Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ollie Watkins

Only the Merc  -  https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ollie-watkins-leicester-villa-sheffield-4414637

Leicester City 'new favourites' to sign Ollie Watkins
Aston Villa and Sheffield United have both been linked with a move for the Brentford forward

ByChris WatsonDigital football writer
13:02, 11 AUG 2020

Leicester City have emerged as the new favourites to sign Brentford striker Ollie Watkins, according to the bookmakers.

Watkins is being tipped for a summer move to the Premier League after the Bees narrowly missed out on promotion to the top flight.

Aston Villa and Sheffield United have both been linked with the former Exeter City star, who scored 26 goals for Brentford during the 2019-20 season.

But the Foxes have now overtaken Villa as front runners with the bookies.

"Leicester City are the new clear favourites in the race to sign Brentford attacker Ollie Watkins, following a flurry of bets on the move," says Oddschecker.

"In the last 24 hours, bookies have cut odds from 12/1 all the way into just 6/4, as money continues to be placed on Brendan Rodgers' side.

"During that same time frame, a whopping 62% of all bets in the market has backed the Foxes to add another exciting English attacker to their ranks."

Villa's odds have drifted from 11/10 out to 5/2, with the Blades currently priced at 7/2, having previously been as short as 6/4.

Crystal Palace are listed as 8/1 shots to sign Watkins, followed by Brighton (11/1), Leeds (12/1), West Ham (20/1) and West Brom (25/1).

Oddschecker spokesperson Callum Wilson said: “After Brentford's failure to secure promotion to the Premier League, a battle to sign striker Ollie Watkins became an inevitability.

“Sheffield United were previously favourites to sign the hitman, but Leicester City's interest, with the European football they can offer, might just sway Watkins to head to the East Midlands.”

Leicester have also been linked with Watkins' Brentford team-mate Said Benrahma.

I thought Villa would go for him as Smith would have managed him and is a big fan.

He's had a prolific season the season just gone but never got as many before. That said, he's always scored goals.

Would be a very Leicester-like signing. I personally would prefer Edouard, but I imagine Watkins will be cheaper and the club will have promised him a move after failing to get promoted. 

I'm sure him and Benhrama will both be in the Premier League this season, just for whom is the question. 

• Like 2

Is he any good as an inside forward on the right wing?

I can't really see room for him as a CF and don't really even see him as an upgrade on Nacho. Then we've got Perez who should also be seen as competition centrally and the fact we importantly need to add creativity on the wing rather than another runner . . . just can't see him fitting in currently, he'd need to play regular games.

1 hour ago, lcfcell said:

is this all because of sean from enderbys tweet... 

And there it is. 

F**king Sean from Enderby is a more credible "source" that actual "journalists" at the Leicester Mercury. 

Silly season really has jumped the shark.

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

I almost don’t want this to happen just so people who haven’t quite grasped it yet... finally realise that enderby is full of s*** 😂

What about Sean?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

So funny seeing Sean from Enderby backtracking after Rob Dorsett’s tweet, he’d suggested it was pretty much a done deal yesterday with terms and fee expected to agreed without an issue: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/seanfromenderby/status/1293183984512335873

cant believe people actually believe what he says tbh.

would be decent signing imo and thought he had a release clause for £18mil too