Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Proper journalists will ask questions without fear of being banned.

But there's ways and means of doing it.

Sometimes you have to go in hard but often you can probe without looking like you have an agenda.

Nigel Pearson, for example, would never have an issue with a tough question if put in the right way and I think most managers are similar.

Of course some reporters will avoid controversial topics to avoid being banned but they're conning their employers (and readers/listeners/viewers) IMHO.

Because you're not Ian Stringer...

Sorry Strings.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Corky said:

On the Puel situation, do you think he'd have been better speaking through an interpreter? 

Bielsa and Pochettino both felt comfortable that way, Puel (and others) didn't.

I appreciated that he made the effort to speak English in the media and to the players, so fair play to Puel for that.

Was told the club were concerned about the way he came across (to media and players) and offered extra English help but he declined.

I think maybe using an interpreter more would've helped. Often his answers would be 2,3,4 minutes and made little sense.

5 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I appreciated that he made the effort to speak English in the media and to the players, so fair play to Puel for that.

Was told the club were concerned about the way he came across (to media and players) and offered extra English help but he declined.

I think maybe using an interpreter more would've helped. Often his answers would be 2,3,4 minutes and made little sense.

Too Puel for school 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Not sure where to start with such a steaming pile of crap.

Journalists challenge and ask difficult questions all the time. But we usually pick our fights.

I've asked difficult questions of all the LCFC managers. It's a tad insulting to suggest otherwise.

On the subject of Puel (who you raised, not me) I challenged him plenty of times. He was often dismissive of questions about about runs of poor results and his future as manager, almost as if he couldn't believe he'd been asked such a thing, and gave minute upon minute of mumbling, largely incoherent waffle.

Plenty of journalists have been banned because they've written stories or asked questions the clubs / managers / players don't like.

So not intending to offend @AjcW but you're talking out your backside.

My point was that you’d never say something like “pretty hard to defend how terrible that was for the 6th game in a row, the fans are clearly fed up, what do you have to say” instead it would be carefully crafted or just eased in or alluded to, like “sadly another defeat here today, what do you think went wrong?”.

Journalists, even ones who are fans of the club like yourself, will never ask a question in the same way even a highly intellectual fan would ask if they got the chance to, that’s all I was saying... not that you don’t try to ask tough questions, just that it’s the same format week in week out.

That’s why pre and post match interviews on tv are boring... and the second they get remotely interesting someone like Klopp will throw a wobbler and end it... far too much protection for managers and players but it’s born out of years of journalists agreeing not to speak in a way that appears a confrontational. 

Like you say at the end “plenty have been banned” that’s not right... but it’s accepted and it creates the diluted environment you work in and we have to read about/listen to.

7 minutes ago, AjcW said:

My point was that you’d never say something like “pretty hard to defend how terrible that was for the 6th game in a row, the fans are clearly fed up, what do you have to say” instead it would be carefully crafted or just eased in or alluded to, like “sadly another defeat here today, what do you think went wrong?”.

I'm a fan of LCFC but when asking questions I do it as a journalist hence why we don't ask Qs like that. It's not a fans forum. Pearson hated reporters hiding behind "The fans are saying such and such" etc. He wanted journalists to be journalists.

Also, if you're abrasive when asking questions (in football, politics is different) you don't usually get the best responses. Pat Murphy being aggressive with NP just got a straight bat to every one, the manager played a blinder, he schooled Murphy superbly.

I agree that clubs are tighter now on content. They want to save stuff for themselves.

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

That’s why pre and post match interviews on tv are boring... and the second they get remotely interesting someone like Klopp will throw a wobbler and end it... far too much protection for managers and players but it’s born out of years of journalists agreeing not to speak in a way that appears a confrontational. 

I don't think they're much different from how it's always been.

Yes some managers throw a wobbler now and again but most will front it up if asked correctly.

Political interviews are often confrontational. Not sure football needs to be.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

There are midweek fixtures after the Newcastle game and before the final as well though.

I didn't realised there was mid week fixtures but we still have an extra day. They have a tricky game against Arsenal on the Wednesday then us 3pm Saturday. Quick turn around that. 

