Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NasPb

Amartey

11 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Far easier if I point you to the last game against a mediocre wolves team.

...or the game before against a mediocre Man City.

I suspect that from your point of view you have circular definition of 'a mediocre team' designed to suit your argument; a mediocre team is any team that Amartey does reasonably well against.

It's strange that, given you said "he's filled in far more times and messed up with silly mistakes", you seem short on examples of him messing up.

Does he really mess up that much more than Soyuncu? A reminder that 'messing up' includes ****ing up Cruyff turns when you're the last defender.

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, sdb said:

But the passes he didn't complete were unforced ones to Wolves players inside our third. 

He wasn't awful but if we want to play it around at the back, he needs to be watching from the sidelines. Let's be honest, the pass completion is high because every pass goes to Ricardo, Soyuncu or most often, Kasper.

And how many times have we seen Jonny Evans play an pass straight to the opposition under no pressure? Hapoens almost every time he plays yet he gets no criticism, in fact when I started a thread about him, whilst some posters agreed many criticised me for saying this about a "Rolls Royce" defender.

1 hour ago, oldbluefox said:

If I remember correctly he made a couple of mislaid passes to midfield which put us under pressure. However that's no different to other players who have made similar errors - Soyuncu, Kasper, Ndidi, Choudhury. They have all been responsible for hospital passes, some of which have cost us goals.

I think he is a pretty solid player and he certainly looks more comfortable on the ball than he did. He's not the classiest of players but certainly not the disaster some would have you believe.

This is a great point - how often does Kasper pass it out of play or give the ball back to the opposition? He doesn’t get stick like Big Dan is. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not Beckenbauer - but he’s a decent squad player who will need to be called upon at points in the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

If you read the link they're suggesting he was MOTM. 

Yeah I got the gist that he was being praised, which in some aspects is fair and in others is a bit ridiculous, given he massively jeopardised the win on a few occasions.

As someone on here said earlier, he's great without the ball but a nervous wreck with it.

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That we won and kept a clean sheet in?

Just one example of a direct Amartey mistake that lead to dropped points is all I ask.

We kept a clean sheet due to covering defenders, schmeichel and poor opposition finishes. 

It got go the second half when the commentators said that that's another mistake from amartey, and I thought great, at least I'm not seeing things.

If we started with Chelsea on Saturday we'd have potentially been thrashed because of mistakes amartey makes and considering how direct chelsea are under tuchel 

3 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

...or the game before against a mediocre Man City.

I suspect that from your point of you have circular definition of 'a mediocre team' designed to suit your argument; a mediocre team is any team that Amartey does reasonably well against.

It's strange that, given you said "he's filled in far more times and messed up with silly mistakes", you seem short on examples of him messing up.

Does he really mess up that much more than Soyuncu? A reminder that 'messing up' includes ****ing up Cruyff turns when you're the last defender.

It was a mediocre man city team, I assume you didn't watch it!

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

We kept a clean sheet due to covering defenders, schmeichel and poor opposition finishes. 

It got go the second half when the commentators said that that's another mistake from amartey, and I thought great, at least I'm not seeing things.

If we started with Chelsea on Saturday we'd have potentially been thrashed because of mistakes amartey makes and considering how direct chelsea are under tuchel 

Thanks for confirming that you can't offer up one example, and you have to resort to saying "what if". 

4 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Gets way too much undeserved stick for the odd mistake, even though all of our defence have the odd mistake in their locker. I can't think of a direct Amartey mistake which has led to us dropping points, but I can definitely remember him picking us up 2 points last season

Also,

amartey-daniel-amartey.gif

PS. 

daniel-amartey-amartey.gif

He's won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Community Shield with us. Never kicked up a stink when he's been left out or played for a move, worked his way back into the side after his horrific injury, just happy to be part of the squad and does his best when he's called upon. I love his attitude and can't understand anyone who doesn't tbh

Dan seems to be very popular among the fans that accept his limitations and I'm no different, he just seems a very likeable character, however one mistake that potentially cost us points was that stupid pennant chucking incident at Wembley.  Of course we'll never know if it did or didn't cost us, but lighting a fire under that Chelsea team when we are about to play them again in what could have been a CL decider was the height of stupidity and also disrespectful.  I have no love for Chelsea but it is just poor form to be chucking their pennant around after we've just beaten them in the cup final.  Not cricket.

