Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Lets face it, he was never  truly happy at Leicester and didnt gel with the fans.

I love him for what he did, I supported and sang his name...but i remember the shushing and the attitude.

Seems he isnt happy anywhere, which is sad for him and those around him

What?

I'm gonna stick my head above the parapet here and admit - I sympathise a lot with Danny's situation, regardless of whether he's absolutely minted or not (which seems to be the gripe many here have with him).

I'm going to get the disclaimer out of the way first - I never saw Drinkwater as our best midfielder throughout his career for us, and think selling him was the biggest steal our club ever pulled off, until we truly pulled Man Utd's pants down for Maguire last year. He only thrived when he had someone else doing the dirty work - in order, I'd say his three best seasons for us (2013-14, 14-15 and 15-16) were the result of benefiting from the dirty work of Matty James, Esteban Cambiasso and N'golo Kante respectively. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for his contributions, just that I think he maybe over-estimated his own impact as a player, and that both winning the league and being offered the Chelsea move has clouded his judgement of his own individual ability. The move could have worked out in some alternate universe, but again would have relied heavily on him re-kindling that connection (read - reliance) on the brilliance of Kanté to do the dirty work and free him up for those trademark searching balls.

Right, hope that clears that up - I'm not a complete happy-clapper for our ex-players, see? However...

The guy has always seemingly had his demons. He's just one of those types of person. I always go back to Pearson calling him a "complex character", back before any of the Premier League madness unfolded from 2014-16 and beyond, as the surefire sign that he's a person that struggles to find purpose and direction when left to his own devices - one that needs an arm around him to "cope" with the trappings of life as a pro. The title win was probably the straw that broke the camel's back in that regard. That absolute high, and nothing to fill the gap when it's gone. He says himself in this interview that he knuckled down while we were still in Europe - the UCL being a new high in its own different way, as we could surely attest as fans who enjoyed that run - but afterwards the deflation really sets in. He was a ticking timebomb for depression and stupid mistakes without an arm around him, and he'd not really had that in his profession since Pearson was his manager. It's a genuine shame the Villa move didn't work out for him, because he attests in the interview that Dean Smith had a similar impact, but we'll never know if he would have pushed on from there given he blew his shot by giving Jota the old Nigel FOAD classic. 

Anyone who has been through mental health struggles should clearly be able to see telltale signs in his erratic behaviour and unfortunate relapses. Yes, it's easy to say he should be able to swallow his pride and drop down a division, but that would be a final admission of failure in his mind by the sounds of it. Denial goes hand-in-hand with the complete loss of self-esteem this sort of depressive behaviour causes. You're clinging to the small hope that something will happen to get you out of the hole in a way you imagine it, but at the same time you don't have the mental energy - or as some here would say, the backbone - to pick yourself up off the ground and do it.

In his mind, he was unfairly treated at Chelsea (I can see both sides to be honest - he wasn't exactly awful for them during his short time with the club, but we all know he was probably a step below their overall standard). He feels his career in the top flight was curtailed not by his lack of ability, but external forces, namely being frozen out for a full season under a new manager. That's something that happens for seemingly no reason - just look at Andy King's situation under Puel - but it's how you deal with that. Danny Drinkwater lacked the mentality to deal with that situation without a real mentor to "back" him through it. If the discussion about a loan move in the last hours of the window was true, that's a pretty shocking situation - imagine being told your career at a company is over but only having an hour to find a new job elsewhere before you're made to sit at your desk and stare at the wall for six months? Losing your purpose - whether that's professional or personal - is awful. It hits you like a freight train, especially if you've already struggled with your own mental health beforehand. The course of the spiral downwards was set the day Sarri joined Chelsea.

Honestly, it sounds like I'm the only one who read this interview and actually thought it was bloody tragic to see one of our title-winning squad end up like this during what should be the prime of his career. If I think that as a bystander, fook knows what he really feels like in his own head right now.

