Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

Agree with that. Think Celtic are kidding themselves and hold a grudge against Rodgers these days. Aside from King Martin O'Neill years they've been consistently poor/average in Europe every year.   

I think for your highest paid manager in your history, with the highest wage bill in your history you can expect slightly better than record home and away defeats in Europe and losing to a team of part time players from Gibraltar. Like I said, it's not just Celtic, he struggled against some absolutely average teams when he took Liverpool into Europe too.

His biggest fault (for me) is that he seems more reactionary when we're winning / have an advantage than when we're down or something clearly needs changing. I don't even think it's stubbornness. Needs to be more proactive with changing things when we're not at it and not have a flappy arse hole when we're winning - I simply don't trust his sides to hold onto leads 90% of the time.

It’s easy to try and draw parallels on stubbornness, but I’d actually argue that largely, he’s been too negative against the better teams. 

The final game against United was fair enough, given the state of the team that we put out but we rolled over for them at Old Trafford. The Spurs away defeat was naive, but he had little other choice. 

Liverpool at home we got trounced, but in the away games at Anfield and the Etihad we sat extremely deep. 

3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

I understand the worry and I can’t say I don’t share one or two. But to put things in to perspective, we’ve achieved our second greatest finish of the modern era, achieved European football and only six months ago posters were honestly claiming to enjoy both the team and the results more than in our premier league win. Things can change quickly. Turning against him before a ball has been kicked this season doesn’t seem productive for the team, the players or the club.

To be fair to myself I wasn't one of those claiming the team was better than the one that won the title.  Although I do remember making posts saying he was been good as a manager, and I still stand by those posts, there was a clear change to how he managed the team between the first and second part of the season, he wasn't the same manager at the end.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2020 at 16:40, Lambert09 said:

I do think Brendan is a really good manager. But I just can’t warm to him as a person at all. His utter arrogance drives me crazy, which coincidentally is his downfall as a manager.

If he was a bit more humble and accepted his mistakes and tried to improve on them, he would genuinely be one of the best in the game. 

I really see so many similarities with Puel. 

My exact feelings on him.

11 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers produced some truly embarrassing results in Eurooe. His European record is awful. I genuinely believe if we made it to CL we would get humiliated 6-0 and 7-0 by PSG/Bayern/Liverpool like Celtic did (notwithstanding the quality of players we have compared to Celtic). If we get a semi difficult Europa League group I wouldn't be surprised if we took a massive L and finished 3rd. 

Rodgers is a decent manager but he is overrated and definitely overpaid.

Can completely see us tanking against someone like Basel and then getting walloped by someone like Villarreal.

I cannot take us drawing Celtic. If there's a god we don't draw Celtic.

I do think Brendan is a really good manager. But I just can’t warm to him as a person at all. His utter arrogance drives me crazy, which coincidentally is his downfall as a manager.

If he was a bit more humble and accepted his mistakes and tried to improve on them, he would genuinely be one of the best in the game. 

This + I just don’t trust him.

His European record would be hilarious if he wasn't our manager. 

Some of the horrific results he managed to achieve with Liverpool are not to be underestimated. 

He shits his pants against the bigger clubs and underestimates the small clubs (see last 6 months here) 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Sadly there aren't that many managers who openly admit their mistakes that often, to do so seems to mean they have less mental strength and belief in their methods. However, the ones that do seem to be the managers who fans can really understand. 

10 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s easy to try and draw parallels on stubbornness, but I’d actually argue that largely, he’s been too negative against the better teams. 

The final game against United was fair enough, given the state of the team that we put out but we rolled over for them at Old Trafford. The Spurs away defeat was naive, but he had little other choice. 

Liverpool at home we got trounced, but in the away games at Anfield and the Etihad we sat extremely deep. 

Think of the Arsenal game though as well, where we were getting tonked and overrun initially - largely down to the suicidal way we had set up. Then when they were reduced to 10 and had momentum building - for me Rodgers was too slow to supplement that from the bench, leaving us with a creditable draw but one where I felt witha bolder strategy a win would have been very achievable. 

• Like 1

Think that sums it up for me as well. When you're Sir Alex Ferguson you can afford to be arrogant but, when you're Brendan Rodgers and comparatively, have never won anything to be arrogant about, perhaps a bit of humble pie and self examination might not go amiss on occasions. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

On 04/09/2020 at 08:49, UHDrive said:

I'm surprised he's getting so many negative comments.

