Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

14 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I reckon you've over estimated the value of those players to sell by about £18m

‘About’?! 

Each to his own @hackneyfox I intended to be conservative in my valuations. For example, Perez is £30m, McNeil £35m+. On that basis I’ve massively undervalued Iheanacho & Gray.

It’s not of course about intrinsic value but about a number of factors like time left on contract, age, nationality etc. I don’t think I’m far out?

Edited by Steve Earle
Typo

10 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

‘About’?! 

Each to his own @hackneyfox I intended to be conservative in my valuations. For example, Perez is £30m, McNeil £35m+. On that basis I’ve massively undervalued Iheanacho & Gray.

It’s not of course about intrinsic value but about a number of factors like time left on contract, age, nationality etc. I don’t think I’m far out?

There's a difference between buying players a club wants to keep and selling those you don't in terms of value. No way anyone is paying us money for Slimani

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I caught the thread on twitter and couldn't believe it. I just assumed it was a few bad eggs but a lot of folk are not keen on him. 

I wonder what it is that gets people's backs up about him. 

Gotta be the price tag.

Anything over 60mill for a left back is outrageous really. 

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

‘About’?! 

In the real world, no one is going to pay a bean for Slimani are they, an ageing player in the final year of his contract on huge wages compared to what he's worth in Europe. Perez didn't cost 30m. Daniel Armarty is also contracted until June 22 so no wages to be saved there. We also still have Silva and Diabate to pay for at present with no sign of a rush on to sign them.

9 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

In the real world, no one is going to pay a bean for Slimani are they, an ageing player in the final year of his contract on huge wages compared to what he's worth in Europe. Perez didn't cost 30m. Daniel Armarty is also contracted until June 22 so no wages to be saved there. We also still have Silva and Diabate to pay for at present with no sign of a rush on to sign them.

Also Ghezzal and James. At least Kapustka's gone. That's a start. This time next year will be good when Slimani and Silva are finally off the wage bill. Possibly James, as well. Frees up £160k-£200k p/w.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Also Ghezzal and James. At least Kapustka's gone. That's a start. This time next year will be good when Slimani and Silva are finally off the wage bill. Possibly James, as well. Frees up £160k-£200k p/w.

Kingy gone too, there's another 40-50k a week saved. The money we've saved in Kapustka and King going has gone straight into Maddisons new contract though.

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

He was exposed mainly due to Norwich’s naive tactics for a newly promoted side. Young players tend to be inconsistent and guidance. Has a fair few qualities that can be developed to make him a very good LB. I don’t think we are going to get a ready made replacement for Chilwell or anyone else for that matter if and when he does go.

How different are Norwich's tactics from ours? If he was defensively exposed in a high line playing possession football, there's a risk that he will be exposed at our team, with its high line and possession football. Part of the reason we can afford to have just Ndidi cover for our backline is that our fullbacks are defensively capable in one-on-ones and relatively cool when caught up the pitch (Chilwell had some problems this year, but look at his 18/19 form). If Lewis is not capable of that then it's best we look elsewhere. Any player we sign will be a gamble, but this guy literally just had an awful season. I'd much rather we invested in someone coming off an impressive season, with enough of the attributes necessary to succeed in our system.

16 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I am very surprised some people are suggesting it’s good for the club. Is it not the ambition of the club to compete with top teams? 

What annoys me is every summer transfer window we hear the same old crap “none of our key players are for sale” so Kante, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Maguire and now potentially Chillwell all leave..... Don’t come out and say things like this if it isn’t true, we’re constantly selling our best assets to bigger clubs, and one day it will undo us. As mentioned Chilly isn’t perfect, but he is probably better than what we could replace him with in the time we have, plus it’s another position we then need to worry about replacing. 

We are forever taking strides forwards, and then leaps backwards, we’re no different to Southampton these days, it was the aim of the club to break the mould after we won the PL, and consistently battle with the top teams, not sell them all of our assets. There’s no need for us to keep selling them, we don’t need to, especially to rival teams. We need to decide what we want as a club and stick with it, if we want to compete with the big clubs then we need to start to act like one and I’m not talking about spending millions, just retaining our best players whilst adding good young players to the mix. Or are we are satisfied with battling for Europa? It annoys me that one week Brendan is saying it would take a world record fee to take Chillwell away from the club, and then the papers are reporting differently. Doesn’t send out a good message. I understand every players have a price, but we frankly look a bit stupid, when we say they’re not for sale and then months later they’re gone. The bank may look healthy but we will have this constant battle to replace players we lose.  

