Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

The fact is we’ve improved under him having hardly spent anything.

If we are to join the elite it will take time. The infrastructure is there and the new training facilities will only improve us further.

We do have an exciting young squad which with a few additions will make us challengers for the top 4/6 next season 

Nothing wrong with him managing expectations as the last thing a young squad needs is the feeling that they’ve already made it 

Great post. Out of reps for today but I totally agree. 

With our game style, transfer dealings with high end selling fees and our development through EL and then hopefully regularly top 7/6 place finishes then you could consider us the equivalent of Sevilla 5-10 years ago with their development strategies. I can see us hopefully achieve this.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This half a season nose dive is a huge concern though, any improvements have been absent since Christmas and unless he can kick start us again it's irrelevant. 

That some people either hand-wave or genuinely don't see it, is what maddens me.

• Like 2

the collapse has been very concerning

he is a great coach and showed that in his first 6 months, but the slide needs to be arrested come the start of next season. 

The bournemouth away performance meant the team had to chase the win on the final day , that will sadly live long in the memory for the manner of the collapse against a team relegated two weeks later. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrecociousFox93 said:

Agreed.

Personally I think winning 9-0 was the worst thing that happened to us, players performances went downhill from there & Rodgers was linked with Arsenal. He hasn’t been the same since

..I agree with the aftermath of the Southampton victory!!!

I believe the next game was at Burton where we totally overplayed with the ball, making Passes that were not on, with a Hollywood performance. There were a hatful of goals left out on the pitch, all because we overplayed it.

Arsenal I believe was next and once again we could not find our rythym as we overplayed the ball once again, leaving a potential hiding to Arsenal out on the pitch.

The Southampton game from start to finish was disciplined, we played the right balls at the right time and with Rodgers orchestrating on the sidelines we kept the same mentality, just doing the right things.

I suspect Rodgers believed we could play ourselves back into form but it hasn't happened and it is noticeable as soon as we are on top and leading in a game, the passing begin to be Hollywoodesque instead of keeping it simple and doing the right thing.

It is all very well to have a bit of swagger, but I have noticed when we are on top and overplaying we mess up the openings and good positions created and when that carries on, this encourages the other team and we start to doubt our abilities.

It really does not matter who scores, just keep in simple.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I agree but I was encouraged by his comments yesterday about needing better creative players around Vardy. We are far too reliant on Maddison and Tielemans to create, which makes us really easy to stop. Too many players that are terrible with their final ball or shot.

Just one wide player that can beat a man AND consistently be a threat in and around the box could totally change us as a team.

Why did HE spend 30 mil on Perez who is primarily a goal threat from wide then? What's worrying to me is that he seemingly doesnt understand what he wants from players, it's almost as if at the end of last season he decided he wanted goals from out wide so he looked through players from midtable sides who played in a wide area and picked the highest one which was perez, but he didnt consider his shortcomings as a player and whether he would actually fit into our team or not. 

Him starting with maddison and perez on the wings and choudhury as an 8 makes me worry that he doesnt have a coherent vision for this squad. Would be typical if he goes out and signs fraser who had 14 assists last year but did so by spamming crosses like albrighton which clearly doesnt work in this team. I am very worried for this upcoming transfer window.

• Like 1

lets hope lesson one on resumption of training is "anyone fannying about with the ball  in our third or trying Cruyff turns ,I'm looking at your Kasper, will be fined a weeks wages . None of our careers can survive being made to look foolish by gimps like Lingard"

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Massive few months ahead for Rodgers, time he earnt his £10m a year. No pressure Brendan hahaha.

Annoyingly there is no pressure for him is there. If he does terribly and is sacked, he's guaranteed the best part of 40 million and he'll be able to sweet talk himself into another decent gig no problem.

He's in quite a comfortable no lose situation at the moment, it makes you wonder if that's why we've seen a shift in performance levels since his new deal. I'm not saying he's consciously not trying, but aside from the very very elite people in the world, it's easy to subconsciously let things slip when you're in a comfortable position

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..I agree with the aftermath of the Southampton victory!!!

I believe the next game was at Burton where we totally overplayed with the ball, making Passes that were not on, with a Hollywood performance. There were a hatful of goals left out on the pitch, all because we overplayed it.

Arsenal I believe was next and once again we could not find our rythym as we overplayed the ball once again, leaving a potential hiding to Arsenal out on the pitch.

The Southampton game from start to finish was disciplined, we played the right balls at the right time and with Rodgers orchestrating on the sidelines we kept the same mentality, just doing the right things.

I suspect Rodgers believed we could play ourselves back into form but it hasn't happened and it is noticeable as soon as we are on top and leading in a game, the passing begin to be Hollywoodesque instead of keeping it simple and doing the right thing.

It is all very well to have a bit of swagger, but I have noticed when we are on top and overplaying we mess up the openings and good positions created and when that carries on, this encourages the other team and we start to doubt our abilities.

It really does not matter who scores, just keep in simple.

That’s what I’m getting at. Of course winning 9-0 is unreal, but I feel it went to the players heads too much which made us all get a bit too high expectations. Overplaying thinking we were bigger and better than we are and then taking a HUGE confidence battering when Liverpool and TAA annihialated us at the KP (when we were seen as the second best team in the league).

The Southampton 9-0, Rodgers to Arsenal rumours and being smashed by the top two sides in the league somehow played a big detrimental part in our season. 

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Annoyingly there is no pressure for him is there. If he does terribly and is sacked, he's guaranteed the best part of 40 million and he'll be able to sweet talk himself into another decent gig no problem.

He's in quite a comfortable no lose situation at the moment, it makes you wonder if that's why we've seen a shift in performance levels since his new deal. I'm not saying he's consciously not trying, but aside from the very very elite people in the world, it's easy to subconsciously let things slip when you're in a comfortable position

It has crossed my mind also, I just hoped his ego and desire to prove he is one of the best would have prevented this malaise but maybe not.