18 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

I didn't realised there was mid week fixtures but we still have an extra day. They have a tricky game against Arsenal on the Wednesday then us 3pm Saturday. Quick turn around that. 

Yes, those last three gameweeks are all up in the air as to when they take place due to government potentially allowing fans back in.

I think the latest plan was that the fixtures on the weekend of the 15th May move into the midweek after (18th/19th May) and the midweek fixtures from 11th/12th May move to the weekend of 15th May (but for us and Chelsea we would obviously have to play them another time, likely 11th/12th May and pull those two games forward, no real room in the calendar otherwise).

So it seems pretty nailed on that we play the midweek before the cup final but Chelsea will be in the same position.

Don't forget of course that Chelsea also have two CL ties to drop in which we don't have to worry about. In which they will have to go full strength.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AjcW said:

Journalists, even ones who are fans of the club like yourself, will never ask a question in the same way even a highly intellectual fan would ask if they got the chance to, that’s all I was saying... not that you don’t try to ask tough questions, just that it’s the same format week in week out.

Like you say at the end “plenty have been banned” that’s not right... but it’s accepted and it creates the diluted environment you work in and we have to read about/listen to.

How many press conferences have you sat in?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm a fan of LCFC but when asking questions I do it as a journalist hence why we don't ask Qs like that. It's not a fans forum. Pearson hated reporters hiding behind "The fans are saying such and such" etc. He wanted journalists to be journalists.

Also, if you're abrasive when asking questions (in football, politics is different) you don't usually get the best responses. Pat Murphy being aggressive with NP just got a straight bat to every one, the manager played a blinder, he schooled Murphy superbly.

I agree that clubs are tighter now on content. They want to save stuff for themselves.

I don't think they're much different from how it's always been.

Yes some managers throw a wobbler now and again but most will front it up if asked correctly.

Political interviews are often confrontational. Not sure football needs to be.

Fair enough, I think your responses do a good job of proving my point that a lot of what we hear/see is very diluted because of the politics involved.

One excellent example for me was John Percy the other week, excellent at his job and I love reading his stuff, but he made a really snide joke about Eddie Howe on twitter the other day (a very funny one too lol) but I doubt he'd dare have ever said to Eddie in a press conference something about how he'd lost 80% of his recent games.

It's just that two faced side of it that annoys me, don't hide behind twitter and forums, you've got a platform so if you've got an opinion then voice it..... the fans would appreciate it. 

But equally I very much understand why you all dont, because there's a set status quo and that's just how it is. 

Interesting to see and thread of what went / is on . Not sure how accurate though?

They have exchanged views with Ole apparently.

Edited by Fox92

You got to hand it to Rashford. He's a real all round good'un!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56825700

Marcus Rashford's budget cookery serves up fish finger sandwich

By Sean Coughlan
BBC News family and education correspondent

Published
16 hours ago
media captionMarcus Rashford talks BBC Breakfast's Sally Nugent through his kitchen adventures

Marcus Rashford might be a world-class athlete, but he can still see the value in a fish finger sandwich.

That's one of the cheap and simple recipe ideas in a project the footballer is launching to help families cook "pocket friendly" meals.

With chef Tom Kerridge, the England and Manchester United footballer and food poverty campaigner is going to share the basics of making meals.

Mr Rashford said he wanted to make sure no-one "goes to bed hungry".

No kitchen gadgets

The free recipes and online video lessons from this Full Time project will be available each week on Instagram and on recipe cards in supermarkets, schools and food banks.

They are aimed at families on a tight budget, but also who might have limited time and no expensive kitchen gadgets or little knowledge of cooking.

"This is like learning to ride a bike. This is right at the beginning with stabilisers, this is peeling carrots, peeling potatoes, dicing onions," said Mr Kerridge.

The celebrity chef, who runs a Michelin-starred restaurant, is ready to raise his game with a recipe for the "ultimate fish finger sandwich".

"It is one of the first things I learned to cook as a 14-year-old. My mum was at a second job and I would cook tea for my brother, who was 11 years old," said Mr Kerridge.