If we sold him for £64 million it literally would be a world record fee for a left back. We don't look stupid at all, consistently selling our players for well over their actual value. We wouldn't have the players we do if we didn't sell Mahrez and Maguire for big money. We need to sell to grow, bigger clubs than us in less competitive leagues do so, there's no shame and no issue with it. Southampton would let multiple players leave in one window, we aren't them. Keep the losses replaceable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Tbf, if Demarai Gray was switched on and defensively capable enough to be a fullback, he'd be one of the best in the world.

Ashley Cole was a winger in his early Arsenal days. 

It became apparent that he wasn’t going to make it, so was slotted in a full back as cover for a few games.

The rest as they say, is history .....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

It became apparent that he wasn’t going to make it, so was slotted in a full back as cover for a few games.

I think Ricardo started off as a winger as well.

1 hour ago, Sly said:

You mean when he was nine ?

i think dimi has missed that particular boat ...... he generally struggles to know where he is on the pitch, never mind where his opponent might be if he were actually in defence ! 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You mean when he was nine ?

i think dimi has missed that particular boat ...... he generally struggles to know where he is on the pitch, never mind where his opponent might be if he were actually in defence ! 

Oh, without a shadow of doubt, he’s too old now to make that transition now. I’m  not convinced he’d have made the transition when he was younger. 

Cole was still playing winger at U16

Edited by Sly

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Kingy gone too, there's another 40-50k a week saved. The money we've saved in Kapustka and King going has gone straight into Maddisons new contract though.

I’m happy with that though and it makes sense. Whilst I’m not madders biggest fan I appreciate hes one of our better players and we need to keep him tied down so that when eventually he does want to leave we can get proper money for him. It will pay for itself.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Is this going ahead or not? There's sources saying he's cleared his locker and sources saying they don't want him. 

Both are true and he's currently sitting in Costa at Toddington services with a duffel bag full of kit, crying over a honeycomb latte macchiato.

On 15/08/2020 at 21:38, Vardinio'sCat said:

What percentage of tweets are genuine on Twitter though?

There's definitely an element of bots and bandwagon jumpers who don't fully realise what they're supporting, but do so because it makes them look like they're good people. At the core of any particular Twitter outrage there's just a few very loud people who either have an agenda or lack the intelligence to understand the issue they're talking about. Then things have a tendency to snowball.

I don't see how you can define your political enemies using the Twitter-verse. Whatever you are moaning about is just as likely to have originated in some troll farm or other, or have been amplified or twisted by such. It used to be called 'astroturfing', although I'm probably out of date (because I don't use social media :thumbup:). Perhaps 'gaslighting' is a more modern equivalent. Reality (or at least an evidence based reality) is complicated, and it takes more to understand than anything that can be said in a few short sentences.

This is a huge issue at the minute. Twitter Mobs. They can be immensely powerful. Danny Baker tweeted something he thought was an innocent joke about royalty being performing monkeys before Prince Archie's birth, and the twitter mob came for him because they took the worst possible interpretation of it and assumed he was being racist about him being mixed race - the BBC sacked him. Alister Stewart tweeted a Shakespeare quote about a wild ape to multiple people, one of whom was black, and they again took the worst possible interpretation of it and got him sacked after 42 years. The Corbynistas have been abusive to Rachel Riley for years because she was vehemently anti-Corbyn because of the anti semitism he presided over as Labour. That's just 3 examples of how crazy some of these people are.

I notice that most heavy social media users seem to be perpetually angry, or on the verge of anger. It's almost as if their emotions are being manipulated by a finely tuned AI which exploits our innate vulnerabilities to monetize us, and poison our politics

It's become a really toxic place, and is very bad for people. It's Facebook has too, on some topics. And I couldn't agree more that it's happening by design.

• Like 3