club staff before games. However we probably wont be seeing games played with a crowd for a long, long time I fear. 

At this stage though, I'd take behind closed doors. I just want some sport back.

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think arsenal have more coefficient points than spurs ....they would rely on man city’s appeal failing ...

The proposal I read was more to do with having this seasons qualifiers get in by default and teams in the qualifying spaces having to go through a play-off, rather than going through a co-efficient.

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

The proposal I read was more to do with having this seasons qualifiers get in by default and teams in the qualifying spaces having to go through a play-off, rather than going through a co-efficient.

If the league can’t agree on a way forward and FIFA won’t allow the season to go on any longer then it’s gets messy. I assume UEFA would take the decision out of the PL’s hands and 5 year coefficient may be the most sensible way forward for them. 

On 19/03/2020 at 01:26, Tanya said:

The real power in society is reflected in football too. At times like this we see the rich get richer (just like 2008) and its no different with football. 

What we have done in the last few years is very unique. We've dismantled franchise-like status quo. Its only in years to come we'll realise how unique this period was, not just for us, but for football period.

• Like 1

On 19/03/2020 at 15:48, moore_94 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if more players with contracts ending in June do this

I imagine if they are willing it wouldn’t be too hard to get them onto rolling contracts for as long as needed to see out the season

You may see players on 3 month contracts.

On 19/03/2020 at 22:48, Lionator said:

If we can get increased testing, then this could happen as you could test teams and wider club staff before games. However we probably wont be seeing games played with a crowd for a long, long time I fear. 

At this stage though, I'd take behind closed doors. I just want some sport back.

It is all ifs buts and maybes right now but I fear you are correct. You never know I suppose but it is hard to say any sport being played this summer. We have no prospect of long term control over this virus and there was a statement just the other day that trying to get it to peak, abate, then peak again in a controlled manner would take 2 years to get it under some sort of control for life to continue normally. Has to be a real possibility mass spectator sport doesn't return until summer of 2021.

• Like 1