Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Paninistickers

EMERGENCY LOCKDOWN THREAD

I'm meant to be moving house next week. Contracts exchanged about a month ago. What happens now?

Apologies as I know its insensitive given the bigger issues we are facing, but I'm pretty concerned. Will removal companies, estate agents etc. still be operating in such cases?

6 minutes ago, Benguin said:

My car has its Mot next week will Mots still happen do you reckon? I live in the middles of nowhere so need to drive to get food. 

It's been suspended for HGV's, cars are under review apparently, soon to be announced 

The DVSA have set up an exemption website and if the decision is made (which now seems likely) to exempt MOTs then they'll switch this on and you'll need to register you car on the Gov website for an exemption. Over a hundred thousand cars are MOT'd each day so that number just seems too high for the Government to enforce at the moment given what they're trying to achieve 

1 hour ago, sdb said:

I'm meant to be moving house next week. Contracts exchanged about a month ago. What happens now?

Apologies as I know its insensitive given the bigger issues we are facing, but I'm pretty concerned. Will removal companies, estate agents etc. still be operating in such cases?

Not insensitive at all, it's a genuine concern. Moving house is stressful enough without it being in the middle of a ****ing lockdown!

Might be best to have a discussion with the estate agent if they're open so that they can get all parties involved to see the best way forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sdb said:

I am a conveyancer and have been told we are working as normal, unless there is a full shutdown you should move on the day

8 hours ago, ketteringscott said:

I am a conveyancer and have been told we are working as normal, unless there is a full shutdown you should move on the day

Oh I hope so, thanks. Problem is the removal guys are refusing to work now. Today is gonna be stressful, and the girlfriend is definitely close to killing someone, probably me.

8 hours ago, ketteringscott said:

It’s tough isn’t it - I mean whilst conveyancer’s are hanging on in their to get the money out of the pipe line that’s exchanging- people can’t get their keys because estate agents are closed and removal firms are packing up as well....

2 hours ago, sdb said:

Oh I hope so, thanks. Problem is the removal guys are refusing to work now. Today is gonna be stressful, and the girlfriend is definitely close to killing someone, probably me.

Yep. We got a text this morning to say the new mortgage money will be in the account on Thursday. The people we're buying from have an old chap in his nineties living there. Assuming we won't be able to rent a van(?) and the guys we'd earmarked to help us move probably won't be able to now. 

However it's the health of the old chap I'm most worried about, but honestly, the timing could not be worse.

• Sad 2

Just passing thoughts.....

Its Not Really suprising,how many Variants of life's daily diverse routines are being brought up,discovered, some not even thought about,

each one life Changing all at different levels.

Then the snowball or Knock on effect,that dwindles again along various lines. All individuals life stages important,some maybe not even financial recouperable.

#My son-in-law,is in the Middle of Changing his employment...Old job being allowed to be Terminated 2 months in advance,

New job with Contracts signed,to start in April .My daughter( his wife) just finished her Master ,waiting to start looking for a new job. They Live in Switzerland...

# My other young daughter,here in Germany after completing her apprenticeship,and this last year ,completing a Short contract.Been told in      Febuary she will  get either an Extended 5 year or "unbefristet" permanent deal.

She has just brought a house  ( last September), and moved in, in December..

One wonders,..if in simular cases, The Companies will Pull the plug....Though in both cases at the time,their future Jobs positions were said

to be needed..

All over the world,though obviously Major concern and more relevant Western Europe...

I Really Hope ,that somehow people in majority of cases dont lose their jobs,or the  roof over their heads. No Govt. will have the Financial Platform to pay,

1-2 years .across the board. A temporary,then permanent method/ideology into our way of life is going need to  change dramatically,

in all spheres of our political/social/business/Working approaches to our lives...!!

We cant have families just  thrown out on the streets,mortgages & Banking to Business and Private,will need to be recalculated...

Dare I say,and only thinking of Western European countries,when/it this All blows over:-

All public-Service /Emergency-services ,Medical/policing/Social services & support,need firstly a massive Show of more seen respect in their own actions from the  People on the street and Governments.  Also Respectively a Wages and longer contracts boost..No more Short staffing,for any shift,or weekends.

Its been Proven with govts bailing out failing Business in the past,and now having the Financial platform & Funds to help pay & support,employers & employees.

that governments has had, and would ( presuming return to some sort of normality) be able to Budget for a more decent wage structure.

These Groups IMO,should be the highest priority in the "future" society ,relevant Not only to wages,but also rescources,buildings,und Working Environment & standards..No Cutting down in qualifications ,staff  or Quality to Save money...Again All public-services.

Edited by fuchsntf

6 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Yep. We got a text this morning to say the new mortgage money will be in the account on Thursday. The people we're buying from have an old chap in his nineties living there. Assuming we won't be able to rent a van(?) and the guys we'd earmarked to help us move probably won't be able to now. 

However it's the health of the old chap I'm most worried about, but honestly, the timing could not be worse.

I think if you ring around you might find a removal company who will do it.  You have a legal contract so hard not to really.

