Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

21 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

So if it doesn't work out and BR gets the heave ho, we need a manager who can have us regularly challenging the top six (or top four according to the more excitable fans) AND be quality in Europe ... is that right?
And then this fella has to want to come to Leicester.

Sounds easy on paper.

I remember when Charlton got rid of curbishley because they had got bored of just staying in the top flight and felt that he wasn't the right man 'to take them into Europe'. Ambition is great, but you have to have time to develop.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

So if it doesn't work out and BR gets the heave ho, we need a manager who can have us regularly challenging the top six (or top four according to the more excitable fans) AND be quality in Europe ... is that right?
And then this fella has to want to come to Leicester.

Sounds easy on paper.

In an ideal world yes but particularly.

My (and I’m sure many other people’s) issues are largely the same things I complained about when Puel was here.

The main difference is we can understand Rodgers.

It astounds me how much of a free ride Rodgers gets compared to the staunch Puel our brigade, I’m no Puel fan, I made that clear but I really don’t see a lot of difference. (Tbh our recruitment seemed better under Puel, albeit a mixed bag)

I’m not calling for him to be sacked and I’m certainly not saying I wish we hadn’t sacked Puel but I am asking him to change things, I question whether can or will change things.

Edited by Matt

3 hours ago, ozleicester said:

They gave Pep $$ and time = results

They gave Klopp $$ and time = results

They are both good managers though.

I'm not saying Rodger's isn't, although my opinion on him isn't solid either way, but you can't just chuck money at any manager and it work. The right manager needs the money. Look at how we chucked money at Sven and didn't even touch top 6. Money doesn't guarantee anything but money plus a good manager works.

• Like 1

I’ve been a fan of Rodgers for quite a long time, I like the style of football his teams try playing. At Swansea he did a fantastic job slick football and great results. Liverpool again he did a good job getting them close to a title, playing quality football. Eventually the wheels fell off and he was sacked. At Celtic he was fantastic and I thought he has all the skills we need in a manager promoting youth and attractive football. However I am now a little concerned we may have got it wrong,   When Arsenal were linked with him only a few months after joining us he played us and got a bumper new contact. 

He is one of Europe’s highest paid manager’s now and has to show us all the value of his new deal. I think it was a mistake giving him the new deal and if he wanted out so soon after joining us we should have let him go rather than double his money.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They are both good managers though.

I'm not saying Rodger's isn't, although my opinion on him isn't solid either way, but you can't just chuck money at any manager and it work. The right manager needs the money. Look at how we chucked money at Sven and didn't even touch top 6. Money doesn't guarantee anything but money plus a good manager works.

Agreed, but i think Rodgers is a good manager.

I think he is a manger, equal to us as a club, and if he is given time and appropriate money, he will produce success that is also equal to our expectations and goals

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Agreed, but i think Rodgers is a good manager.

I think he is a manger, equal to us as a club, and if he is given time and appropriate money, he will produce success that is also equal to our expectations and goals

Of course he is a good Manager, Time is the key though.He want's to build a team playing his system and that's fine. The problem is his system is flawed in that he refuses to compromise and so far has a real shortage of a physical presence. 

I think the Club has to invest 3 or 4 years in him just as they should have done with Puel who was doing a similar job to Brendan.

Brendan needs to be aware of how that ended and so h needs to keep us competitive while introducing change.

41 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So long as we don't plummet down the league and look a relegation candidate, he'll get the time and money also. You can't ignore things if we have another 3 or 4 months the same as the end of last season, as we'd be on course for getting relegated. 

There is an argument for taking the season as a whole, but we can't ignore the utter shambles of the end of the season. 

We can blame Rodgers about the shambles towards the end of the season out but the players need to take some of the responsibility, we can all agree now that Chilwells head was turned, lots of injuries to key players and a young team still learning the game yet we still finished 5th.

He didn't do that bad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

So long as we don't plummet down the league and look a relegation candidate, he'll get the time and money also. You can't ignore things if we have another 3 or 4 months the same as the end of last season, as we'd be on course for getting relegated. 

There is an argument for taking the season as a whole, but we can't ignore the utter shambles of the end of the season. 

I hope that I'm wrong and might well be, but this if the first time since the 2017 slump under Ranieri when I've had a bit of concern that we might end up in a relegation struggle.

It shouldn't happen, as our players and manager should be too good. 

But issues seem to be mounting up:

- Poor form during the 2nd half of last season

- Key players still not back from injury

- 3-match suspension for our most experienced 1st choice defender, who now seems to have injury niggles, too

- Little strengthening of first-team squad (just Castagne in, Chilwell out, isn't it, when the squad was already a bit threadbare?)

- Congested fixture schedule in autumn

Hopefully, we'll muddle through some tricky early weeks, get the likes of Evans, Ricardo & Maddison back & buy in at least 2-3 first team contenders (centre back & winger the priorities).....then upwards and onwards.

But Brendan's going to have his work cut out in the coming weeks. I think that I'd settle for being mid-table at the end of October, given our various issues.

Where's that Optimistic Bus? I need to buy a ticket again, don't I?

