Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dayday

Luka Jovic

I would hope Vardy is included in the discussion of his successor/ retirement. He's such an important and influential player, one of only a handful I would genuinely be happy to see get a statue, that it feels wrong not to give him the chance to go out in a way that suits both us and him.

I don't want a situation where he's forced out and does a final year at Burnley or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I would hope Vardy is included in the discussion of his successor/ retirement. He's such an important and influential player, one of only a handful I would genuinely be happy to see get a statue, that it feels wrong not to give him the chance to go out in a way that suits both us and him.

I don't want a situation where he's forced out and does a final year at Burnley or something. 

It worked well for Sir Alex :ph34r:

I agree he shouldn't be shipped off to a retirement home, but I don't get why he should have a say in who takes his place. As legendary as he is, he isn't Brendan's typical striker. If you're bringing the next striker in to be 'Vardy' then we'll be disappointed.

Iheanacho can bag 15-20 a season as first choice I feel, and will get more assists too. Jovic and him pushing Vardy next year, somebody there won't get the game time they want. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Jovic is a classic example of why moving to the biggest club possible can be a disaster for a young player.  Their careers are insignificant to the big clubs, as is money - throwing a lot of it at a player and then keeping them around gathering dust as insurance is nothing to them.  Pulisic is another good example - he should never have gone to Chelsea, and Chelsea is no Real Madrid.

That said, I'm highly skeptical Jovic would sign with us.  In his mind, he can still do better.  

Pulisic is literally one of, if not the form player in the PL. That's just about the worst example to prove your point you could have chosen lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

God I hope not. 

2 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Pulisic is literally one of, if not the form player in the PL. That's just about the worst example to prove your point you could have chosen lol

And how much time did he lose by being needlessly benched when he clearly deserved to be starting?  Those are games he'll never get back.

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, the most important person in all of this is Vardy himself.

Fuchs and Wes have adapted pretty well to their new role at Leicester, they're happy to retire here, they're comfortable seeing their playing time reduced and supporting young players at the club.

Vardy obviously doesn't need to have his playing time so immediately reduced but it'll be impossible to replace him with a long-term successor without his co-operation to an extent because we cannot just sign someone and bench him until Vards is ready to stop. Neither Iheanacho or Slimani were ever really going to be as good as Vardy for us, I don't believe, but both would almost certainly have had better careers at this club if Vardy hadn't been here. 

We're never going to sign a player of the calibre of Jovic if Vards isn't going to accept taking a lesser role at the club with a view to the future, I don't see Rodgers ever consistently committing to 442 (edit: or any variation of 352), Vards lacks the technical quality to really play long term in a wide role (a la Salah / Mane) in a 433 (plus his movement would be wasted out wide) and Jovic is very much a central player. Plus, strikers are always, always, always at their best when they're given a good solid run of games and not constantly chopped and swapped in and out in a rotation system.

As much as Vardy is a legend there's no room for sentiment in football, Leicester as a club must come first and before Vardy and Rodgers must have the ruthlessness to do that and I think he will as he's already proven he wasn't afraid to do the same with Gerrard. If there's a cat in hell's chance in signing someone of the calibre of Jovic you do it and let him and Vardy fight it out to be number 1 if need be.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Whilst true, the most important person in all of this is Vardy himself.

Fuchs and Wes have adapted pretty well to their new role at Leicester, they're happy to retire here, they're comfortable seeing their playing time reduced and supporting young players at the club.

Vardy obviously doesn't need to have his playing time so immediately reduced but it'll be impossible to replace him with a long-term successor without his co-operation to an extent because we cannot just sign someone and bench him until Vards is ready to stop. Neither Iheanacho or Slimani were ever really going to be as good as Vardy for us, I don't believe, but both would almost certainly have had better careers at this club if Vardy hadn't been here. 

We're never going to sign a player of the calibre of Jovic if Vards isn't going to accept taking a lesser role at the club with a view to the future, I don't see Rodgers ever consistently committing to 442 (edit: or any variation of 352), Vards lacks the technical quality to really play long term in a wide role (a la Salah / Mane) in a 433 (plus his movement would be wasted out wide) and Jovic is very much a central player. Plus, strikers are always, always, always at their best when they're given a good solid run of games and not constantly chopped and swapped in and out in a rotation system.

I don’t necessarily agree with this. Anyone coming in at this point knows that Vardy probably has one season left tops. So for a 22 year old like Jovic he’d back himself to take the shirt at some point. 

Especially with the extra European games.    Most strikers wouldn’t coorperste for their transition out as it’s not in their nature. He may actually be releived that some pressure is removed from his shoulders

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I don’t necessarily agree with this. Anyone coming in at this point knows that Vardy probably has one season left tops. So for a 22 year old like Jovic he’d back himself to take the shirt at some point. 

