Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

12 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

Defo West Ham win after a draw, probably silly to keep writing them off but still see Chelsea and Liverpool as the biggest threats.

Just need to do the biz on Monday and then whatever happens between the two is a positive.

At the end of the day we are in full control. We can afford to lose one, probably two games and still finish Top 4 (and that's with everyone else maximising points). If we keep winning, the other teams can do what they want.

I think West Ham will stay close but with the injuries, they may just drop off that bit now. Chelsea have lots of games to play (2 more than us at least). Football is hard to predict. Liverpool should be capable of winning most of their games but again, they are also capable of dropping points unexpectedly.

If we keep doing our thing like we have done for 32 games, we will stay in Top 4.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Ray Parlour having an absolute mare on Talksport, accusing Robbie Lyle that he wants his team to lose. 

TalkSport have made a living off the back of Arsenal underachieving for a decade and now they criticise others of benefitting from the same thing.

32 minutes ago, Corky said:

TalkSport have made a living off the back of Arsenal underachieving for a decade and now they criticise others of benefitting from the same thing.

"Another defeat for West Ham. What does that mean for your manager? Is he up to it? West Ham fans, do you want Moyes out? Call in 0870......"  

Premier League: Who qualifies for Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League?

Tottenham have the chance to clinch a European place this weekend by beating Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final - but it will not be in the Europa League.

The EFL Cup winners, as of this season, will go into the Europa Conference League (UECL), Uefa's new third-tier tournament - at the play-off phase, the round before the group stage.

That is, unless they have already qualified for Europe through the league, with City guaranteed a Champions League spot already.

Who else can qualify for Europe this season - and is it possible fourth place will not be enough for a Champions League place?

Let us explain...

Who will qualify for the Champions League?

The top four in the Premier League usually qualify for the Champions League group stages - but this season it is quite conceivable that fourth place will not be enough.

The winners of the Champions League and Europa League automatically qualify for the Champions League group stages - and there can only be a maximum of five English teams in Europe's top competition.

So if Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal win the Europa League (both are in the semi-finals) - and both finish outside the top four (as is very possible) - they will be joined in the Champions League by the top three in the Premier League.

That would mean fourth place would only be enough for a Europa League group spot next season.

England does not get any extra Champions League places if English teams win both European tournaments and finish in the top four in the Premier League.

Who qualifies for the Europa League?

This season there are only two Europa League spots, because of the introduction of the Europa Conference League (more on that in a bit).

That is the winner of the FA Cup (Chelsea and Leicester play in the final) and the team which finishes fifth in the Premier League. If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five, then sixth place qualifies for the Europa League.

Only 32 teams are in the Europa League group stages from now on, down from 48 in previous years.

England could end up with only one team in the competition if an English team win a European tournament and also qualify for the Europa League through domestic football.

Who qualifies for Europa Conference League?

The Europa Conference League is Uefa's new third-ranked competition, effectively a step down from the Europa League.

The winners of the Carabao Cup qualify for the play-offs - unless they qualify for the Champions League or Europa League through their league place or by winning another cup.

If Manchester City win the Carabao Cup - or Spurs do and finish in a European place in the Premier League - then sixth or seventh place in the Premier League (depending on who wins the FA Cup) will go into the Europa Conference League.

There could be no English teams in the tournament if the team who finish in the UECL position win this season's Champions League or Europe League.

How many English teams qualify for Europe?

Seven Premier League teams qualify for Europe - but in theory, it could be eight or nine if English teams win one or both European tournaments without qualifying for Europe through domestic football.

But if an English team win a European tournament - and qualify for one through domestic football - it does not free up a European space for another English team.

It could also mean instead of four Champions League teams, two in the Europa League and one in the Europa Conference League, the number of teams in each of those tournaments could change.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 3

Not sure why anyone wants Chelsea to win.  Of all the teams in the mix, they are the most likely to catch and pass us.

I do not want to play the FA Cup final thinking that the league game against Chelsea is even bigger.

Keep at arms length at all costs imo.

Draw for me - both are 6 points behind us then if we beat Palace, both with inferior goal differences. I can't see both Chelsea and Arsenal winning their respective European competitions, but it would be just our luck to finish 4th and then that happens. So, ideally keep both as far away from 3rd as possible. A Chelsea victory would be better than a West Ham one, I think, should there be a winner as if they finish 3rd or 4th it's irrelevant regarding European competitions, 

16 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Draw for me - both are 6 points behind us then if we beat Palace, both with inferior goal differences. I can't see both Chelsea and Arsenal winning their respective European competitions, but it would be just our luck to finish 4th and then that happens. So, ideally keep both as far away from 3rd as possible. A Chelsea victory would be better than a West Ham one, I think, should there be a winner as if they finish 3rd or 4th it's irrelevant regarding European competitions, 

It's so tight and the permutations are ridiculous.  Of course, if we keep winning our games then it doesn't matter.

Wanting Chelsea to win though, so that they finish top 4, just in case they win the Champions League (they won't) AND Arsenal win the Europa League (they won't) is bonkers!