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He didn’t, I’m sure he’s had issues to deal with. But I do feel like his negativity and over thinking of games contributed in the team losing confidence in itself. Then he showed literally nothing when we needed to turn it round, that’s my biggest concern.

yup I probably agree with that to be honest there have been times where he's tried something different and it hasn't worked so there is room for improvement definitely.

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I hope that I'm wrong and might well be, but this if the first time since the 2017 slump under Ranieri when I've had a bit of concern that we might end up in a relegation struggle.

- 3-match suspension for our most experienced 1st choice defender, who now seems to have injury niggles, too

- Little strengthening of first-team squad (just Castagne in, Chilwell out, isn't it, when the squad was already a bit threadbare?)

Hopefully, we'll muddle through some tricky early weeks, get the likes of Evans, Ricardo & Maddison back & buy in at least 2-3 first team contenders (centre back & winger the priorities).....then upwards and onwards.

But Brendan's going to have his work cut out in the coming weeks. I think that I'd settle for being mid-table at the end of October, given our various issues.

Kinda summed it up there, Alf. 

I've avoided posting about it so far as there's enough negativity, but I'm really struggling to shake the bad feeling about this season. Last season showed we're very consistent: either consistently brilliant, or consistently dogsh*t. We haven't done enough to improve the squad in the transfer market (yet!) and the injury issues are worrying to say the least.

A bad start, and I fear for us, TBH.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Kinda summed it up there, Alf. 

I've avoided posting about it so far as there's enough negativity, but I'm really struggling to shake the bad feeling about this season. Last season showed we're very consistent: either consistently brilliant, or consistently dogsh*t. We haven't done enough to improve the squad in the transfer market (yet!) and the injury issues are worrying to say the least.

A bad start, and I fear for us, TBH.

Yes. I'm not even complaining about anything that's been done wrong.

You're right to say "yet" about transfers, as there are a number of weeks left and plenty of other clubs haven't done much business - And every club gets a cluster of injuries eventually or the odd suspension or run of bad form.

It's just that we seem to have got the whole lot at once....just after a long run of bad form and before we've been able to refresh the squad.

I mean, what's our defence going to be for these first 3 matches? Justin-Morgan-Soyuncu-Castagne? A novice, a great who's past his best, a top player with 1 season behind him & a debutant?

Who'll be in reserve if any of them gets injured? Benkovic seems injury-prone, Amartey is returning from a long absence, Thomas is another novice.....otherwise, we might be switching the likes of Ndidi or Albrighton into defence.....

We'll probably win 4-0 at the Hawthorns now, won't we?! :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I wish people would stop saying we had a bad end to the season. Didn't know December was near the end of the season 

Such a fallacy it was "after lockdown". It started Norwich H in December.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

And the Belgians could miss anything from 1-3 weeks...

Looks like Leicester fans prefer to start their New Covid-LCFC-supporting Life in the pessemistic & negative vane...:ill:

Me..!!  I'll prefer to Stay an Happy clapper,,,and all starts with a Clean sheet. I am a Strong bup...I only expect One thing,

That this forum will actually prefer to go into meltdown, than encourage the their own team at the start of the new campaign....

A sportsman,wipes the Slate clean,gets up and starts again...failures or success Account for nothing from yesterday.

But the experiences are collected & one hopes, with new learned Skill Sets and maturity ,that life  gives one a new chance/or shot at your lifes choice...

Whether your name is Messi, de Bryun , or Leshabela...

Vardy, Maddison and Chilwell were nowhere near consistent enough from December onwards. N'Didi and Ricky P were both very unfortunate with injuries in 2020 as well.

Given that post-December we barely played with our best XI, it's no wonder things started going south. It completely exposed the lack of depth in the squad. I don't think the team's form is symptomatic of Rodgers', it's more an inditement on just how thin the squad became once key names were either injured or playing shite. 

• Like 1

We were the most unfortunate team with how the postponement played out.

Losing Ricardo and then injuries to others along with Soyuncu left us exposed with games in a short space of time. I would hope that the timing might be better for us this time around until Europa League at least.

That said the signs don't look promising for the season ahead. The collapse seems like it will be an overhang like it was for Rodgers at Liverpool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tetly said:

I’ve been a fan of Rodgers for quite a long time, I like the style of football his teams try playing. At Swansea he did a fantastic job slick football and great results. Liverpool again he did a good job getting them close to a title, playing quality football. Eventually the wheels fell off and he was sacked. At Celtic he was fantastic and I thought he has all the skills we need in a manager promoting youth and attractive football. However I am now a little concerned we may have got it wrong,   When Arsenal were linked with him only a few months after joining us he played us and got a bumper new contact. 

He is one of Europe’s highest paid manager’s now and has to show us all the value of his new deal. I think it was a mistake giving him the new deal and if he wanted out so soon after joining us we should have let him go rather than double his money.

Where did you get this info that he wanted out so soon for a shitty Arsenal Job. Or that he used the job to twist our arms into a new contract......... Or is it that he was looked at as being a talented Manager/coach that the club wanted to reward and show some faith in.

I don't have a problem with your opinion. Just that you think Arsenal had anything to do with it.