I hope he can get his sh*t together and get some regular minutes under his belt. I agree he should do that in a lower division, but for reasons noted above his mind is locked into the belief that he's been unfairly frozen out of a chance in the top flight. The comments about playing abroad given his personal life issues are weird, but again sound like someone who just isn't thinking rationally at all based on where they find themselves right now. If he wants that locality to his son, he's more likely to bank on someone like Leeds or Sheff Utd coming in for him either now or in January. But in this situation, they'd have to be pretty desperate to gamble on someone who described themselves as looking like a "bread loaf" when playing for Aston bloody Villa.

It honestly reads to me like the Football equivalent of Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza. Basically - "I got famous and got all this money, but it didn't bring me any happiness. I just want to be taken seriously and regain the respect I had a few years back, but I can't bring myself to do it alone. I'm sad."

Edited by OntarioFox
Quick grammar tweaks.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think there is more to him, then what he says. I don’t think he has changed much. Talking about the impact of not seeing his son had in him, then states he’d be willing to move abroad, despite not being able to see his son as much.

it wouldn’t surprise me if he had some milder learning difficulties and/or emotional challenges growing up that have also impacted.

i hope for his sake he finds a new club, and rids himself of his demons, with professional support.

Edited by turkish14

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I'm gonna stick my head above the parapet here and admit - I sympathise a lot with Danny's situation, regardless of whether he's absolutely minted or not (which seems to be the gripe many here have with him).

I'm going to get the disclaimer out of the way first - I never saw Drinkwater as our best midfielder throughout his career for us, and think selling him was the biggest steal our club ever pulled off, until we truly pulled Man Utd's pants down for Maguire last year. He only thrived when he had someone else doing the dirty work - in order, I'd say his three best seasons for us (2013-14, 14-15 and 15-16) were the result of benefiting from the dirty work of Matty James, Esteban Cambiasso and N'golo Kante respectively. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful for his contributions, just that I think he maybe over-estimated his own impact as a player, and that both winning the league and being offered the Chelsea move has clouded his judgement of his own individual ability. The move could have worked out in some alternate universe, but again would have relied heavily on him re-kindling that connection (read - reliance) on the brilliance of Kanté to do the dirty work and free him up for those trademark searching balls.

Right, hope that clears that up - I'm not a complete happy-clapper for our ex-players, see? However...

The guy has always seemingly had his demons. He's just one of those types of person. I always go back to Pearson calling him a "complex character", back before any of the Premier League madness unfolded from 2014-16 and beyond, as the surefire sign that he's a person that struggles to find purpose and direction when left to his own devices - one that needs an arm around him to "cope" with the trappings of life as a pro. The title win was probably the straw that broke the camel's back in that regard. That absolute high, and nothing to fill the gap when it's gone. He says himself in this interview that he knuckled down while we were still in Europe - the UCL being a new high in its own different way, as we could surely attest as fans who enjoyed that run - but afterwards the deflation really sets in. He was a ticking timebomb for depression and stupid mistakes without an arm around him, and he'd not really had that in his profession since Pearson was his manager. It's a genuine shame the Villa move didn't work out for him, because he attests in the interview that Dean Smith had a similar impact, but we'll never know if he would have pushed on from there given he blew his shot by giving Jota the old Nigel FOAD classic. 

Anyone who has been through mental health struggles should clearly be able to see telltale signs in his erratic behaviour and unfortunate relapses. Yes, it's easy to say he should be able to swallow his pride and drop down a division, but that would be a final admission of failure in his mind by the sounds of it. Denial goes hand-in-hand with the complete loss of self-esteem this sort of depressive behaviour causes. You're clinging to the small hope that something will happen to get you out of the hole in a way you imagine it, but at the same time you don't have the mental energy - or as some here would say, the backbone - to pick yourself up off the ground and do it.

