Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Twitter Transfer Rumours

13 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Stones is a good player but he's also known to make some horrific defensive mistakes.  

No chance he's better than Evans who has been faultless all season.

So faultless the league have stopped him playing for 3 games next season to give others an advantage 

11 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I've just never saw Stones as that great a defender. He's a good athlete and he is comfortable on the ball but when it comes to JUST being a CB and defending, his positional awareness and instincts are below what I personally feel a PL defender should process. 

Like I said, for £20m I would sign him as he would have his place, especially in games we would control the possession but in big games against the best in the league, I would have Evans over him as he is a better defender. 

That said, in a back 3 with Evans between him and Soyuncu..... now that could be great. 

This for me would be an excellent opinion, if we play a 3, he's better on the ball then both Evans and Soyuncu for me. 

However I'd be shock if he doesn't end up at Arsenal!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

John Stones is an upgrade on Jonny Evans to be honest. He just is. His attributes are the perfect foil for Cags. 

He isn't an upgrade. He needs someone like Evans next to him for a year or two and then yes he may be an Evans replacement. Cags, Evans, stones in a 3 would be as good as most if not all centre backs in the league 

43 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

Stones is a good player but he's also known to make some horrific defensive mistakes.  

No chance he's better than Evans who has been faultless all season.

I’d argue recently evans has been full of faults. But prior to the last few games, I’d agree.

John Stones has come off the boil and perhaps might rejuvenate himself if leaving Man City. he's still young at 26. However, here comes the but...

Has had a number of injuries that have put him out of action over long periods of time whilst at Man City.

I think at some points he's been on the bench and Fernandinho *not a CB, has been picked ahead of him which is worrying.

He's on a huge wage, and VERY unlikely to take a drop to sit on our bench, I don't recall him playing in a 3 (happy to be corrected)

Whilst 20m seems like a snip given the price he went to Man City for, I think there are other options out there equally as good, and less wages to pay on signing.

56 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Surprising to see a post of yours with an ending like this.

I surprised myself.  I am sure he will get showered with compliments after the window closes.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

John Stones has come off the boil and perhaps might rejuvenate himself if leaving Man City. he's still young at 26. However, here comes the but...

Has had a number of injuries that have put him out of action over long periods of time whilst at Man City.

I think at some points he's been on the bench and Fernandinho *not a CB, has been picked ahead of him which is worrying.

He's on a huge wage, and VERY unlikely to take a drop to sit on our bench, I don't recall him playing in a 3 (happy to be corrected)

Whilst 20m seems like a snip given the price he went to Man City for, I think there are other options out there equally as good, and less wages to pay on signing.

Played in a 3 for England in the WC.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

This for me would be an excellent opinion, if we play a 3, he's better on the ball then both Evans and Soyuncu for me. 

However I'd be shock if he doesn't end up at Arsenal!

He'd be a great fit for Arsenal, they love players who are technically great at passing out from the back but struggle with the actual defending aspect of being a defender.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, matty98 said:

Would rather go for Schar if we're after a Newcastle CB, plays the ball out well and pops up with a few goals.

Not had the best of seasons but neither did Evans when we signed him.

Rodgers tried to get Schar at Celtic before he went to Newcastle as his release clause was £3m odd as Deportivo (I think) had been relegated. Don't be surprised if he's still on Congerton's "list". He'd have been a star for us in Scotland but have doubts over whether he'd threaten to start games for Leicester. May be a good cover option if he could be purchased for a reasonable fee.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Based on what? Newcastle aren't renown for selling players that cheaply. £30+m would easily be the going rate for someone like him, he's also their captain don't forget.

Agree with this, £30m seems to be the going rate for which EPL clubs sell average players to one another these days, look under your own nose, Perez for example. Lascelles is every bit as important to Newcastle as Perez was, more so perhaps given he's club captain.

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I think he's a better all round player than someone like Ake who they just signed but apparently he's been having family issues which has made him lose focus + he's had loads of injuries. It is a gamble cos of the injuries/form.

Ake is a far far better player than John Stones.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Ake is a far far better player than John Stones.

