Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

20 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

After this one. Their run in is still the kindest of the bunch and 67 is a feasible total for them.

We need to match that, but today has at least brought my own fears of needing 69 points down a peg. Win one and scrape a draw and we're set.

The Chelsea game in the league is the one we should now be talking about as far as our own destiny goes right now. That is massive. A six-pointer which would all but seal our place in the Champion's League if we win it. I'm actually more nervous for that game than the cup final now.

67 might not be enough if Liverpool win 3 and draw at Man U. 

I keep thinking that if only we'd won the last 2 games UCL qualification would be as good as done. 

Trying to tell myself we would rather play against a team that attacks us, rather than another low block.

Just now, weller54 said:

1 poxy point from Southampton and Newcastle!!.

Absolutely horrendous and top bottling job! 🤬🤬

Whilst I agree with you, Chelsea probably say the same with their 2 points from both WBA games and Brighton at home and 

Liverpool their 2 points from Burnley, Newcastle and WBA at home. It's a strange season with lots still to play for.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Whilst I agree with you, Chelsea probably say the same with their 2 points from both WBA games and Brighton at home and 

Liverpool their 2 points from Burnley, Newcastle and WBA at home. It's a strange season with lots still to play for.

Ridiculously sensible post.... Mods

• Haha 2

United can pretty much single handely stop Liverpool from getting in the champions league. Lose to us and beat them and its done, I know they would never throw a game but the temptation must be huge now they are guaranteed themselves. They have a horrible schedule and a cup final coming up 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

United can pretty much single handely stop Liverpool from getting in the champions league. Lose to us and beat them and its done, I know they would never throw a game but the temptation must be huge now they are guaranteed themselves. They have a horrible schedule and a cup final coming up 

It would also give us a massive boost of confidence for the FA cup final if we go to Old Trafford and win, even though it may be against a hugely weakened side.

38 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

We HAVE to smell blood on Tuesday, 1-0, 2-1 isn't good enough. We need a rampant 3-0 to put pressure on Liverpool's GD. 

Otherwise, they can pip us with 1-0 wins even if they lose to United and we lose to Chelsea. 

I’d take any kind of win against Man U can’t be picky asking for 3-0’s

7 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

That is a fair point but they didn't drop points in those games when they knew that by winning them they would be virtually homes and hosed for top 4. It's the timing of these results which makes it so frustrating. I still can't get my head around our failure to beat a team with worse form than Sheff U since Christmas and who were also down to ten men for almost the entire game. None of our immediate rivals would have passed up that opportunity, I'm sure.

40 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

WBA, Burnley and Palace can all be stubborn on their day. Not a done deal!

Liverpool not good against low block teams they are only good with space to attack (not unlike us). Hope they all end up 0-0!

17 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

I reckon that’s what they’re doing. They’re prepping to give Liverpool a spanking. United are safely in second place... I think they will rest their big guns and then go again V Liverpool. 

28 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

67 might not be enough if Liverpool win 3 and draw at Man U. 

I keep thinking that if only we'd won the last 2 games UCL qualification would be as good as done. 

Well yeah, two wins makes it certain. Their maximum haul would be 69 now, but honestly if we're going into that scenario looking at goal difference, we'd have seen off Chelsea to get to that point which would heap the pressure back onto Tuchel's lot. Like i say, that game becomes a 6-pointer to essentially cement the CL place of the victor, so it's a nervy but exciting prospect.

If we get to next week with the ability to leapfrog Chelsea with a win, that puts the impetus back with us. I'm also more skeptical of Liverpool getting a 10 point haul from their remaining fixtures than of West Ham getting 9 from 9 right now. 

Imagine the whining in the media if Man U play a weakened team against us and lose.

Meanwhile, Chelsea are praised for a brilliant performance yesterday despite playing a Man City team who had made 9 changes and appeared to be playing a bizarre 514 formation.

It is still in our hands to finish top 4 but it would be some going to win our final 3 games with the form we are in. Our performances have been pretty poor for a while and we have scraped results. Can't think of too many games where we have been really dominant. WBA and Sheff United and that's about it. Tiredness is clearly an issue as we've had half a squad for most of the season and certain players like Youri have played a ridiculous amount of games for both club and Country. Other than the Man U game, I think Liverpool will win the rest of their games. If United beat them we will need a win and a draw. If Liverpool get a draw at OT and win the rest, they will have a better gd than us meaning we would need to win 2. 

The script is written that it goes to the final day and Spurs beat us and their fans organise an open top bus tour to parade the "we stopped leicester getting champions league" trophy. 

Edited by jayfox26

I wonder what the players who won the title in 2015/16 that are still in the team are doing in order to lift the team? They need to step up and show some leadership. They are the ones who have been there and done that.