Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Guest Bert Fill
9 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

Can we all just agree that this is absolutely horrendous.

Yes we are grateful that our team is this good but it’s a genuinely very stressful situation 🤣

Horrendous? Absolutely not!

It is possible that Leicester City could win the FA Cup and qualify for the Champions League with a game to go.

This is dreams come true stuff - a bit better than trying to avoid relegation, or scratting about hoping we’ll put a run together and sneak into the playoffs, no?

8 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Had to turn the game off last night.  Couldn't stand carragher, souness, redknapp and the commentator spaffing over the scousers.  Tis ironic when they are supposed to be neutral. 

That's what NBCSN is for :P 

1 hour ago, Bert Fill said:

Horrendous? Absolutely not!

It is possible that Leicester City could win the FA Cup and qualify for the Champions League with a game to go.

This is dreams come true stuff - a bit better than trying to avoid relegation, or scratting about hoping we’ll put a run together and sneak into the playoffs, no?

I'm not saying it's horrendous in terms of the position we're in, it's obviously great!

It's horrendous in terms of how nerve racking the whole thing is! At least it is for me anyway. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Had to turn the game off last night.  Couldn't stand carragher, souness, redknapp and the commentator spaffing over the scousers.  Tis ironic when they are supposed to be neutral. 

Who said they are supposed to be neutral?

6 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

It's horrendous in terms of how nerve racking the whole thing is!

Same here. This season is basically coming down to two absolutely massive games over THREE days. In the greater scheme of things for sure we're doing great even if we lose every game to the end of the season. But if a fan doesn't have their nerves jangling a little over this I'd be honestly confused. Once tomorrows game is underway I'll feel better, but before kickoff I'll be bricking it. 

I think we're going to win one, lose one, draw one.

I hope Palace and Burnley park their buses and kill off Liverpool's chances for top 4. Having to hear pundits bang on about Liverpool coming back and saving their season all the while having a picture of Klopp and his sh*teating grin in the background will do my head in.

• Like 1

Liverpool won’t lose any games now I don’t think. Push comes to shove they will win them all. It’s down to us. Ultimately if we don’t qualify it’s down to a Southampton and Newcastle. It’s all or bust for Chelsea which could work. A point would be good, because I’m 100% convinced we will beat Spurs on the last day. It’s Chelsea that I worry about, full strength under Tuchel we don’t stand a chance I don’t think. 

Id be gutted if we missed out again, and there will need to be a rethink in the summer because it’s not good to do it twice, considering we’ve spent most of the last two seasons in the top four......

42 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Liverpool won’t lose any games now I don’t think. Push comes to shove they will win them all. It’s down to us. Ultimately if we don’t qualify it’s down to a Southampton and Newcastle. It’s all or bust for Chelsea which could work. A point would be good, because I’m 100% convinced we will beat Spurs on the last day. It’s Chelsea that I worry about, full strength under Tuchel we don’t stand a chance I don’t think. 

Id be gutted if we missed out again, and there will need to be a rethink in the summer because it’s not good to do it twice, considering we’ve spent most of the last two seasons in the top four......

We probably 2 points down to where we expected prior to the final run in, we won a game expected to lose but lost and drew 2 games we were expecting to win.

I agree on Liverpool, the way I see it we have to play to beat Chelsea, if we win, we in CL next season, if we draw, its still in our hands, beat spurs after draw, we in CL.  

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Draw at Stamford Bridge, beat Spurs, simple.

Not sure my nerves could take that on the final day, especially if Liverpool max out until then.

LCFC (3rd - 67 pts) vs Spurs (H)

Liverpool (4th - 66pts, better GD) vs Crystal Palace (H)

Chelsea (5th - 65pts, better GD if we draw against Spurs) vs Aston Villa (A)

Would be a very tense atmosphere at the ground I'm sure.

Really, really hope we can beat Chelsea on Tuesday - or Liverpool drop 3 points unexpectedly - so there's no pressure on that final game and we can just enjoy it again.

Edited by Xen

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Liverpool have struggled against defensive teams. Burnley and Palace play to type I don't think it's guaranteed that Liverpool will win either game. The problem is both have nothing really to play for and some players maybe have one eye already on the summer break. It'll be how Dyche and Hodgson demand they perform. 

I agree about Chelsea. Their CL games showed how far they've progressed under Tuchel. It'll come down to who takes their chances. Vardy on top form would give me more confidence but he's as bad as Werner at the moment.

14 minutes ago, shen said:

Aymeric Laporte switching from France to Spain

Imagine not giving a £57m defender playing in top European club a single cap by the age of 26.
It's got to be one of the most extraordinary snubs when it comes to national team selections.

It's all down to squad dynamic apparently. Apparently they don't really like his attitude and think he'll be a bad influence so they don't pick him. Ever. lol

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

If we lose on Tuesday but beat Spurs and still not get top 4, then our form would be 4 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats in the final 7 games. 13 points, 1.86 points per game. It would mirror the average points total that we've maintained by and large throughout the season - 69 points, 1.81 points per game.