There will be a recipe for spaghetti bolognese - which Mr Rashford said was one of his favourite meals.

Tom Kerridge
image captionTom Kerridge wants to give people the confidence to learn to cook

The other contender for top food experience, the footballer said, was his grandmother's cooking. "It was the best Caribbean food ever - I've just never tasted it again. I've been to Caribbean shops, but it's just not the same."

There will be 52 budget recipes, with online tutorials, including chicken satay stir fry, chicken pie and broccoli and cauliflower cheese, with Mr Kerridge showing the Manchester United player how to cook.

It's about healthy eating, but in a non-preachy and unpretentious way.

Learning from scratch

"A lot of young people are afraid of mistakes," said Mr Rashford - who is volunteering his own lack of culinary skills to show it's fine to learn something completely from scratch.

While the footballing world has been convulsed this week by accusations of greed, Mr Rashford is still pursuing his campaign against food poverty.

"Is it fair if people go hungry? No, it's not fair. Whether it's a child or an adult, it doesn't change the fact that it's unfair if somebody goes to sleep without eating a meal," he said, in a Zoom call.

fish fingers
image captionAn "ultimate fish finger sandwich" is promised from the weekly recipes

If people are sceptical about whether families are really going hungry, he says they should "go and do some research and even meet people that are struggling".

Mr Rashford has been on his own journey with his food campaigns, which he says has shown him the pressures on families.

"There was a mother and two boys - and the mother was ill with Covid," he said of a family he had come across in London.

"And so the 12-year-old was going around his community and washing windows and washing cars for a few pounds, until he had enough to go to the shops and get a meal to put in the microwave, so that his mother and little brother could eat."

Too hungry to learn

Mr Rashford said as a child he liked to spend time with his mother when she was cooking, sitting on a stool in the kitchen.

"Anything I learned in the house it was from my mum… I'd always watch her cooking. I'd sit there and just have a nosy basically."

Marcus Rashford
image captionOn a Zoom call, Marcus Rashford talked of spending time with his mum when she was cooking

But not being able to afford food was part of the hardship in his own family growing up.

"I remember sometimes at school I'd fall asleep. I just hadn't eaten food and I wasn't awake, so sometimes I'd literally just fall asleep. So I can see how it has an effect on the ability to learn and their ability to concentrate in class."

Free school meals should be extended through the next summer holidays, he said - and he wanted to encourage the take-up of "healthy start" vouchers available to low-income families with young children.

When he was young, Mr Rashford's own family used food banks and he was on free school meals - and he wanted to challenge any embarrassment.

"I wanted to get rid of that stigma, because it's the most silly thing I've ever heard," he said. "If you're in need of something - the help is there is there to be used."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Chelsea win, draw or West ham win tomorrow? What do you want?

Has to be a draw. I'd rather both drop 2 points than one gain 3. It also put more pressure on them both battling it out with the rest for 4th spot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Draw or Chelsea win for me. Feel Chelsea are still the more likely of the 2 to get top 4 so gives us a bigger gap on Wham

Draw ideal but then I think West Ham win next best result. We have the better goal difference over them. To be fair, someone will drop points so it is almost a win-win for us.

I think it will be West Ham 1-2 Chelsea.

• Like 1

draw would be ideal but a WHU win would put added pressure on Chelsea who i see ultimately as the bigger threat. would prefer the penultimate game not to be a "six pointer" which could leave us sweating on some sort of result on the last day.

On 21/04/2021 at 22:41, Corky said:

On the Puel situation, do you think he'd have been better speaking through an interpreter? 

Bielsa and Pochettino both felt comfortable that way, Puel (and others) didn't.

Probably would have preferred it through a medium....

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Draw ideal but then I think West Ham win next best result. We have the better goal difference over them. To be fair, someone will drop points so it is almost a win-win for us.

I think it will be West Ham 1-2 Chelsea.

Defo West Ham win after a draw, probably silly to keep writing them off but still see Chelsea and Liverpool as the biggest threats.

Just need to do the biz on Monday and then whatever happens between the two is a positive.

• Like 1