In his mind, he was unfairly treated at Chelsea (I can see both sides to be honest - he wasn't exactly awful for them during his short time with the club, but we all know he was probably a step below their overall standard). He feels his career in the top flight was curtailed not by his lack of ability, but external forces, namely being frozen out for a full season under a new manager. That's something that happens for seemingly no reason - just look at Andy King's situation under Puel - but it's how you deal with that. Danny Drinkwater lacked the mentality to deal with that situation without a real mentor to "back" him through it. If the discussion about a loan move in the last hours of the window was true, that's a pretty shocking situation - imagine being told your career at a company is over but only having an hour to find a new job elsewhere before you're made to sit at your desk and stare at the wall for six months? Losing your purpose - whether that's professional or personal - is awful. It hits you like a freight train, especially if you've already struggled with your own mental health beforehand. The course of the spiral downwards was set the day Sarri joined Chelsea.

Honestly, it sounds like I'm the only one who read this interview and actually thought it was bloody tragic to see one of our title-winning squad end up like this during what should be the prime of his career. If I think that as a bystander, fook knows what he really feels like in his own head right now.

I hope he can get his sh*t together and get some regular minutes under his belt. I agree he should do that in a lower division, but for reasons noted above his mind is locked into the belief that he's been unfairly frozen out of a chance in the top flight. The comments about playing abroad given his personal life issues are weird, but again sound like someone who just isn't thinking rationally at all based on where they find themselves right now. If he wants that locality to his son, he's more likely to bank on someone like Leeds or Sheff Utd coming in for him either now or in January. But in this situation, they'd have to be pretty desperate to gamble on someone who described themselves as looking like a "bread loaf" when playing for Aston bloody Villa.

It honestly reads to me like the Football equivalent of Mike Posner - I Took A Pill In Ibiza. Basically - "I got famous and got all this money, but it didn't bring me any happiness. I just want to be taken seriously and regain the respect I had a few years back, but I can't bring myself to do it alone. I'm sad."

I agree with you, but cannot articulate as you have done.

i don’t feel anything but sorry for him. But I know I’ll be in the minority.

21 hours ago, evil jack said:

I found it very hard to find any sympathy in it. He needs to grow the **** up.

I agree! I'm very passionate about giving people second, third, etc chances, and I loved Drinkwater when he was at the club and have wanted someone to somehow help him since he left...but he just sounds like a thug, not at all the lost man I had imagined all this time. 

I still hope he can turn his life around though...

Edited: I hadnt appreciated his behaviour could be due to mental health issues, which puts a different spin on things. Thanks for the other posters in this thread for highlighting that. 

Edited by AmyLGK

20 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I've never understood why our fans still seem to idolise Kante when he did this, yet the likes of Mahrez and Drinkwater get slated by our fans despite the fact that they both stayed longer than they might have wanted to. Yes they both kicked up a fuss to force through moves but they both had offers to leave and were told they were staying, so you can see why they might have been frustrated.

Cause Kante didn't act like a spoilt brat and has been nothing but complimentary about us even hanging out in the dressing room when he's been back with Chelsea...players move on, it's how they do it that impacts the fans future response to them. 

• Like 1

I’m glad he doesn’t think about the money, that’s a very privileged position to be in. Good for him. Some people can’t stop thinking about money when they’ve got bills to pay and can’t. I get he was trying to be relatable (Maybe) but it missed the mark.

Also, depression Isn’t just sitting about looking sad. It manifests itself in many ways. Self-destruction being one of the many symptoms. Like I said before, he needs therapy, if he’s not already getting it, and not feel like he can’t or shouldn’t get it. There a reason why the male suicide rate is sky high. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

It's sad what happened. I guess people find it hard to give him sympathy (not excusing) because he has money and a talent that is highly valued. Unlike a lot of people who go through really hard times (mental, financial etc) he has choices and the resources to act upon those choices. For obvious reasons mental issues never makes it that easy and negative patterns and self-sabotaging habits are very hard to work at resolving. But looking in from outside that's sometimes difficult to appreciate and keep in mind.

I didn't think at the time (and still don't) that Chelsea was a good move for him. Personality wise it didn't fit either imo. As for this "new" challenge, sounds a bit like the C&P reason they always give. We (as a club) had "new" challenges. There are a million different challenges a football player can take on. He didn't choose those, he chose this one. The reality is he wanted to win more trophies and thought he had better odds at doing it at a "bigger" club while earning more money. Which is totally understandable. I wish they'd be more honest about it.     