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

I agree but I was encouraged by his comments yesterday about needing better creative players around Vardy. We are far too reliant on Maddison and Tielemans to create, which makes us really easy to stop. Too many players that are terrible with their final ball or shot.

Just one wide player that can beat a man AND consistently be a threat in and around the box could totally change us as a team.

Definitely mate. Perez was obviously brought in to score goals out from wide but he has no threat on the ball whatsoever. 

We don’t have the resources to compete according to the man that’s paid more than every manager except Mourinho and Pep.

Does anyone really think Top, Whelan and co are going to be impressed with this woe is me Attitude given how much they Invested in getting him to the club as well as bringing in his best mate Congleton.

If we wanted negativity we might as well have stuck with Puel it would have saved us a few quid

2 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

He can count himself lucky there was no crowds at the games.

There would have been uproar at the ground at losing such a lead.

If the crowds come back and we're still struggling a lot of anger is going to come to the surface. 

Then again we might have done better with a bit of support there ...   might have made all the difference to some of our younger players .. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricey said:

If he started claiming that we are now part of the top 6/7 and will be competing with the likes of Manchester United he'd be called deluded.

I think he changed his tone towards the end of the season to try and relieve some of the pressure and paint us as underdogs.

He's not a fraud. He's not perfect and we hope he'll learn from this season, but I can't stand fans that label managers frauds the minute things start to go badly.

But this so called top 6/7 is just a phrase to support the bigger clubs, yet that combination is always changing. Arsenal just finished 8th, actually finished below, not could finish, have - it is confirmed they're the 8th best team in the league but they will still be classed in this top 6/big 6 bracket and city fans are deluded for saying we can't compete? We have and although I understand every team could point to their own problems, many of the games we have dropped points in, the performances haven't been acceptable based on the same standard the same players had set. 

Why can't we say we're better than them right now? why down play it long term? Most city fans are realistic. If Rodgers came out when we were on our great run and said ''oh we are still a young team, one game at a time, we don't have a big squad'' etc etc then most would accept that. Likewise they would accept losing to teams like Norwich if he came out and took some ownership. 

He was only interested in playing the underdog card when he was part of blowing it, he was lapping it up before then when really we needed a Ranieri type ''one game at a time'' approach that would've kept people grounded and actually might have got us over the line with a more balanced season rather than extreme highs then lows.

• Like 2

Get the feeling that if he wants to become an elite Manager then he might need to focus on Managing with the sole aim of winning games. He clearly is an elite Coach but I also get the feeling he's too close to the players as he's so hands on with everything. Prefer the Martin O'Neill model where the players might not see him for a few days and didn't need to keep the training field atmosphere harmonious for the want of a good bollocking once in a while. Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Edited by l444ry

How anyone can seriously think replacing the manager is a good idea I'll never know.

The title season has sadly now thrown open the doors to complete lunacy. People almost now believe that winning the league was somehow just our natural curve in progression, almost a non surprise?

We just stayed up the season before and started that season as favourites to go down after appointing Ranieri! What happened was a dream, we'll never fathom it out but the experience was incredible. We recruited poorly thereafter and lost our world class players. Surely that in itself tells you our limitations? 

Weve endured 12th and 9th place finishes since. Managers have been hounded out as the newly created City expectation drives the narrative that if weve won it once, we should be challenging again. 

We had no time to evolve, grow, progress. Was literally BAM!! League won - now what...

We never recovered from that and yet now it appears the accumulation of a talented young squad is not enough for many.  

YES WE SACRIFICED A TOP 4 POSITION. Get over it, I for one am looking forward to seeing if this time we can ADD to our quality, continue consolidating as a good Prem side and chipping away at the elite.

Rodgers deserves acknowledgement of his part in this period, both good and bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Personally I think 5th is about right. 

Our best 9 is right up there,.elite level. The next 6/7 players are lower mid table. It's difficult to do better than that for a squad. 

And I don't want to beat ourselves too.much about the second half of the season. Up until December absolutely everything went our way. Lucky breaks v Burnley, Wolves, Everton, Brighton penalty.retake, Spurs...

Second half of the season that evened itself out at Burnley, Norwich, Watford, Villa semi second leg....all.EASILY could have gone our way but instead nothing would quite go our way. Vardy out. Then Wilf out. Then the break with Ricardo gone and losing Madders, Cags and Chilwell and backup in even Fuchs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

He can count himself lucky there was no crowds at the games.

There would have been uproar at the ground at losing such a lead.

If the crowds come back and we're still struggling a lot of anger is going to come to the surface. 

Well bar the Brighton game, up to yesterday we'd won our 2 other home games convincingly so how would we have voiced our displeasure?

• Haha 1

You look at the tri-fwd lines of liverpool, man city and yanited.. 

We dont have that. Most of the chelseavpkater would be first choices in our team.  This is where we are.

I have said it and said it. WE MUST NOT SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS TO OTHER ENGLISH TEAMS

We  must not support the idea of a gap.  Our players have to know that there are better off here...

Edited by foxinsocks

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Well bar the Brighton game, up to yesterday we'd won our 2 other home games convincingly so how would we have voiced our displeasure?

Haha man I love these posts where they don’t check the actual facts before posting drivel 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I wouldn't mind doing okay in Europe and finishing on 50 odd points, just want the football to be more incisive and for it not to be 40 points one half of the season and 15 the other, bit more balance and desire. 

...top six is now the minimum!!!

We are not going to start downplaying our club for the sake of a European excursion.

This club needs to focus on making the top 4, we start aiming low and that's where we are going to end up.