Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...top six is now the minimum!!!

We are not going to start downplaying our club for the sake of a European excursion.

This club needs to focus on making the top 4, we start aiming low and that's where we are going to end up.

Group stages of the Europa League and a 12th place finish incoming.

At least we'll have a shiny notepad and pen.

18 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

You can't sack him.  Not now, not with that contract.

But the question is, what do you do if the first half of next season is progressing like the second half of this one?  Rodgers' track record is clear - he's never been able to turn it around once things started to go off the rails for an extended period.

It would be gardening leave if the club feels they need to replace him after a bad start.

Gardening leave means he just gets paid as normal until he finds a new job or contract expires.  Avoids the need for lump sum compensation.

Edited by Chrysalis

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

It would be gardening leave if the club feels they need to replace him after a bad start.

Gardening leave means he just gets paid as normal until he finds a new job or contract expires.  Avoids the need for lump sum compensation.

he would be entitled to be paid what we owe him .....he could decide to just sit and do nothing for two years, collecting his wages.  the likelihood is that he would do a deal with us, allowing him to take another job in time, but it would certainly cost us a lot of money. 

I would be very surprised if he isn’t our manager a year from now .....

4 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I agree with @Corky that the Europa League will be massive for the club/Brendan, but not what he or we should be judged by.

We should aim to improve year on year, so for me the targets next season are: more than 62 points and a cup final, while getting out of the group stages in Europe.

What?! Can't you see that's reasonable? 

That kind of talk won't wash here

CL qualification and a domestic cup or I'll be raging

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, Sly said:

25/1 to be the next Barcelona Manager.

I think it was Tim Sherwood that stated he’d manage them or Real Madrid hadn’t slipped over. 

Just keeping the seat warm for Xavi so what would be the point.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ, just reading through this thread and it's reminded me how utterly awful we were for the last 15 or so games of the season. Hopefully our form doesn't carry on into the new season and I would like a slight change in mentality from Rodgers, we shouldn't be happy and content with where we are, we should always be striving and pushing to obtain more points than the previous season. According to all the Celtic fans, he didn't set them up favourably in European cup ties either, so I'm eager to see how we get on in our first one.

12 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Jesus Christ, just reading through this thread and it's reminded me how utterly awful we were for the last 15 or so games of the season. Hopefully our form doesn't carry on into the new season and I would like a slight change in mentality from Rodgers, we shouldn't be happy and content with where we are, we should always be striving and pushing to obtain more points than the previous season. According to all the Celtic fans, he didn't set them up favourably in European cup ties either, so I'm eager to see how we get on in our first one.

Think Celtic's problem with lack of progress in Europe is more to do with the quality of players they have than Rodgers or more recently Lennon.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, l444ry said:

Think Celtic's problem with lack of progress in Europe is more to do with the quality of players they have than Rodgers or more recently Lennon.  

Oh that definitely plays a part don't get me wrong, but a couple of Celtic lads told me he used to stick square pegs in round holes and then would never admit he got the personnel or formation wrong.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, l444ry said:

...just by looking at the Celtic Roster, even prior to Tierney going to Arsenal they have good players!!!

It is hard to get to the level you need, to compete in Europe, when week in and week out you are not meeting that quality of teams, and tactically is where both managers fall short. 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just by looking at the Celtic Roster, even prior to Tierney going to Arsenal they have good players!!!

It is hard to get to the level you need, to compete in Europe, when week in and week out you are not meeting that quality of teams, and tactically is where both managers fall short. 

Agree with that. Think Celtic are kidding themselves and hold a grudge against Rodgers these days. Aside from King Martin O'Neill years they've been consistently poor/average in Europe every year.   

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

What worries me is that form normally carries on to the following season. Good or bad. Reminds me of when we stopped up and carried on with that form with the title winning season. Looking at our fixtures we really need to get off to a decent start. I just don’t see Rodgers lasting the season. Hope I’m wrong. 

Not lasting the season ? A manager of his pedigree at a middling club , who would you expect to take over - an other Dave Basset ?

On 27/07/2020 at 23:22, Bourbon Fox said:

What?! Can't you see that's reasonable? 

That kind of talk won't wash here

CL qualification and a domestic cup or I'll be raging

How can you get so drunk in Bourbon..??

Edited by fuchsntf

I understand the worry and I can’t say I don’t share one or two. But to put things in to perspective, we’ve achieved our second greatest finish of the modern era, achieved European football and only six months ago posters were honestly claiming to enjoy both the team and the results more than in our premier league win. Things can change quickly. Turning against him before a ball has been kicked this season doesn’t seem productive for the team, the players or the club.

• Like 2

I think the Castagne signing should relax a lot of people with regard to the rumours of disagreements between manager and board. We know Castagne is a long-time Congerton and Rodgers target and to back them by delivering him is a huge vote of confidence. That doesn't necessarily mean BR is the right man in the long-term because I don't think we work in that sense at the moment.

The people bashing Rodgers are the same ones that bashed Puel, they don't understand that each manager is/was perfect for where we were and where we want to go. There was a time we outgrew Pearson, a time we outgrew Ranieri. Puel made the transition from hoofball team to modern day top half possession side; but did so at the cost of losing dressing room support by binning off past-it favourites, and getting average short term results. Rodgers has added the latest footballing trends - a high pressing front three and playing out from the back - while bringing senior players back on side and bringing on the group of excellent young players we have into a more coherent setup.

His results were initially good but time will tell if they return to similarly satisfactory levels. I'm now convinced we may need another step up in the next 12-18 months, a manager with a decorated CV, a winner who can bury the weak mentalities of a few of this bunch. Someone like Ancelotti or Benitez will probably need to be our next move.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jerry said:

Not lasting the season ? A manager of his pedigree at a middling club , who would you expect to take over - an other Dave Basset ?

You say his pedigree tell me what he’s won other than being at Celtic. Imo he’s overrated. Clueless on a bad run. Lots of better managers out there. Cost us too much to get rid of him. Just think we’re destined for a bottom half finish with him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Koke said:

Rodgers produced some truly embarrassing results in Eurooe. His European record is awful. I genuinely believe if we made it to CL we would get humiliated 6-0 and 7-0 by PSG/Bayern/Liverpool like Celtic did (notwithstanding the quality of players we have compared to Celtic). If we get a semi difficult Europa League group I wouldn't be surprised if we took a massive L and finished 3rd. 

Rodgers is a decent manager but he is overrated and definitely overpaid.

A trifling irrelevance.