Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Twitter Transfer Rumours

7 hours ago, honeybradger said:

So we cant sign players from lower prem sides because they will always look worse with us? Who are we going to sign then? Perez is a good player if used properly but he doesnt suit our team currently, Gray has been struggling to develop in what was a poor ex title winning side, then a really dull puel side. Brooks fits us perfectly and already plays a lot more experienced than Gray does. Im not sure who you want us to sign, players blowing the doors off at other midtable clubs wont go to us, struggling top 6 players rarely work out for lower teams.

Why are you so upset about me not rating Brooks as a top 6 winger? Are you his uncle or something

• Haha 1

Just now, matty98 said:

Would rather go for Schar if we're after a Newcastle CB, plays the ball out well and pops up with a few goals.

Not had the best of seasons but neither did Evans when we signed him.

I'm mates with a Geordie who knows his football and he doesn't rate Schar that highly. Reckons Fernandez is comfortably their best centre half and Schar + Lascelles aren't that special at all

9 minutes ago, Goober said:

I'm mates with a Geordie who knows his football and he doesn't rate Schar that highly. Reckons Fernandez is comfortably their best centre half and Schar + Lascelles aren't that special at all

This season Schar hasn't been great, last season he was quality though. Heard a lot of comments along the lines of he doesn't seem interested. Very similar to what we heard from West Brom fans before we signed Evans.

9 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

You honestly believe that Gray and/or Perez are better wingers than Brooks? 

Stats (Brooks all time in prem v Perez this season) would suggest that Perez is more effective although I agree that stats can be misleading. I honestly don’t see Brooks as being any better than what we’ve got, I know that’s going to come as a surprise to the Brooks superfans on here. Are we doing the right thing spending 25-30m on this guy? I really hope we don’t. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I love all these "Lascelles isn't good enough" takes.  If Lascelles isn't good enough, signing someone you consider good enough is likely to cost at least 30 million.  Is that an OK spend on a CB in the current situation?

Let's be real here.  We're looking to sign someone to be our 3rd-best CB, maybe 4th if Benkovic steps up.  Lascelles can certainly be that.  I also think it's not a bad thing to have a confident veteran voice in the clubhouse as a check against the existing player power faction (and we all know who they are). 

Lascelles is likely to cost £30m or more though so I don't get your point? 

Premier league CBs are way overvalued, better to look abroad for sure. You aren’t getting many decent ones for sub £30m from another prem team unless they’ve got a release clause. Tyrone mings went for £25m didn’t he? That says it all

Edited by lcfc sheff
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Nah, he won't cost that much.

Based on what? Newcastle aren't renown for selling players that cheaply. £30+m would easily be the going rate for someone like him, he's also their captain don't forget.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Based on what? Newcastle aren't renown for selling players that cheaply. £30+m would easily be the going rate for someone like him, he's also their captain don't forget.

Well first of all, this is only a bogus Sean rumor to begin with and I don't especially think Newcastle will sell him.  If they do, he'll only fetch 15-20 because that's the level of player he is.  He's not good enough to start for a big six side or PSG or Bayern, et al, and it's interest from one of those caliber of clubs that drives the prices up.

In order to get enough to consider selling him, Newcastle would have to price him higher than anyone will pay.  Just doesn't seem to add up as a rumor.

BBC Gossip column mentioning John Stones worth 20 million, clearly not confident at Man City or wanted by Guardiola. 

Seems a reasonable fee, Rodgers is regarded as a very good coach to get the best out of him, we are missing Evans for first 3 games of season + European football too so he will get lots of games. 

If Man City can pay some of his wages so it is reasonable for our club this could be a good move. 

5 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

BBC Gossip column mentioning John Stones worth 20 million, clearly not confident at Man City or wanted by Guardiola. 

Seems a reasonable fee, Rodgers is regarded as a very good coach to get the best out of him, we are missing Evans for first 3 games of season + European football too so he will get lots of games. 

If Man City can pay some of his wages so it is reasonable for our club this could be a good move. 

I think Stones is massively overrated but for £20m, he would definately be worth the gamble although I just don't see him going for that amount. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Why are you so upset about me not rating Brooks as a top 6 winger? Are you his uncle or something

Just a bit confused who you want to go for then. 7 goals 5 assists in your first PL season for a team like bournemouth is really good, perez isnt a winger so you cant really compare goals + assists. 

7 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think Stones is massively overrated but for £20m, he would definately be worth the gamble although I just don't see him going for that amount. 

John stones isn't a gamble. It would be an ideal signing for us. He is a class player that just needs game time. He would be perfect for us. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

John stones isn't a gamble. It would be an ideal signing for us. He is a class player that just needs game time. He would be perfect for us. 

I think he's a better all round player than someone like Ake who they just signed but apparently he's been having family issues which has made him lose focus + he's had loads of injuries. It is a gamble cos of the injuries/form.

Guest An Sionnach
10 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

John Stones is an upgrade on Jonny Evans to be honest. He just is. His attributes are the perfect foil for Cags. 

Stones is an upgrade on Evans? Stones should have been converted to a midfielder years ago. He is barely championship standard as a centre back.

12 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

John Stones is an upgrade on Jonny Evans to be honest. He just is. His attributes are the perfect foil for Cags. 

Stones is a good player but he's also known to make some horrific defensive mistakes.  

No chance he's better than Evans who has been faultless all season.

• Like 2

I've just never saw Stones as that great a defender. He's a good athlete and he is comfortable on the ball but when it comes to JUST being a CB and defending, his positional awareness and instincts are below what I personally feel a PL defender should process. 

Like I said, for £20m I would sign him as he would have his place, especially in games we would control the possession but in big games against the best in the league, I would have Evans over him as he is a better defender. 

That said, in a back 3 with Evans between him and Soyuncu..... now that could be great. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I love all these "Lascelles isn't good enough" takes.  If Lascelles isn't good enough, signing someone you consider good enough is likely to cost at least 30 million.  Is that an OK spend on a CB in the current situation?

Let's be real here.  We're looking to sign someone to be our 3rd-best CB, maybe 4th if Benkovic steps up.  Lascelles can certainly be that.  I also think it's not a bad thing to have a confident veteran voice in the clubhouse as a check against the existing player power faction (and we all know who they are). 

Of course it is.

You shouldn't sign someone with the mentality of thinking they can only ever be 3rd or 4th choice. You should sign someone good enough to compete for a place in the first team, and if they're better than what we've got they go into the team. You cant think so-and-so should have a job for life because they're already in the team. We should be looking to improve and have some ambition ffs. It's not like Evans and Soyuncu were unreal throughout the season start to finish, neither of them covered themselves in glory after Christmas and we ended up with the 6th best defensive record. We can improve.

Obvious hyperbolic example, but if Messi was in an accident tomorrow and sustained some weird head injury where the only effect was he suddenly demanded to be transferred to Leicester City on our terms, you wouldnt say that we can't sign him because we've already got a first-choice striker who's done well. You fvck Vardy off to the bench immediately and you get Messi in.

• Like 1