Other than that, you would have to go back to the Puel era it think, for two costly mistakes in two games v Man Utd.  Sent off within minutes as a substitute and a highly avoidable penalty in the other game.  That is a long time ago but I don't think he has played that many games in between, especially given his injury.

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Thanks for confirming that you can't offer up one example, and you have to resort to saying "what if". 

Your question was floored. That's why I ignored it because when you have someone that manipulates questions (you) that the question then favourably goes back to that person (you) only to make them look good, then that lacks in fundamental thinking 🤔

We lose £35 million Rolls Royce Fofana and I'm afraid he isn't replaced with another Rolls Royce. Sometimes the resources you have mean you have to settle for a Vauxhall Corsa. If you want to support a club capable of replacing like for like I suggest you look elsewhere.

I'm not sure you can even put most of the blame on Big Dan for us ending up under the kosh on Saturday.

Watching it back, Wilf probably lost the ball in possession or through misplaced passes more than anyone else on the pitch, but he often gets a free pass for it because of his abilities when it comes to winning it back.

Amartey's only real glaring screw-up was letting Traore go for the shot he really should have buried - which wasn't even really his fault when he'd clearly been told to play a high line and Adama is one of the paciest players on the planet. If that was peak Vardy racing clear, you'd ask questions of the system giving him the freedom of the opposition half, not the player he beat for pace.

Besides that and looking iffy (along with the whole backline, it should be said) after the tactical switch, he had a decent if unremarkable afternoon.

1 hour ago, UHDrive said:

Your question was floored. That's why I ignored it because when you have someone that manipulates questions (you) that the question then favourably goes back to that person (you) only to make them look good, then that lacks in fundamental thinking 🤔

I asked for an example to back up your shite opinion and you couldn't provide one. That's that.

Amartey is what he is. A physically strong, relatively quick, ‘stopper’ of a CB

He’s not good on the ball and his positional sense is sometimes suspect

But he gives his all, has fought back from an horrific injury and has never moaned about being a ‘squad player’.

Personally, in terms of pure ability, I think he’s more suited to a lower Premiership side. In a team say like Burnley, he’d probably play a lot more games and would grow in confidence because of this.

Either because no other club has expressed an interest or because Rodgers doesn’t want to sell, hes stayed at City and will continue to be around the first team when needed.

BUT, if we take Wolves as an example, the time he gave the ball away cheaply and Traore couldn’t finish on his run in to goal… the reality is that a good clinical striker would have scored that chance and we’d have conceded a goal. That’s why I always have that fear when Amartey plays. His composure isn’t always the best and in the ‘bigger games’ we’d suffer because of this. The outcome against Wolves could have been a completely different matter if Traore had any sort of finish on him 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Amartey is what he is. A physically strong, relatively quick, ‘stopper’ of a CB

He’s not good on the ball and his positional sense is sometimes suspect

But he gives his all, has fought back from an horrific injury and has never moaned about being a ‘squad player’.

Personally, in terms of pure ability, I think he’s more suited to a lower Premiership side. In a team say like Burnley, he’d probably play a lot more games and would grow in confidence because of this.

Either because no other club has expressed an interest or because Rodgers doesn’t want to sell, hes stayed at City and will continue to be around the first team when needed.

BUT, if we take Wolves as an example, the time he gave the ball away cheaply and Traore couldn’t finish on his run in to goal… the reality is that a good clinical striker would have scored that chance and we’d have conceded a goal. That’s why I always have that fear when Amartey plays. His composure isn’t always the best and in the ‘bigger games’ we’d suffer because of this. The outcome against Wolves could have been a completely different matter if Traore had any sort of finish on him 

I realise you're not a fan.  It is true that Dan plays better and better has he gets a run of games... which he doesn't get here.  However, I still believe he is a very useful player for us - he has played agains big players and done a good job.  WE need a deeper squad - there would be more risk in letting him go and replacing him that there is in keeping him.  Given the Evans situation then I think we need to keep Dan.  Let's agree he is not our best CB - but that doesn't mean we don't need him.

Heartening to see all the ‘leave Big Dan alone he’s ok’ threads getting heavily repped…

I think the vast majority of us are in that camp…

The few dissenting voices are in another much smaller camp I suspect… good!

I’m in the ‘I love Big Dan and want to see him every week camp’ …. It’s lonely in this camp 😞