Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

David Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 13:17, honeybradger said:

I think considering he went for 27 mil off of 30 portugese league appearances means he must be a fairly big talent. Also apparently he was portugal's best player in their u17 and u19 world cup wins and these youth competitions are usually a good gauge for how talented a player is.

Slimani and Silva were rated very highly there too.

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

£30 million?? Really?? Surely not... We offloaded that much on Perez who had shown his quality in the PL over several seasons. Brooks can't be worth that.

IMO Brooks is significantly better than Perez. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

£30 million?? Really?? Surely not... We offloaded that much on Perez who had shown his quality in the PL over several seasons. Brooks can't be worth that.

I mean he can certainly cost that much. He’s a talented young British player who’s being sold by a club that isn’t Newcastle.

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

IMO Brooks is significantly better than Perez. 

Having not watched much of him, I can't really say one way or another, but he has just recovered from a very significant injury layoff. Surely his actual value must have been hurt by that, it's a big gamble to buy him.

3 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

I mean he can certainly cost that much. He’s a talented young British player who’s being sold by a club that isn’t Newcastle.

I suppose that makes sense, but it would be the second highest fee from the Championship, ever, for a player who just returned from basically a full season of injury recovery, who only ever had one good season before that. Seems crazy still to me.

18 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Still maintain hed be an excellent buy even at 30m.

Agreed.  Assuming the Trincao pursuit proves fruitless, he’s among the best alternatives.

Edited by Deeg67

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Brooks hasn’t done anything in the Premier League of significant note and Perez has been a consistent performer for us and Newcastle. 

I really think everyone who thinks Brooks is the answer needs to temper their expectations, he’s a decent young prospect but isn’t ‘significantly better’ than any of our wingers/forwards. He’s on a similar level. 

Definitely..

He'd be a very underwhelming signing, so he's nailed on to sign!

I sense this guy is probably the better fit for us in the immediacy. 

Out of the two of Brookes and Trincão, I can understand why many's preference would be for the later. Who wouldn't want a flashy Portuguese winger with great hair over an English - 'Welshman' - that has a look of the Mark Albrighton / Lee Philpott's about him?

Yet, Brookes clearly has talent and holds all the hallmarks of the type of players we've done well with in our recent transfer history.

Additionally, I think Brookes would be much more aware of what we can do as a club for him as a player. The fact that we've elevated Harry Maguire and James Maddision games to the level of England recognition in a short space of time - and have also developed our young talents such as Chiwell and Barnes in a similar vein won't be lost Brookes, to the extent he may consider a move to us as preferable to him at this stage of his career than any of the established top six. 

That means he's likely to buy in to our project a lot easier than Trincão, who even if he was available, I would imagine would take a lot more convincing as to what we are about and that a move to us would be beneficial to his career at this stage?

Now truth be told, we probably need two wingers anyway to provide that competition / rotation / bench options that clubs wanting to compete in elite level competition need to have.

But that need can be resolved over the next couple of windows, I don't think we necessarily need two new wingers right now. And that's probably not a bad thing either, because it doesn't look like Trincão's situation at Barcelona is going to become any clearer until at least January now.  

So my conclusion is - we should go and get Brookes in the door so we can bed him in during pre-season  - and continue to work on the Trincão deal over the coming months with a view to hopefully concluding some sort of deal on him in January / next summer.

• Like 4

This lad has significant talent and HAS shown what he can do in the Prem. Skilful, covers defensively, quick, dribbling skills and a decent shot on him. Had he not been injured, I suspect that he would have been regarded as one of the brightest young players alongside Mount, Maddison et al. £30m - bargain!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If he puts his injury behind him I think he'll have a cracking top flight career. His dynamism, for me, makes him far more threatening than Perez. 

I love that word Dynamism ! 

The quality of being characterized by vigorous activity and progress