Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
IsItMuzzy

Europa League 20/21

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

At best its very unprofessional isnt it, taking race out of it its like calling Sean Longstaff getting identified as the ginger fella or Gary Taylor-Fletcher the fat bloke.

The question you have to ask is would you like being called "the ginger guy" or the "fat bloke" if you were on the receiving end of that. The point stands, would he have said "the white guy" if it was a white person to describe him? The answer to that is more than likely not! So why describe someone as the "black guy". It's also because it's associated with a negative situation, if it was for praise more than likely he wouldn't be described as the "black guy". 

Edited by hejammy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I think this is the point Demba Ba was making, if it was a white person would the 4th official say the "white guy". This is subtle racism. No need to describe him as the black guy. Call him by his name. 

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

At best its very unprofessional isnt it, taking race out of it its like calling Sean Longstaff getting identified as the ginger fella or Gary Taylor-Fletcher the fat bloke.

This is being heavily discussed in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE thread, where it happened ...

Please, let's preserve this thread for what is going on in the league we are competing in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hejammy said:

The question you have to ask is would you like being called "the ginger guy" or the "fat bloke" if you were on the receiving end of that. The point stands, would he have said "the white guy" if it was a white person to describe him? The answer to that is more than likely not! So why describe someone as the "black guy". It's also because it's associated with a negative situation, if it was for praise more than likely he wouldn't be described as the "black guy". 

Oh yeah, and sorry I should have clarified that my comment was just that even potential or actual racism aside given the explanation by tamworthfox at the start of this page, it was still idiotic from the 4th official even if entirely innocent.

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

This is being heavily discussed in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE thread, where it happened ...

Please, let's preserve this thread for what is going on in the league we are competing in.

Fair enough, I might leave the discussion entirely and get back to obsessing over europa league / champions league drop out seeding instead.

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

I think this is the point Demba Ba was making, if it was a white person would the 4th official say the "white guy". This is subtle racism. No need to describe him as the black guy. Call him by his name. 

Well I doubt the ref would know a random staff member's name. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

How will the seedings work for the last 32?

If we win our group we are seeded as I understand it. But there will be 12 group winners plus 8 teams dropping in from the Champions League. It's not possible to seed 24 teams?

Only 4 of the 8 CL teams are seeded.  Not sure how they work it out though.

6 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

It makes it even more annoying missing out on CL qualification to Man Utd.

A bunch of no hopers who’ll adversely affect the English coefficient 

Not sure we'd have done any better in that group though.

6 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

It makes it even more annoying missing out on CL qualification to Man Utd.

A bunch of no hopers who’ll adversely affect the English coefficient 

They need to invest in a decent central defender - got any thoughts ?lol

With Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal in the Europa League I wonder which obscure channel our games will be put on lol they'll forget we're in it all together.

So from a quick look at the champions leagues groups, it seems Olympiakos/Marseille, Dynamo Kiev, Krasdonor, Salzburg are most likely to be unseeded? 

This is why we must finish top and not mess up tomorrow. 

Avoiding Ajax/Atalanta (Group D), Gladbach/Shakhtar/Real Madrid (Group B) would be very favourable for us. 

If Atletico (Group A) lose tonight they'll be on six points and go in as one of the unseeded teams as all of the teams above have 7 points. They'd be the obvious team to avoid in that unseeded section. 

Olympiacos or Marseille (Group C) are guaranteed to be unseeded. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is why we must finish top and not mess up tomorrow. 

Avoiding Ajax/Atalanta (Group D), Gladbach/Shakhtar/Real Madrid (Group B) would be very favourable for us. 

If Atletico (Group A) lose tonight they'll be on six points and go in as one of the unseeded teams as all of the teams above have 7 points. They'd be the obvious team to avoid in that unseeded section. 

Olympiacos or Marseille (Group C) are guaranteed to be unseeded. 

Yeah agreed, play 7-8 of the big guns and take bodies.

3 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Not sure we'd have done any better in that group though.

So we'd have ended up in the last 32 of the Europa League, after having earned more money than the teams who started the EL. 

• Like 1