There's a narrative that we are chucking away top 4 but it's not quite as obvious as that.  What we have done is perform ridiculously well against our rivals and then been less effective against some very ordinary teams but us to get 69 points and still not get in would be astonishing.

• Like 4

anyone that thinks burnley are just going to role over and let liverpool beat them is being foolish. Burnley, especially that they have no pressure on them will surely have a go at liverpool. Liverpool are where they are because they have struggled with teams like them. Fair enough, West Brom are probably done in terms of even trying, and Palace have a terrible record there, but Hodgson may not want to retire just yet. 

Burnley live for matches like their next one against liverpool. I remember they beat us 1 2 in 19 20 and 1 2 in 17 18, they had no pressure but they make your day hell. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shen said:

Aymeric Laporte switching from France to Spain

Imagine not giving a £57m defender playing in top European club a single cap by the age of 26.
It's got to be one of the most extraordinary snubs when it comes to national team selections.

That's because Deschamps is an idiot. Some of his team selections and player snubs have been baffling. 

45 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Liverpool have struggled against defensive teams. Burnley and Palace play to type I don't think it's guaranteed that Liverpool will win either game. The problem is both have nothing really to play for and some players maybe have one eye already on the summer break. It'll be how Dyche and Hodgson demand they perform. 

I agree about Chelsea. Their CL games showed how far they've progressed under Tuchel. It'll come down to who takes their chances. Vardy on top form would give me more confidence but he's as bad as Werner at the moment.

Palace are doing their usual ‘on the beach’ thing after surfing but this time with a lot of players and the manager all out of contract at the end of the season. Have more faith in Liverpool getting Big-Sammed.

Just can't see Liverpool failing from this position. They're playing 3 teams with nothing to left to play for and whilst Burnley and Palace can be awkward, it's a myth to suggest that they are defensively solid this season. Palace have conceded 59 goals and Burnley recently chucked away a 2 goal lead to lose at Southampton. Moreover, Liverpool know that 3 wins will seal it for them, having previously thought they were out of the running; that will be a huge motivation for them. If they do manage 3 more wins that will mean they'll have collected 26 points from 30 to overhaul us. That is the problem with trying to compete with the teams that we are now up against and shows how hard it is to get into the top 4. Man U had a similar run of form to pip us last season. Despite some poor recent results, we've actually not thrown it away in the same way as last season, as we've kept picking up points. It's just that Liverpool have gone on a crazy run.

It's going to be shame for us to miss out at the death again, but that seems likely now (certainly the bookies think so). But it's still been a great season for us in many ways, given injuries, etc. And of course we have a Cup final to look forward to and Europa League at least is secured, which is still not to be sniffed at. #puttingthingsincontext

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just can't see Liverpool failing from this position. They're playing 3 teams with nothing to left to play for and whilst Burnley and Palace can be awkward, it's a myth to suggest that they are defensively solid this season. Palace have conceded 59 goals and Burnley recently chucked away a 2 goal lead to lose at Southampton. Moreover, Liverpool know that 3 wins will seal it for them, having previously thought they were out of the running; that will be a huge motivation for them. If they do manage 3 more wins that will mean they'll have collected 26 points from 30 to overhaul us. That is the problem with trying to compete with the teams that we are now up against and shows how hard it is to get into the top 4. Man U had a similar run of form to pip us last season. Despite some poor recent results, we've actually not thrown it away in the same way as last season, as we've kept picking up points. It's just that Liverpool have gone on a crazy run.

It's going to be shame for us to miss out at the death again, but that seems likely now (certainly the bookies think so). But it's still been a great season for us in many ways, given injuries, etc. And of course we have a Cup final to look forward to and Europa League at least is secured, which is still not to be sniffed at. #puttingthingsincontext

Have I missed something?

If we beat Chelsea, or draw with them and beat Spurs, then we qualify at their expense, regardless of what Liverpool do.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Liverpool probably don't fail at this point, but its not us right now that has to worry about them. Don't lose to Chelsea and beat Spurs and it Chelsea who lose their spot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Good post. It’s easy to be so focused on us that you don’t realise what Liverpool have done to catch us. People are focused on 2 bad results but forget the hard thought victory’s along the way to get here. As Rodgers said, you always have off days, unfortunately ours came at a crucial time. 

I am not a complete pessimist but I must admit, I think this is done for us :(

38 minutes ago, Buce said:

Have I missed something?

If we beat Chelsea, or draw with them and beat Spurs, then we qualify at their expense, regardless of what Liverpool do.

You are right of course but that is a much bigger ask than we hoped/expected we would face going into the last 2 games. So what I was trying to do was (a) to recognise that it is Liverpool coming from seemingly nowhere that has created this now more precarious position for us; and (b) to demonstrate that we haven't done too much wrong even if we fail to make CL. Whatever the outcome, it will still be a good season for us, everything considered.

Edited by Sunbury Fox