BR doesn't have to love the club like most prem managers but when you see him on the touchline when we score a goal then that's all we as city fans need to know in terms of his winning mentality.

As for his arrogance I'd take that as him being driven to get the best out of his team and frankly I'd take that as a good sign. We've seen many managers over the years who have just sat on their pay cheques and left their teams to be run solely by their assistant managers and coaches. When I look at BR and his pedigree with big teams and the experience that brings then I can't help but be disappointed by comment's on here like there has been.

He hasn’t got a pedigree with big teams. He got sacked by big team Liverpool and my Labrador could have won the league with big team Celtic such was his competition 🤣

20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He hasn’t got a pedigree with big teams. He got sacked by big team Liverpool and my Labrador could have won the league with big team Celtic such was his competition 🤣

You can dress it up in various ways.

At Liverpool he inherited nothing more than a mid-table squad with one quality player and dragged them into a title race they probably would've won if not for rotten luck. It went to shite when he fell out with the board over signings.

At Celtic he made them invincible domestically in his first season, drastically improved the professionalism of the operation, delivered 7 trophies out of 7, and got them into the CL more often than Deila managed at least. Celtic fans admit it has gone to shit without him and they are basically back to being a pub team with Lennon now, barring a few decent players.

His CV looks good here on paper too. We were mid-table under Puel, we finished 5th in his first full season despite selling an £80m defender. Two cup runs in there too.

The next three months are make or break for his managerial career, IMO. If he f**** it up and we have to sack him, his next job is no better than us, and he's probably missed the boat on ever returning to a top six job. 

I've got no doubts we will be fine, though, and will have a good season. He can't afford otherwise from a career perspective.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jeffschlupp said:

You can dress it up in various ways.

At Liverpool he inherited nothing more than a mid-table squad with one quality player and dragged them into a title race they probably would've won if not for rotten luck. It went to shite when he fell out with the board over signings.

At Celtic he made them invincible domestically in his first season, drastically improved the professionalism of the operation, delivered 7 trophies out of 7, and got them into the CL more often than Deila managed at least. Celtic fans admit it has gone to shit without him and they are basically back to being a pub team with Lennon now, barring a few decent players.

His CV looks good here on paper too. We were mid-table under Puel, we finished 5th in his first full season despite selling an £80m defender. Two cup runs in there too.

The next three months are make or break for his managerial career, IMO. If he f**** it up and we have to sack him, his next job is no better than us, and he's probably missed the boat on ever returning to a top six job. 

I've got no doubts we will be fine, though, and will have a good season. He can't afford otherwise from a career perspective.

yeah, suarez, sterling, prime sturridge, gerrard , coutinho. i'm surprised he didn't finish 13th with his awful liverpool team. lol 

• Like 1

My biggest worry is that he can't stop the bad form we had from january onwards and end up starting the new season in the same manner.

Especially with only one new signing. He said in an interview a while back we needed to freshen things up and that hasn't really happened as of yet.

Start the season poorly and it could be hard to turn around. 

20 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

yeah, suarez, sterling, prime sturridge, gerrard , coutinho. i'm surprised he didn't finish 13th with his awful liverpool team. lol 

Gerrard was 32 and coming off the back of his worst season for injuries in his career. He got him fit again and added three years onto his career by moving him deeper into the midfield into the Pirlo role.

Coutinho and Sturridge were signed under his tenure, Sterling was a 17 year old with three senior appearances when he took the job.

It was nothing more than a mid-table squad under Hodgson and then Dalglish and that shows because they finished 8th when Dalglish was eventually sacked.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Gerrard was 32 and coming off the back of his worst season for injuries in his career. He got him fit again and added three years onto his career by moving him deeper into the midfield into the Pirlo role.

Coutinho and Sturridge were signed under his tenure, Sterling was a 17 year old with three senior appearances when he took the job.

It was nothing more than a mid-table squad under Hodgson and then Dalglish and that shows because they finished 8th when Dalglish was eventually sacked.

fair enough. i don't agree he inherited a mid table side with a prime suarez in there lol 

• Thanks 1