Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

Of all the players we have been linked with,  Brooks is the one I would most like to see here.  He influences games.  He would make a positive difference to our points return.  He would help maintain the balance we have of excellent home grown players and talent from elsewhere.

30 million is not a surprising figure in today's market.  Footballers cost too much, footballers are paid too much.  As supporters, we contribute to this; together we have contrived to fill over a hundred pages in the Chilwell transfer thread!

On the one hand, I abhor the capitalist nature of football;  on the other, if we got Brooks for 30 million, I would be excited about the potential of his contribution.

Is Brooks really that much of an improvement on what we’ve got? We’re crying out for a top class winger, have been since Mahrez left. I know it’s not easy to just go out and get one but both him and McNeil would be a bit disappointing for me. They’re good players, but the hole in our squad in wide areas is what’s holding us back at the moment. We need a big improvement on what we’ve already got, someone that can come in and immediately make a difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

Is Brooks really that much of an improvement on what we’ve got? We’re crying out for a top class winger, have been since Mahrez left. I know it’s not easy to just go out and get one but both him and McNeil would be a bit disappointing for me. They’re good players, but the hole in our squad in wide areas is what’s holding us back at the moment. We need a big improvement on what we’ve already got, someone that can come in and immediately make a difference.

And who is this someone who can immediately make a difference that we can afford?

18 minutes ago, Gevans_97 said:

He is better than what we have and would make difference, Brooks is miles ahead of Gray who for all his technical ability just doesn't seem able to string together a consistent performance past one or two games. 

And like it's been posted here a million times the club will try to find good value with signings and every club is after the best players in those positions. Who knows the club may have found the next Mahrez for peaunuts again or we may be looking at the likes of Brooks as we believe he'll be a great buy with the budget we have.

In all seriousness though, comparing Brooks to Gray is pretty daft by any standard. Yes he's quick and be can dribble but he's got a lot more actual product to his game. 

He's not simply a "winger" he's a lot more of a playmaker. His passing is great, he plays vertically, always looking for a forward pass. He's got a through ball on him where he cuts in from the right to slot a left footed pass forward that's a lot like Riyad. 

His dribbling and first touch are obviously no where near Mahrez, not for a second, but his passing and shooting are probably on a par. He'd be the most Riyad-like player we've had at the club since he left. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brooks, Tagliafico and Thauvin would be a very good set of signings, with Brooks seen as someone who can play as a winger and a 10. Thauvin more out and out winger. These 3 and a CB and I think I’d be happy with that. Weird no links to CBs yet, despite us arguably needing 2

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

If your benchmark is Mahrez you are always going to be disappointed

Worth remembering that the Mahrez who arrived at Leicester was not the Mahrez that left, he progressed, as will whoever comes in hopefully

Not necessarily.  I think we did pretty well with Ricardo and given a choice between him and Riyad, I would keep Ricardo.  Much more of an athlete than Mahrez and more direct imo.  A winger like him would fit the bill perfectly..

We just need to clone him so he can play wing and full back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 80footgiraffe said:

Brooks, Tagliafico and Thauvin would be a very good set of signings, with Brooks seen as someone who can play as a winger and a 10. Thauvin more out and out winger. These 3 and a CB and I think I’d be happy with that. Weird no links to CBs yet, despite us arguably needing 2

Signings like that wouldn't go far in addressing our soft underbelly though. Need some warriors, not nancyboys

1 hour ago, Lesta Legend said:

He is better than what we have and would make difference, Brooks is miles ahead of Gray who for all his technical ability just doesn't seem able to string together a consistent performance past one or two games. 

And like it's been posted here a million times the club will try to find good value with signings and every club is after the best players in those positions. Who knows the club may have found the next Mahrez for peaunuts again or we may be looking at the likes of Brooks as we believe he'll be a great buy with the budget we have.

I agree he’s better than Gray but most potential signings are! 

This probably just comes down to difference in opinion, I’ve not been super impressed from what i’ve seen of him. Happy to be proved wrong though! 

29 minutes ago, murphy said:

Not necessarily.  I think we did pretty well with Ricardo and given a choice between him and Riyad, I would keep Ricardo.  Much more of an athlete than Mahrez and more direct imo.  A winger like him would fit the bill perfectly..

I see the argument, but even Ricky (sweet, sweet Ricky) feels more like an outlier than an expected norm, but that is probably just an opinion.

31 minutes ago, murphy said:

Actually, now I come to think of it, could promoting Ricardo to RW and playing Justin FB be the answer? 

I've always been against playing Ricardo on the wing but if there are really no better options available to bring in, perhaps worth a go?  And free too.

Let Ricardo spend all match shuttling up and down the right side, dare say he has the stamina for it. Suspect this is the intent, hence why a non-typical right sided forward is required I would imagine, one who does not hug the touchline but comes inside typically,

A right-sided anti-Kevin if you will.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

If your benchmark is Mahrez you are always going to be disappointed

Worth remembering that the Mahrez who arrived at Leicester was not the Mahrez that left, he progressed, as will whoever comes in hopefully

Absobloody exactly. Don't forget too that he had a season and a half with us before he really started to show what he could do in 15/16. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

I think that would waste ricardo, i think he's an outstanding fullback and a good winger, nothing more. It would be better to use one of the best fullbacks in the world as a fullback and put a good winger in front of him

Yes, I think you're right which is why I've always been against it, but if we can't find that elusive RW, perhaps we should look at the rh side as a whole.  Does Justin and Ricardo give us more than Ricardo and Perez?  I think it might.  If we don't have a really good quality option to bring in then I would rather keep the cash until that player is found.

Just now, murphy said:

Yes, I think you're right which is why I've always been against it, but if we can't find that elusive RW, perhaps we should look at the rh side as a whole.  Does Justin and Ricardo give us more than Ricardo and Perez?  I think it might.  If we don't have a really good quality option to bring in then I would rather keep the cash until that player is found.

If we can't get an elusive right winger then we should focus on playing 3-4-1-2 and getting someone like Edouard in to play alongside Vardy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've not been this triggered since @Manwell Pablo tried to claim Jason Koumas wasn't the best British midfielder of his generation. 

Hey I was always keen on signing him pal.

Shame we couldn’t afford a tenth of his extremely modest £1 million pound price at the time, and we could only offer him wage parity with Doreen in the canteen.

Amazing it never happened really.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Out of the two of Brookes and Trincão, I can understand why many's preference would be for the later. Who wouldn't want a flashy Portuguese winger with great hair over an English - 'Welshman' - that has a look of the Mark Albrighton / Lee Philpott's about him?.

Mark Albrighton's barnet was looking great post-lockdown TBH.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Let Ricardo spend all match shuttling up and down the right side, dare say he has the stamina for it. Suspect this is the intent, hence why a non-typical right sided forward is required I would imagine, one who does not hug the touchline but comes inside typically,

A right-sided anti-Kevin if you will.

Mahrez, you say?

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If we can't get an elusive right winger then we should focus on playing 3-4-1-2 and getting someone like Edouard in to play alongside Vardy.

It's much easier for us fans to go all FM and find players to fit that formation, too. 

One could get Edouard, Tagliafico/Telles, Fofana/White/Kabak, and perhaps another midfielder, like Doucoure or Eze, for what we'd get from the sales of Chilwell, Gray, and a bit extra.

• Like 1