Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

So before the penalty VAR took ages drawing lines to check ASM was onside when he was quite a way onside, yet that 4th City goal, Torres was pretty much level, seemingly no check.

This is a part of VAR that has to change. It was clearly on side and the amount of time taken to draw the lines and confirm it, was embarrassing. They then went back to the penalty checking, even though they had looked at it before the offside check :frusty:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

This is a part of VAR that has to change. It was clearly on side and the amount of time taken to draw the lines and confirm it, was embarrassing. They then went back to the penalty checking, even though they had looked at it before the offside check :frusty:

Well that and this weird inconsistency with over checking some offsides and barely checking others. At times it feel like they are looking for reasons to rule out goals.

Also things like the the penalty are meant to be clear and obvious errors by the ref. Taking 4 minutes means it wasn't clear and obvious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Well that and this weird inconsistency with over checking some offsides and barely checking others. At times it feel like they are looking for reasons to rule out goals.

Also things like the the penalty are meant to be clear and obvious errors by the ref. Taking 4 minutes means it wasn't clear and obvious.

You make a good point but I think VAR do see the ref has made a clear and obvious error with the penalty. But to actually give it, the offside needs to be checked as offsides do not fall under the ‘clear and obvious’ section of VAR.

7 minutes ago, Torten said:

You make a good point but I think VAR do see the ref has made a clear and obvious error with the penalty. But to actually give it, the offside needs to be checked as offsides do not fall under the ‘clear and obvious’ section of VAR.

If they see its an obvious error, why is it taking minutes to check.

I think you miss the point I'm making about offside. Watch the highlights last night and tell me why the Newcastle check before the penalty took ages and had lines drawn all over it, yer the 4th man city goal seemed to be checked in seconds, no lines drawn.

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If they see its an obvious error, why is it taking minutes to check.

I think you miss the point I'm making about offside. Watch the highlights last night and tell me why the Newcastle check before the penalty took ages and had lines drawn all over it, yer the 4th man city goal seemed to be checked in seconds, no lines drawn.

Oh I massively agree with your last point. Son’s goal against us last season comes to mind, probably onside but not worth checking?!

For the penalty, you have to think that they’re essentially making two decisions which could contribute to the time taken. Although the ‘clear and obvious’ mandate has clearly been taken too far, I admit.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Didn't know where else to put this. 

Jake Humphrey leaving BT Sport. 

Alex Scott replacing Dan Walker on Football Focus. 

Wonder if Dan Walker is going over to BT? 

He isn't leaving BT its the last year BT have the FA cup. ITV and BBC have the right from next season. 

6 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

He isn't leaving BT its the last year BT have the FA cup. ITV and BBC have the right from next season. 

Oh right. I had no idea about that. 

This made it sound like he is leaving though... 

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Leeds hammering Burnley. Doesn't bode well for our hopes that Burnley might do us a favour against Liverpool. 

Just now, Super_horns said:

Burnley seem to be leaking goals more often than they used too.

If Pope is back I'd have more faith. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It could work in our favour, could make the hungry to bounce back? 

That's what I was going to say. They won't want to lose two in a row at home, and especially not in front of their fans. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torten said:

Oh I massively agree with your last point. Son’s goal against us last season comes to mind, probably onside but not worth checking?!

For the penalty, you have to think that they’re essentially making two decisions which could contribute to the time taken. Although the ‘clear and obvious’ mandate has clearly been taken too far, I admit.

This is the Torres goal. Sky don't show a decent angle and I've had to pause the video best I could, but you can see there's a chance he might be off. 

Screenshot_20210515-142223_YouTube.thumb.jpg.2cccfc8701821f5b14173c144f8d32db.jpg

I don't think he is by the way, but considering they got the lines of for this one, it's just weird. Either we get the lines out them all, or we give a quick glance at them all, not just do whatever they feel like.

Screenshot_20210515-142747_YouTube.thumb.jpg.a94328f9b4313b330c3910848bf7fa82.jpg

Last season there was the goal Wolves scored against us where the guy out on the wing had a heal offside. I think it was Villa Arsenal where Lacazette was offside because a defender raised their heal slightly and it meant Lacazattes planted foot was offside. The level of forensic checking that goes into looking for those offside is ridiculous. That's like they are searching for things at times to rule out goals, whilst this Man City one they are just letting go.