Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

39 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Just thinking about the way UEFA usually structure things...

I'd assume we can't draw Braga? Usually give a rounds grace to teams from the same group right?

Then obviously we can't draw Spurs as that's not until QF stage.

I'd guess there's a couple of other locational pairings that will dictate who we could end up with also.

Probably nailed on we draw Red Star isn't it lol 

Yep we can't get Braga in round of 32.

Teams can draw any other team, including ones from same nation or same group, from round of 16 onwards. So we could face Spurs before quarter finals. 

Basically from round of 16 onwards there's no seeding or country protection. Locational pairings don't play a part (apart from Russia/Ukraine). 

• Like 1

Seeded teams

Arsenal (ENG, Group B)
Ajax (NED*)
Club Brugge (BEL*)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO, K)
Hoffenheim (GER, L)
Manchester United (ENG*)
Roma (ITA, A)
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR*)
Villarreal (ESP, I)
7 group winners TBC

Unseeded teams

Crvena zvezda (SRB, L)
Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)*
Krasnodar (RUS)*
Olympiacos (GRE)*
Salzburg (AUT)*
11 group runners-up TBC

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Why do champions league losers go into the Europa League?

4 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

Compensation for the self-entitled Mardy b@stards. Just s guess.

4 hours ago, Solihullfox said:

UEFA say that the 3rd place Europa League qualification means that group matches in the CL stay competitive down to the last round of group games rather than being dead fixtures............however the above is probably nearer the mark

My guess....money!

6 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Why do champions league losers go into the Europa League?

5 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

Compensation for the self-entitled Mardy b@stards. Just s guess.

5 hours ago, Solihullfox said:

UEFA say that the 3rd place Europa League qualification means that group matches in the CL stay competitive down to the last round of group games rather than being dead fixtures............however the above is probably nearer the mark

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

My guess....money!

Assuming you would have all happily given back the entitlement if we'd needed it in 16/17? lol 

19 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I’ve absolutely loved it mate. If there wasn’t the financial incentive I’d probably rather be in Europa.

obscure teams from places you wouldn’t normally travel to. Big fish in a smaller pond with a real chance of progressing and doing well. 

im addicted now and will be gutted if we don’t make Europe next year 

Agreed, quite like a Thursday night game too but not so much the Sunday but even that im now about used to!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

What i love is, people abuse the Europa League for being pony but look at the clubs in it in the knockout stages and even some of the ones that don't even make the knockouts and it's decent!

I don't know why it gets so much criticism. There's still plenty of quality below the Champions League and there's the incentive of a Champions League place for winning it. 

I'm really enjoying it.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Corky said:

I don't know why it gets so much criticism. There's still plenty of quality below the Champions League and there's the incentive of a Champions League place for winning it. 

I'm really enjoying it.

Me too, I think its a good competition, with some more love and care from UEFA, it could be even better.

I think it would be as big as winning the PL if we could win it, if not bigger in terms of push us to the next level.

Edited by coolhandfox
Typo

41 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

Watching Salzburg play in the champions league has me thinking they're going a long way in this tournament. They'd be first on the avoid list.

Been a fan of watching them since their CL exploits last season. Patson Daka is unbelievable, as is Dominic Szoboszlai. We'd beat them though IMO.

32 minutes ago, nnickn said:

what does this mean?

Typo, that should read 'in terms' 

But, what I mean is winning 1 big trophy can be seen as a fluke, a plucky team that got lucky. But winning the PL and a Europe trophy in the space of 5 season would change how we are viewed by the rest of Europe in my view. 

• Like 2

Think if we top the group we would love to get a Young Boys (insert joke here), Tel Aviv or Red Star. The quality is really strong in this competition though, it gets such an undeserved reputation in the UK but I'm loving our Thursday nights.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-europa-league/story/4258708/europa-league-round-of-32-draw-seedingsdateround-details

Europa League round-of-32 draw: Seedings, date, round details

3:36 PM

The draw for the round of 32 of the 2019-20 UEFA Europa League will be made at midday GMT / 7 a.m. ET on Monday, Dec. 14.

Europa League group winners and the four best third-ranked teams in the Champions League will be in one pot, with group runners-up and the other four Champions League third-placed teams in the other pot.

Teams from the same national association cannot face each other, nor can teams who played each other in the group stage of this season's Europa League. Team dropping down from the UCL can be drawn against each other.

Group winners/best third-placed teams will be away in the first leg, with ties to be played on Feb. 18. Return legs will be played on Feb. 25.

The final seedings will be known once the group stage completes on Thursday evening.

Qualified as group winners/from UCL: Ajax, Arsenal, AS Roma, Club Brugge, Dinamo Zagreb, Hoffenheim, Manchester United, Shakhtar Donetsk, Villarreal, plus seven TBC

Qualified as group runners-up/from UCL: Dynamo Kiev, FC Salzburg, Krasnodar, Olympiakos, Red Star Belgrade, plus 11 TBC

Qualified, position TBC: AC Milan, Antwerp, Bayer Leverkusen, Benfica, Braga, Granada, Leicester City, Lille, PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, Slavia Prague, Tottenham Hotspur

The draw for the round of 16 will then take place after these ties on Friday, Feb. 26.

UEFA will draw the quarterfinal and semifinal ties on the same day this season, scheduled for March 19.

The final will take place in Poland at the Stadion Energa in Gdansk on Wednesday, May 26.

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Is there a BT goals show for the Europa League?

This is probably not applicable for non-US people, but the CBS Sports Network is doing their "Golazo!" program (whip-around coverage focusing on goals) for the Europa League today, covering the entire four hours.  This is the first Golazo! program covering Europa; previously it was only presented for CL matches, and even then only for the late start matches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1