Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

32 minutes ago, filbertway said:

If they can't tell he's onside with no lines then they need to sacked. Terrible.

Bin the whole thing.

Oh yeah he absolutely looks onside but the broadcast angles are often pretty misleading, which I guess is the point of the lines in the first place. I don't disagree at all the the current system is woefully inadequate and the people responsible for operating it aren't up to it, but sacking it off would mean more of these particular situations (i.e. the TV images show the player visibly/clearly onside but he's given off anyway) not fewer.

26 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

But they did the lines to the wrong player ..

I don't think that's what happened - they didn't draw a line to the attacking player at all because they didn't have the angle to do so. The line they drew is to Vestergaard, not Bartley.

12 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

West Brom have suddenly worked out how to win a game of football and their playing like a different team, scoring for fun.

Feel really sorry for whichever poor team plays them next in the league...

My worry is that they'd park the bus, which they may still do.

A bit more confidence from them may leave them more open.

1 minute ago, Guest said:

Oh yeah he absolutely looks onside but the broadcast angles are often pretty misleading, which I guess is the point of the lines in the first place. I don't disagree at all the the current system is woefully inadequate and the people responsible for operating it aren't up to it, but sacking it off would mean more of these particular situations (i.e. the TV images show the player visibly/clearly onside but he's given off anyway) not fewer.

Having had referee mistakes pre and post VAR. I'd rather go back to human error. Purely as I miss being able to celebrate a goal.

The joy that it's taking out of the game is much bigger than the "benefit" of the game. For me anyway

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Having had referee mistakes pre and post VAR. I'd rather go back to human error. Purely as I miss being able to celebrate a goal.

The joy that it's taking out of the game is much bigger than the "benefit" of the game. For me anyway

Yep I'm with you on that. I was massively in favour of it being brought in, and I still am in favour of the principle of using technology to help officials get decisions right, but the current implementation is so poor. Like you say, it takes away much more than it adds. 

• Like 4

Thought they were meant to keep the flag down for tight calls? It would have been a goal then if they went on-field.

Not saying its easy, but the officiating is so inconsistent you don't even know where you stand with some decisions. 

8 minutes ago, Guest said:

I don't think that's what happened - they didn't draw a line to the attacking player at all because they didn't have the angle to do so. The line they drew is to Vestergaard, not Bartley.

Not sure - only going by what has been said by others.

Honest mistake in real time by the assistant not corrected by the VAR?

Just now, Super_horns said:

Not sure - only going by what has been said by others.

Honest mistake in real time by the assistant not corrected by the VAR?

My understanding is lino flagged, VAR went to check and get the lines out but there wasn't an angle from which they could draw a clear line to the attacker in question as he was obscured by a teammate and a defender. Thus they couldn't provide a definite conclusion either way so stuck with lino's decision. He definitely looked onside from the angles we saw on TV.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'd gladly try and get Pereira in summer if West Brom go down.

I think he would be a great buy. I have seen him play a few times, and he really stands out. Wonder what his value would be?  

15 minutes ago, Guest said:

My understanding is lino flagged, VAR went to check and get the lines out but there wasn't an angle from which they could draw a clear line to the attacker in question as he was obscured by a teammate and a defender. Thus they couldn't provide a definite conclusion either way so stuck with lino's decision. He definitely looked onside from the angles we saw on TV.

Surely if they couldn’t  see any of the goal scorer behind the attacker then he’s onside.

24 minutes ago, Guest said:

Well i suppose in someways that is a good idea if it's not clear and obvious but then we see so many decisions changed which aren't/

1 minute ago, fox_up_north said:

Surely Southampton won't be this crap come the weekend? 

Of course not - they just have't bothered trying today saving themselves for Sunday.