Especially with the extra European games.    Most strikers wouldn’t coorperste for their transition out as it’s not in their nature. He may actually be releived that some pressure is removed from his shoulders

Twenty two isn't all that young in football anymore, twenty two year olds don't see themselves as apprentice footballers waiting for their chance, a quality player of Jovic age expects to be playing. He doesn't want to bide his time, especially at a club of our stature. 

If he comes here, the expectation will be that he's coming to be the man. 

• Like 2

Would be an excellent signing as long as he comes with his head in the game and willing to put a shift in.

Trouble could be does he come with baggage, 22 and had a season at Real Madrid probably living like a King with the model GF etc, would he come in expecting?

If Arsenal serious about wanting him he probably goes there and if he does have that baggage then he’ll fit right in there and not with us.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Now saying potentially a loan move - £35m as an option to buy could be a good deal. 

I think that's a far more sensible option given the impact the Pandemic will have on the fiances of the team, plus his character in general.

He's one of those players though where coming to Leicester would be a really sensible career move. He can play in a super competitive league and get regular games without pressure. Going to Real Madrid always seemed like a big gamble from them, he was supposed to be the heir to Benzema's throne but the difference is that when they signed Benzema, he was already starring for Lyon who were dominating the French league and a force in the Champions League. Eintracht Frankfurt had a good run in the Europa league but were not quite of the same calibre and that kind of move was too big a move, too soon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I’d still rather we went for Eduoard tbh, if we go for a striker.

Jovic isn’t gonna come here willing to bide his time and Vardy’s got a couple seasons left yet. Think Eduoard would be better as a player to transition into the squad. 

The only way I’d want Jovic is if we are gonna persist with two up front, and even then he’s gonna have to perform very well to displace Nacho to partner Vardy. 

You've obviously seen more of him than I have but I don't think he'd have much to do in displacing Nacho, again only from what I've seen but he's look good as an impact sub now and again but when he's started matches he's looked by and large disappointing and not someone I'd trust to start regularly, I'd still be very surprised if he ever becomes a regular at Leicester.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

You've obviously seen more of him than I have but I don't think he'd have much to do in displacing Nacho, again only from what I've seen but he's look good as an impact sub now and again but when he's started matches he's looked by and large disappointing and not someone I'd trust to start regularly, I'd still be very surprised if he ever becomes a regular at Leicester.

Nacho has actually really come a long way this season and is finally showing that potential. Rogers has really given him confidence and consistency. He's scored some key goals and looks strong on the ball. I always feel he's going to be positive or turn his man at the moment. I'm pretty sure his stats in the prem are 5 goals and 3 assists in 17 games which isn't bad considering he's second fiddle to Vardy. It's 10 goals and 4 assists in 23 appearances in all competitions which is a good return. 

• Like 3

Jovic coming here would be a bad move for him to be honest. He should pick a club without a top scorer in the league, it hasn't worked out for him this season and probably wouldn't next season. If Arsenal sell Lacazette and Aubameyang that would be a good move for him. Or Everton to partner Calvert-Lewin, he does well with a strike partner

13 minutes ago, srex9 said:

Nacho has actually really come a long way this season and is finally showing that potential. Rogers has really given him confidence and consistency. He's scored some key goals and looks strong on the ball. I always feel he's going to be positive or turn his man at the moment. I'm pretty sure his stats in the prem are 5 goals and 3 assists in 17 games which isn't bad considering he's second fiddle to Vardy. It's 10 goals and 4 assists in 23 appearances in all competitions which is a good return. 

I agree he's been better this season I just think the games I've saw him when he's been given the chance to start, to stake a real claim he's disappointed, I just don't see him ever being good enough to be a first choice striker at a club harbouring ambitions to be at least playing in Europe every season, let alone the champions league.

The thing about Kelechi is that he can succeed in something like a hybrid withdrawn striker/#10 role. He’s also decent at holdup play and a good finisher. He has a bit of the jack of all trades, master of none to him that makes him an idea “extra” forward on a roster.  Harsh on him, but the reality.  An up-front trio of Vardy, Jovic and Kelechi would be balanced and versatile, and one way or another there’s no way both Vardy and Jovic would still be with the club in two years anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

I agree he's been better this season I just think the games I've saw him when he's been given the chance to start, to stake a real claim he's disappointed, I just don't see him ever being good enough to be a first choice striker at a club harbouring ambitions to be at least playing in Europe every season, let alone the champions league.

Yeah I'd agree with that but then I guess we wont truly know until he gets a consistent run of games. Which seems to be happening now but as a partner to Vards. If he keeps improving he looks like he could be a good successor. Obviously no one will ever be Vardy, and we've been blessed having him. And if Nacho doesnt keep improving i doubt he'll be happy to stay and be second choice forever. Contrary to rumours I'm not sure we'll go for Eduoard this summer based on Nachos current form.