Spurs only have 5 games to play and would need to win all of them to stand a chance.  West Ham's injuries are significant and have occurred at the wrong time of the season for them.

I believe Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool will finish 3rd, 4th and 5th, but I don't know the order.  But I do know that I want Chelsea and Liverpool to lose as many points as possible.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Not sure why anyone wants Chelsea to win.  Of all the teams in the mix, they are the most likely to catch and pass us.

I do not want to play the FA Cup final thinking that the league game against Chelsea is even bigger.

Keep at arms length at all costs imo.

Because one team winning means the other drops points (1 point). Chelsea has a much better goal difference. So if you think Chelsea are the better team in the chasing pack then you'd want them to win because it provides us that extra point (arguable two points, given we have a good goal difference). Not that I like to look at the league like this. Better for us to concentrate on winning all games possible and look up the table not down. But that would be a reason. 

I'm glad we're playing the FA cup before facing them in the league. It's a one off game and I don't think we'll have an eye on the league. Plus they're basically playing mid week games as well from now to then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nnfox said:

It's so tight and the permutations are ridiculous.  Of course, if we keep winning our games then it doesn't matter.

Wanting Chelsea to win though, so that they finish top 4, just in case they win the Champions League (they won't) AND Arsenal win the Europa League (they won't) is bonkers!

Spurs only have 5 games to play and would need to win all of them to stand a chance.  West Ham's injuries are significant and have occurred at the wrong time of the season for them.

I believe Leicester, Chelsea and Liverpool will finish 3rd, 4th and 5th, but I don't know the order.  But I do know that I want Chelsea and Liverpool to lose as many points as possible.

So what do you really want? :dunno:

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Premier League: Who qualifies for Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League?

Tottenham have the chance to clinch a European place this weekend by beating Manchester City in the Carabao Cup final - but it will not be in the Europa League.

The EFL Cup winners, as of this season, will go into the Europa Conference League (UECL), Uefa's new third-tier tournament - at the play-off phase, the round before the group stage.

That is, unless they have already qualified for Europe through the league, with City guaranteed a Champions League spot already.

Who else can qualify for Europe this season - and is it possible fourth place will not be enough for a Champions League place?

Let us explain...

Who will qualify for the Champions League?

The top four in the Premier League usually qualify for the Champions League group stages - but this season it is quite conceivable that fourth place will not be enough.

The winners of the Champions League and Europa League automatically qualify for the Champions League group stages - and there can only be a maximum of five English teams in Europe's top competition.

So if Chelsea win the Champions League and Arsenal win the Europa League (both are in the semi-finals) - and both finish outside the top four (as is very possible) - they will be joined in the Champions League by the top three in the Premier League.

That would mean fourth place would only be enough for a Europa League group spot next season.

England does not get any extra Champions League places if English teams win both European tournaments and finish in the top four in the Premier League.

Who qualifies for the Europa League?

This season there are only two Europa League spots, because of the introduction of the Europa Conference League (more on that in a bit).

That is the winner of the FA Cup (Chelsea and Leicester play in the final) and the team which finishes fifth in the Premier League. If the FA Cup winners finish in the top five, then sixth place qualifies for the Europa League.

Only 32 teams are in the Europa League group stages from now on, down from 48 in previous years.

England could end up with only one team in the competition if an English team win a European tournament and also qualify for the Europa League through domestic football.

Who qualifies for Europa Conference League?

The Europa Conference League is Uefa's new third-ranked competition, effectively a step down from the Europa League.

The winners of the Carabao Cup qualify for the play-offs - unless they qualify for the Champions League or Europa League through their league place or by winning another cup.

If Manchester City win the Carabao Cup - or Spurs do and finish in a European place in the Premier League - then sixth or seventh place in the Premier League (depending on who wins the FA Cup) will go into the Europa Conference League.

There could be no English teams in the tournament if the team who finish in the UECL position win this season's Champions League or Europe League.

How many English teams qualify for Europe?

Seven Premier League teams qualify for Europe - but in theory, it could be eight or nine if English teams win one or both European tournaments without qualifying for Europe through domestic football.

But if an English team win a European tournament - and qualify for one through domestic football - it does not free up a European space for another English team.

It could also mean instead of four Champions League teams, two in the Europa League and one in the Europa Conference League, the number of teams in each of those tournaments could change.

Brain kaleidoscope without symmetrical patterns or colour

13 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Anyone watching this snooze fest between “ one of Europe’s top dozen clubs” Arsenal and “ we’re doing a Leicester this season “ Everton . Absolute shite 

I fell asleep but back now. Dire ain’t it from both teams!! 

13 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Anyone watching this snooze fest between “ one of Europe’s top dozen clubs” Arsenal and “ we’re doing a Leicester this season “ Everton . Absolute shite 

VAR livened it up for a bit !

Sounds like it wasn’t a foul and of course you had the old tight offside rule they keep giving which is frustrating but they will say is consistent.

16 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Absolutely rubbish, I always say it Everton will never take the step up, and Arteta’s  Arsenal so so poor,