Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

1 minute ago, Ian Nacho said:

Even with us getting the hardest group possible, you would still expect us to get through. 

Napoli, PSV and Hoffenheim for me would be the hardest or Napoli, Wolfsburg, Nice. Definitely in with a very good chance with either. Pot 2 in particular looks very poor, there are better teams in pot 3. 

6 hours ago, The Bear said:

I very much doubt it now. We may get past Olympiakos but the team are completely knackered apparently. I think the Chelsea game was one game too far tbh. Its been a long season for them. 

You lot have had a decent break and are one of the fittest teams in europe. With there being 1 leg per round i think youve got an ok chance of winning it.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Just imagine if we get Moscow, Astana & Luhansk! Plenty of air miles there

Are Russian and Ukraine teams allowed to play each other now? Sure there was something against it recently?

18 hours ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

I just hope Wolves get into Europe as they have totally deserved to by playing great footy over a very, very long, long season.

No. Is Lockdown sending everyone insane. Why do you want to see Wolves in Europe. 

• Like 2

When is the Europa League group stage draw and who could Leicester City face?
Everything Leicester City fans need to know about the Europa League group stages as they prepare for their return to European competition when next season starts

ByJordan Blackwell
15:55, 2 AUG 2020

After a season challenging for a Champions League spot, Leicester City had to make do with the Europa League.

But now they’re in it, they’ll be trying to win it.

So here’s a rundown of the information you need to know ahead of City’s return to Europe.

When is the draw?

The first thing City need to know is who they are playing, but it’s a while before they find out.

Because of the delay to the 20-21 season caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the group stage draw does not take place until Friday, October 2, a few days before the transfer window closes.

Before then, clubs have to come through qualifying rounds, of which there are five in total, with new teams coming in at every stage. This season, all qualifying games are one-legged affairs. It begins with the preliminary round on Thursday, August 20.

Which pot will City be in?

Having racked up a few coefficient points during their run to the Champions League quarter-finals in 2016-17, City cannot be in Pot 4.

However, it is likely they will be in Pot 3, and so will be drawn against two European regulars from Pots 1 and 2.

They could sneak into Pot 2, but they will need a handful of European rookies to make their way through the qualifying rounds.

Who could City face?

Following the Belgian Cup final on Saturday, the 17 teams guaranteed a place in the group stages have now been confirmed.

They are City, Arsenal, Villarreal, Real Sociedad, Napoli, Roma, Bayer Leverkusen, Hoffenheim, Lille, Nice, CSKA Moscow, Braga, Antwerp, Zorya Luhansk, Sivasspor, Feyenoord, and Austrian side Wolfsberger.

There’s a handful of former City players within the ranks of those teams, with midfielder Vicente Iborra at Villarreal, title-winning right-back Ritchie De Laet at Antwerp, striker Andrej Kramaric at Hoffenheim, and former loan defender Aleksandar Dragovic at Leverkusen.

Napoli could still reach the Champions League by winning this year’s tournament, while Roma and Bayer Leverkusen could get into Uefa’s top competition by winning the Europa League this month. If group stage spaces are vacated, they would be filled by Sparta Prague, and then Rijeka.

But that is only 17 of what will eventually be 48 sides in the group stage. A further 21 will come through the Europa League qualifying rounds, with another 10 transferred over if they lose in the later Champions League qualifying rounds.

Among the big names in the Europa League qualifying rounds are Sporting Lisbon, PSV Eindhoven, AEK Athens, Tottenham, AC Milan, Wolfsburg, Galatasaray, FC Copenhagen, Basel, and Rangers.

When are the games played?

The group stage matches come thick and fast to ensure they are all sorted by Christmas.

The first three games are played in back-to-back weeks, on October 22, October 29, and November 5. The final three group games are also played in quick succession, on November 26, December 3, and December 10.

If City qualify from their group, their knockout rounds will take place between February and May, with the final on Wednesday, May 26.

Are there any other changes?

There will be no Video Assistant Referees for the group stage matches, with their introduction delayed for a year. VAR officials will be used in the knockout phase though.

And should City get there, the final will now be played in Gdansk. The Polish city was originally selected to host this year’s final, with next season’s showdown in Seville, but changes to this year’s tournament means Gdansk will now play host when the last two meet next May.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/europa-league-group-stage-draw-4388101

6 hours ago, Corky said:

All British group of Leicester, Motherwell, Glentoran and Bala Town.

Derry are in the qualifying rounds too I think.

Would love a trip there.

We'll either get an erection inducing group of Napoli, Viktoria Plzen and Lille and be unable to go, or a depressing group of Basel, Astana and Hoffenheim and be able to travel to every single one before getting dumped out.

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Imagine if we got Braga, APOEL and Maccabi Tel Aviv. Heat stroke and hangovers if we could actually go.

I reckon we would need Valencia (Villarreal) or Lisbon rather than Braga. Braga is a bit too north for November. But some winter sun would certainly be welcome.

I mean I suppose just looking on a weather basis it beats Moscow, Astana and Molde mid winterlol

Edited by peach0000