Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kuredufox

Jonny Evans

On 27/09/2020 at 21:37, Paninistickers said:

Loved it when de Bruyne was running direct at his late first half, we backed off and off and when he reached shooting range, Evans suddenly  stepped back up and took it off his toes. 

Take that you sourpuss caant

I meant to comment on that at the time. It was like a wiley old master going, "come on then, come on, come... gotcha!"

Peerless.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Any news on Evans contract extension? 

I don't like the situation whereby he goes next summer along with morgan and fuchs. Fair enough Morgan might stay in a coaching role but I think we need to tie evans down for 1-2 years. His experience and leadership is invaluable. Otherwise we'll be back in for Tarkowski next year who will want to be a 1st team player which is unlikely and will also have to pay a hefty fee. Or spend money, hassle and resources in securing someone else.

I read somewhere at the weekend - can't recall where to know if a reliable source but it stated he was waiting for our signings to see if he'd still be forst choice before commiting to an extension.

Morgan will not be having a coaching role, it's not the direction he'll be pursuing post playing.

54 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I read somewhere at the weekend - can't recall where to know if a reliable source but it stated he was waiting for our signings to see if he'd still be forst choice before commiting to an extension.

Morgan will not be having a coaching role, it's not the direction he'll be pursuing post playing.

If that's true then we'll need another CB next year. I cant see Johnny staying with Cags, Fofana as the lead pair and with him playing second fiddle unless we go to a back 5. The flipside with Johnny is that if he stays he'll get his high wages for +2 years of extra servitude whereas given his age next year he might have to consider lowering his expectations at another club.

Ndidi can play CB but that's not his permanent position. JJ can play it too but neither is it his natural position because he is better as a wing back. Fuchs and Morgan gone. I wouldn't touch Tarkowski next year for anything above £20mil for his age and 1 year on his contract. Which means we need a seasoned second choice CB in a years time (or until January when we can rinse st etienne in a time of their continuing financial woes)

9 minutes ago, Red Squirrel said:

I doubt Fofana going to walk into the first team with a fully fit squad

Evans and Cags will be the first choice.

Fofana will play lots of games given injuries, Europe League and the FA Cup

This is a step up for him in terms of qualitee and intensitee (thanks Claude) and needs to be managed sensitiveleeeeee

£30 plus mil, + add-ons is a lot to play for a bench-warmer.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

If that's true then we'll need another CB next year. I cant see Johnny staying with Cags, Fofana as the lead pair and with him playing second fiddle unless we go to a back 5. The flipside with Johnny is that if he stays he'll get his high wages for +2 years of extra servitude whereas given his age next year he might have to consider lowering his expectations at another club.

Ndidi can play CB but that's not his permanent position. JJ can play it too but neither is it his natural position because he is better as a wing back. Fuchs and Morgan gone. I wouldn't touch Tarkowski next year for anything above £20mil for his age and 1 year on his contract. Which means we need a seasoned second choice CB in a years time (or until January when we can rinse st etienne in a time of their continuing financial woes)

Best case scenario is that Benkovic could stay injury-free and (perhaps after a Championship loan spell) develop into a reliable alternative for next season. Worst case scenario is that we lose Cags next season, but surely we would extract enough value from his transfer to bring in a quality CB.

2 hours ago, PaulW said:

We are playing a lot of games -- injuries, suspensions and the occasional back 3 means he'll get playing time.

But I wonder how many appearances Big Wes will be making this year after Little Wes's arrival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

2 hours ago, PaulW said:

In fairness this is close to the figure we paid for Soyuncu and Benkovic when they joined in the same window in 2018

• Like 1

Yeh we seem to have a magic formula with one experienced defender mentoring the new promising recruit. Evans stays in my book and him and cags helps foffana bed in properly.

be the end of the season he’ll be good as gold.

i do worry about Evans and injuries starting to catching up with him due to age. Everyone will get game time this season even nachos (sho I Hope is training hard as he looks a little chubby)!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PaulW said:

Agreed,  but regardless of age, at this precise moment in time,  Evans is our best centre half, as he was when Maguire was here. Evans has got talent and experience to burn, Maguire, Soyuncu, Armarty, Benkovic or Fofana can all play successfully alongside Evans I would suggest. How many of that combination could do as well without him? I'd even suggest that the United defence would prosper now with Evans alongside Maguire rather than anyone else they've got! Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. He's not even that old for a centre half. Who have Chelsea just made as captain? How was Cambiasso at his age with us? Don't let youth or transfer fees blind the brain. 

21 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

I doubt Fofana going to walk into the first team with a fully fit squad

Evans and Cags will be the first choice.

Fofana will play lots of games given injuries, Europe League and the FA Cup

This is a step up for him in terms of qualitee and intensitee (thanks Claude) and needs to be managed sensitiveleeeeee

I doubt we’re going spend 40 bags for a backup. 

19 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

We are playing a lot of games -- injuries, suspensions and the occasional back 3 means he'll get playing time.

But I wonder how many appearances Big Wes will be making this year after Little Wes's arrival.

Hopefully none, Morgan, Fuchs and Albrighton were great for this club, but that's the past tense. I don't want to see them play for us again. It doesn't take long to go from legend to embarrassment and I for one don't want to see that happen.

5 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I don't think it's a case of either nailed-on starter or bench-warmer. I think he'll be somewhere inbetween. Not expecting to go straight into the first XI, but maybe starting in easier home games. With EL matches in the already-condensed fixture list, we are going to have to rotate more than last season. I think he'll get plenty of opportunities as 3rd choice CB.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

It's about progression.

I think Fofana will start behind Evans and Cags but with the hope and expectation of great things in the future.  However good he is, at nineteen years of age and with half a season of experience there must be huge potential to grow and improve.

Evans is a top player, experienced and reads the game extremely well. As has been said others raise their game when playing alongside him.

Met him at Winchester services last year after the 9 0 win at Southampton. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t scored in the game. He was very friendly and chatted with me and my lads. Top bloke. 

On 30/09/2020 at 16:32, cruzFOX said:

Yeh we seem to have a magic formula with one experienced defender mentoring the new promising recruit. Evans stays in my book and him and cags helps foffana bed in properly.

be the end of the season he’ll be good as gold.

i do worry about Evans and injuries starting to catching up with him due to age. Everyone will get game time this season even nachos (sho I Hope is training hard as he looks a little chubby)!

so I wasn't the only one to notice that.