I don't shout insults at any of our ex-players. I'm too concern about shouting insults at the players who still play for us. I have zero feelings about Maguire. He came, didn't blow our season out the water or anything, we sold him for a lot of money, bonus. Kante was a monster. It was no surprise to anybody the next season he moved to Chelsea who promptly won the league. I think other that Vardy he was somebody we had zero chance of winning the title without. And most fans recognize and respect him for that. Mahrez is just complicated lol. 

Edited by Hoopla10

Every Leicester fan could have told him he was not a Chelsea type/standard player. It was so obvious, but interestingly not to him or his agent. I wonder what role his agent had in sending him to a club where he’d be way out of his depth and far away from his family. For a complex character like Drinkwater that move just could never work, for both non-footballing and footballing reasons.

Players don’t know how good they’ve got it sometimes, and he seems to acknowledge this in that interview. Vardy is the exception - he’s stayed and his career continued on a steady/upward trajectory.

• Like 1

I’ve posted previously and was fairly sympathetic towards him. After reading it again, he seems to shift the blame and use factors that he feels are out of his control as excuses for how he feels.

Using the trains not always running for example. Bringing that up as an added stress is poor, given he was charged for drink driving and that’s the reason he has to use trains to see his son. It seems he’s of the mentality that things aren’t his fault (being frozen out by Sarri, having to use trains, and he doesn’t even touch on why he head butted Jota). 

He’s clearly in a bad place but this interview seems to be done to ‘clear his name’ in some way, which isn’t achieved at all. Maybe he feels like he needs a fresh start in life and this interview will be the spring board for it. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I don't think he realises that, as a club and entity, we were perhaps a solution to a lot of his personal problems. 

I agree, as a club we tend to stick by players who show loyalty (King, James, Amartey, Mendy...), he really should have stuck around. Glad we've moved on though.

Some awful takes in this thread. We bought him as a midtable Championship club and he left a Premier League winner, I don't understand the animosity. 

Sure, he's only got himself to blame, but on a human level the responses have been shit. We all thought that he'd be on Chelsea's bench, but he was a Premier League winning, England international. He obviously believed in his own ability and had the chance to link up with N'Golo again. 

After each mistake he made in his personal life, it was obvious that he was going off the rails. He really ought to bite the bullet and accept a modest wage at a modest club, but he might feel that that's too far a step back. 

Absolutely has to get out of Chelsea though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Some awful takes in this thread. We bought him as a midtable Championship club and he left a Premier League winner, I don't understand the animosity. 

Sure, he's only got himself to blame, but on a human level the responses have been shit. We all thought that he'd be on Chelsea's bench, but he was a Premier League winning, England international. He obviously believed in his own ability and had the chance to link up with N'Golo again. 

After each mistake he made in his personal life, it was obvious that he was going off the rails. He really ought to bite the bullet and accept a modest wage at a modest club, but he might feel that that's too far a step back. 

Absolutely has to get out of Chelsea though.

Exactly my thoughts on this. And with the amount of money Chelsea paid for him, he'd have every reason to believe he could have made it there.

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It does seem a bit woe is me,some danny rose vibes coming off here. I do feel bad for him though, I still quite like him

...it does seem like his life of commuting to Manchester for all this time has not helped!!!

He and Matty James car shared travelling back and forth, Ferguson insisted that the players settled down as soon as possible,not having a settled life style has obviously not helped and his numerous wake up calls has failed to give him the nudge he needed to sort himself out. There is a lack of maturity in his story and I hope he sorts himself out soon.

18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it does seem like his life of commuting to Manchester for all this time has not helped!!!

He and Matty James car shared travelling back and forth, Ferguson insisted that the players settled down as soon as possible,not having a settled life style has obviously not helped and his numerous wake up calls has failed to give him the nudge he needed to sort himself out. There is a lack of maturity in his story and I hope he sorts himself out soon.

Again, I do feel for him. But he knew he would be close to his family when he moved for more money/his career. Had he been a success at Chelsea he’d still not have been near his son. He didn’t have to move to London.