Ake is rated way higher than his actual ability as a centreback is. John Stones has been suffering a lot off the pitch in the last few years with injuries and personal issues. It's way off to say ake is a far far better player, 17/18 john stones is better than ake has been at any point in his career and was looking like he would get even better, but he's had a dip since then due to circumstances. Maybe at the moment ake slightly edges stones but in terms of natural ability stones was always ahead. Apparently Ake hasnt even been bought as a centreback anyway he's been bought as a LB to replace zinchenko, so they wont be directly comparable.

13 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Marginally better than the pair of them, perhaps. But for 20-30odd million not much of an improvement on Perez let’s be honest. I think you’re going to be bitterly disappointed if you’re expecting Brooks’s to come here and take us to the ‘next level’. Is he really that much better than Gray and Perez? If you put either of them in Bournemouth or a lower prem side they’d probably look half decent 

It's about margins.  Brooks is marginally better than what we have got.  He would improve our starting capacity.  We rotate a fair amount so he wouldn't always start.

If you were picking a best starting 11 from  our current squad plus Brooks, Brooks would start.  I see you are jumping over other people's views (you may well have the bestest views on the forum)  but you have acknowledged he is marginally better.  Therefore, he would help to develop the team.

53 minutes ago, martyn said:

Agree with the comments that Stones should be considered, only if we were planning to shift to 3 at the back permanently.

This for me is the key. Stones coming in to play in a back three I'd be very content with. Stones coming in to play in a back two would leave the transfer representing slightly more risk. With Benkovic and Morgan to back up Evans, Soyuncu and Stones, that is a clear upgrade on our current defensive options. If we want to stick with a back two, then Stones would be a reasonable signing but I can't see him leaving the Man City bench to sit on ours.

He'd need to take a pay cut and his injury record is a worry too. Lots of pros and a few cons to this one imo. Of all the CB's we've been linked with so far, Demiral is still the one that I feel most excited about even if it is unrealistic.

16 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I love all these "Lascelles isn't good enough" takes.  If Lascelles isn't good enough, signing someone you consider good enough is likely to cost at least 30 million.  Is that an OK spend on a CB in the current situation?

Let's be real here.  We're looking to sign someone to be our 3rd-best CB, maybe 4th if Benkovic steps up.  Lascelles can certainly be that.  I also think it's not a bad thing to have a confident veteran voice in the clubhouse as a check against the existing player power faction (and we all know who they are). 

Lascelles won't be coming here to sit on a bench, be sure of that.

5 hours ago, Unique FC said:

BBC Gossip column mentioning John Stones worth 20 million, clearly not confident at Man City or wanted by Guardiola. 

Seems a reasonable fee, Rodgers is regarded as a very good coach to get the best out of him, we are missing Evans for first 3 games of season + European football too so he will get lots of games. 

If Man City can pay some of his wages so it is reasonable for our club this could be a good move. 

Ake on the way, making moves for Jose Gimenez.... I know he has made a few mistakes but perhaps Man City is not the right fit for Stones, it would be one player I think we should look at.

2 hours ago, majaco said:

Has Brooks or his uncle bullied you in the past?  You are very negative about him.

**** me you David Brooks fans are a weird bunch lol Is everything ok? Might have to start a David Brooks forum so all of you lads have a place to display your affection away from Leicester 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, majaco said:

It's about margins.  Brooks is marginally better than what we have got.  He would improve our starting capacity.  We rotate a fair amount so he wouldn't always start.

If you were picking a best starting 11 from  our current squad plus Brooks, Brooks would start.  I see you are jumping over other people's views (you may well have the bestest views on the forum)  but you have acknowledged he is marginally better.  Therefore, he would help to develop the team.

I said marginally perhaps. Perez is a worse player according to you lot, well we need more goals from our wingers to improve our side and he has scored more goals this season playing fewer games for us than Brooks did all of last season.

Im saying this without being Perez’ biggest fan either. 

Btw I had to take Brooks stats from last year not this year because he’s apparently made of glass.