On 23/03/2020 at 21:16, sdb said:

We are almost ready to exchange contracts now, just waiting for a date then. I’m keeping in daily contact with our solicitor, the latest info I have had from her is that they are carrying on as normal until told otherwise. Have spoken to the estate agent and arranged with the vendor for him to hand over the keys if everywhere is still shutdown, as they were going to be closed from today. Initial date the vendor wanted to be done by is 2 weeks away. 

I’ll be gutted if it gets stopped now. 

45 minutes ago, stix said:

We are almost ready to exchange contracts now, just waiting for a date then. I’m keeping in daily contact with our solicitor, the latest info I have had from her is that they are carrying on as normal until told otherwise. Have spoken to the estate agent and arranged with the vendor for him to hand over the keys if everywhere is still shutdown, as they were going to be closed from today. Initial date the vendor wanted to be done by is 2 weeks away. 

I’ll be gutted if it gets stopped now. 

Good luck. Looks like we might be able to get this done on Friday - 4 days earlier than planned - so a) praying it goes through and b) trying to pack a weeks worth of packing into 48 hours!!

Coronavirus: People urged not to move house

The government has urged people not to move house to try to limit the spread of coronavirus across the UK.

Buyers and renters should delay moving while emergency stay-at-home measures are in place, it said.

Its comments come amid reports banks are pressing for a full suspension of the UK housing market.

Lenders are concerned about the effect of the pandemic on valuations, according to the Financial Times.

Banks are also worried about granting mortgages during this period of extreme economic uncertainty, the FT said.

The government said that while there "is no need to pull out of transactions", "we all need to ensure we are following guidance to stay at home and away from others at all times".

If a property is vacant, people can continue with the transaction, although they must ensure they are following guidelines with regards to home removals.

But if the house is occupied "we encourage all parties to do all they can to amicably agree alternative dates to move".

Property listings websites say that interest in moving home has slumped amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Zoopla said demand in the week to 22 March fell 40% from the week before and it predicted housing transactions would drop by up to 60% over the next three months.

Meanwhile, it said a "rapidly increasing" proportion of sales were falling through, as would-be buyers "reassess whether to make a big financial decision in these shifting times".

Rival website Rightmove also said the slowdown in the UK housing market had been "significant".

"The number of property transactions failing to complete in recent days and likely changes in tenant behaviour following the announcement of the renters' protections by the government may put further pressure on estate and lettings agents," it said, referring to the recent ban on evictions.

Went to Aldi in Blaby this afternoon.

Queued for a short time outside (about 10 in the line, all safe distancing).

I wore mask and gloves - looked a right idiot but hey ho.

2 metre markings at check out.

Operative asked customers to put goods in their trolley/basket when scanned and put them in bags outside to speed up service.

All very sensible IMHO.

And they had plenty of bog roll.

However, trying to keep 2m apart in the aisles was a largely pointless exercise.

7 hours ago, davieG said:

Coronavirus: People urged not to move house

The government has urged people not to move house to try to limit the spread of coronavirus across the UK.

Buyers and renters should delay moving while emergency stay-at-home measures are in place, it said.

Its comments come amid reports banks are pressing for a full suspension of the UK housing market.

Lenders are concerned about the effect of the pandemic on valuations, according to the Financial Times.

Banks are also worried about granting mortgages during this period of extreme economic uncertainty, the FT said.

The government said that while there "is no need to pull out of transactions", "we all need to ensure we are following guidance to stay at home and away from others at all times".

If a property is vacant, people can continue with the transaction, although they must ensure they are following guidelines with regards to home removals.

But if the house is occupied "we encourage all parties to do all they can to amicably agree alternative dates to move".

Property listings websites say that interest in moving home has slumped amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Zoopla said demand in the week to 22 March fell 40% from the week before and it predicted housing transactions would drop by up to 60% over the next three months.

Meanwhile, it said a "rapidly increasing" proportion of sales were falling through, as would-be buyers "reassess whether to make a big financial decision in these shifting times".

Rival website Rightmove also said the slowdown in the UK housing market had been "significant".

"The number of property transactions failing to complete in recent days and likely changes in tenant behaviour following the announcement of the renters' protections by the government may put further pressure on estate and lettings agents," it said, referring to the recent ban on evictions.

Alot of Selling und buying,is bound up in sort of chaining...I am not sure if one can just expect immediate House Marketing stop.

Even moving in the rent Market or rent-to ownership, will be Knock on effects....

Move agreed,House/Flat available on day X.....how do you Stay put without

Breaking contractual regulations and responsibilities. Or house emptied,with nowhere to go After Date X..

I won't express my thoughts about this policeman fining a shop owner for chalking marks on pavement to show 2m distancing...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8159177/Police-forces-accused-overzealousness-follow-dog-walkers.html

Regarding police actions to stop people driving to take exercise:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 state that  no person may leave home without reasonable excuse, a reasonable excuse being to take exercise either alone or with members of the household. This  does not state the exercise must be immediate, so a drive in a car to immediately take exercise must, in my view, be lawful

Edited by oxford blue