Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Demarai Gray

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Not sure, but I assumed he was more a Riyad-type.

If you're planning on starting with Barnes and Under either side of Vardy, you're looking to bench options of Albrighton, Perez and Iheanacho. All three are good players and can all offer something off the bench but I'd prefer someone like Schlupp or Nathan Dyer to stretch tired defences. Perhaps that's not in Rodgers' philosophy.

I understand, in an ideal world, Dan James on loan would be lovely and I would very much like to bring in Fabian Reese as a backup/rotation (for now) for exactly the reason punishing tired legs.

12 minutes ago, SydenhamFox said:

Compare and contrast with the vision and speed of thought that an old leggy Cambiasso gave us. The latter oozed quality. You could see what he wanted to do and it was always the best option!

I hope we continue to compare all our young signings with Champions League winners who played for Inter Milan and Real Madrid. It's only fair. 

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I understand, in an ideal world, Dan James on loan would be lovely and I would very much like to bring in Fabian Reese as a backup/rotation (for now) for exactly the reason punishing tired legs.

Dan james is even worse than Gray. At least Gray was struggling in some poor sides between 2016-2019, dan james looks really poor in a good man united side.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GDesign_JRC said:

Why did this thread go hot?

Rodgers was asked about him in todays press conference and gave an answer which is now being disected to the last syllable on here but with some pretty meaty words to work on, "it’ll be whether he wants to continue in his role here, or whether he wants to be a starter" for instance, suggests that Rodgers doesn't see him as a starter and Gray knows this which not a starting point for signing a new three year contract. In short the balance of the scales has tipped towards him definitely not being here next season. As for this one?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Dan james is even worse than Gray. At least Gray was struggling in some poor sides between 2016-2019, dan james looks really poor in a good man united side.

Sometimes a change is as good as rest! But yes, so far, Dan James has not looked anything but fast.

For me, the most frustrating thing about Gray was that when he arrived and was just having small cameos, obviously the ability was there but it really was his maturity and decision making that impressed me and made me think he could really be more than just a decent winger.

I sympathise with his confidence being knocked and not being given enough consistent runs in the team but that maturity to his game just completely disappeared.

Shame but he's got to leave and try and find regular first team football because we also need better.

From what BR has said there, I think he’s on his way out. If so, I can see us signing another winger. If Barnes or Ünder get injured then we’re a bit short - unless we change formation. Got a lot of love for Mark Albrighton, but he’s not the answer anymore. 

Edited by PNM
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PNM said:

From what BR has said there, I think he’s on his way out. If so, I can see us signing another winger. If Barnes or Ünder get injured then we’re a bit short - unless we change formation. Got a lot of love for Mark Albrighton, but he’s not the answer anymore. 

Agreed, imagine we will try to shift Gray and reinvest in another wide player. Would love Buendia. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Agreed, imagine we will try to shift Gray and reinvest in another wide player. Would love Buendia. 

Although it may be more pertinent to get another CB first (After Fofana or Tah) but I do quite like Buendia

54 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Think we may lack a little bit of pace in the wide options if Demarai goes - we only really have Barnes who has the lightning turn of pace, and if he's starting every week you miss that ability to change a game off the bench with real speed.

But he is the obvious one to let go if we have too many bodies up top, particularly if we want to add a striker/additional winger too.

Ünder is rapid and Barnes seems to get quicker each season.

• Like 4

Just now, PNM said:

From what BR has said there, I think he’s on his way out. If so, I can see us signing another winger. If Barnes or Ünder get injured then we’re a bit short - unless we change formation. Got a lot of love for Mark Albrighton but he’s not the answer anymore. 

Albrighton is a great squad option though, and you know he is happy to play 20-30 games a season and not necessarily be a consistent starter. There will always be a few places in any squad for a player like him and he will make a difference in many games. Don't forget his inspired performance against Sevilla in the Champions league either - he's still capable of games like that.  His work rate, industry and attitude are all top notch and that is useful. He probably won't get another contract but I think he will here until it runs out because he is of value to us.

Cengiz Under is younger than Gray and I think will massively highlight the difference between what Gray is and where he should be. Under is not the finished article yet either, but has way more going for him in terms of end product, which is where Gray has always fallen short. Gray also can't have any complaints IMO, Puel made him first choice to replace Mahrez and Ghezall was only signed as an experienced option instead of as a like for like replacement. Chilwell took his chance and became an England international, Gray fluffed his lines.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Albrighton is a great squad option though, and you know he is happy to play 20-30 games a season and not necessarily be a consistent starter. There will always be a few places in any squad for a player like him and he will make a difference in many games. Don't forget his inspired performance against Sevilla in the Champions league either - he's still capable of games like that.  His work rate, industry and attitude are all top notch and that is useful. He probably won't get another contract but I think he will here until it runs out because he is of value to us.

Cengiz Under is younger than Gray and I think will massively highlight the difference between what Gray is and where he should be. Under is not the finished article yet either, but has way more going for him in terms of end product, which is where Gray has always fallen short. Gray also can't have any complaints IMO, Puel made him first choice to replace Mahrez and Ghezall was only signed as an experienced option instead of as a like for like replacement. Chilwell took his chance and became an England international, Gray fluffed his lines.

Oh I totally agree that he has a place in the squad. I wouldn’t want the club to move him on at all. My point is that given the number of games we have, we would need an additional option. 

• Like 1

Just now, blue blood said:

so how much do we think we can get for him? £18m upfront with another £7m in installments/add-ons?

Maybe if he had two years left on his deal. I'd be looking for £8-10m plus a cheeky sell on percentage. Don't let him go for free, either give him a deal or sell asap.

Also see Under as his direct replacement, we won't be after another winger so it'll be one in, one out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Based on what? Not sure where people get this from to be honest? He's obviously well liked by a number of players?

Someone who works at the club. He’s liked by the other players because he’s a nice guy, but he’s a lousy trainer who’s often late. Rodgers doesn’t rate him either, so he won’t every succeed here, it’s now time for him to go.

1 minute ago, Jaspa said:

Maybe if he had two years left on his deal. I'd be looking for £8-10m plus a cheeky sell on percentage. Don't let him go for free, either give him a deal or sell asap.

Also see Under as his direct replacement, we won't be after another winger so it'll be one in, one out.

The 1 year left will bring his price down for sure, I guess interest this year all depends on how desperate other clubs are to buy.  He will be an upgrade for about 10 of the teams in this league.

Gray kicked off when he wasn’t being selected for the team in 2016/17 even when the wide players ahead of him had just won the league. Mahrez leaving was his big opportunity to make a starting slot his own, but he’s never really taken it. 

I get the feeling that he’ll run his contract down and expect lots of clubs to be in for him. One or two might, but they probably won’t be higher end PL clubs.

He’s got enough talent to make you think he could still come good one day. I, personally, lost patience some time ago and just think he needs a new challenge. He’s not good enough for a top six side, which is where we finished last season and, therefore, not good enough for us if we want to try and get there again. 

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ünder is rapid and Barnes seems to get quicker each season.

This is something I just find so interesting . I remember when Barnes was coming through and going out on loan lot of people saying he was skilful but lacked any pace but he’s just seems to be getting quicker and quicker . Now I know your  bodies develop  with age but he just seems to be rapid compared to what he was . 

• Like 1