Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Danny Drinkwater

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

It goes to show that there's no smoke without fire, he was pretending to be injured and refusing to play for the whole of August that season. It wouldn't surprise me if Chilwell did the same with his 'injury'.

Drinkwater mentions he arrived injured and it hurt his chances at Chelsea; Chilwell has been ruled out for the weekend.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2020 at 11:10, Jobyfox said:

It’s interesting that fans demand loyalty and passion from our players, but don’t see the irony of how fickle we are ourselves. Players don’t ‘love’ clubs like we do they’re just managing their own careers.

You'd think the 2015/16 season would have given that team a free hit in terms of being revered for all time whatever their choices. Instead we’re happy to condemn them for chasing money and more success.

I find the booing of Mahrez a bit moronic considering what he achieved for us. Similarly Drinkwater delivered in a team that got us promotion even before 15/16. I know they may have said a few things that to me just reveals that they’re not die hard fans of LCFC like we are.

I agree with those who question why Kante is excused. He was the one that left immediately to a club that hadn’t even qualified for the Champions League and was possibly one of the biggest reasons for our immediate slump.

I’ll never be able to shout abuse at our 15/16 heroes as some think it is ok to do but, for me, it’s Kante who I remember the least favourably despite his incredible attributes. 

No, I don't think that is the case.  I think that most of us understand our place in the food chain and the fact that if a player is courted by a big club he will leave.  I think that all we ask is that the player conducts himself properly, hence the animosity with Mahrez and the respect for Kante.

Thinking back to DD's departure, far from demanding loyalty, I think that most were very pleased to fleece £35m out of Chelsea at the time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

No, I don't think that is the case.  I think that most of us understand our place in the food chain and the fact that if a player is courted by a big club he will leave.  I think that all we ask is that the player conducts himself properly, hence the animosity with Mahrez and the respect for Kante.

Thinking back to DD's departure, far from demanding loyalty, I think that most were very pleased to fleece £35m out of Chelsea at the time

We’d just won the league and were in the Champions League in 2016. I’m pretty realistic about player ambition, but we’d just defied the usual norm.

All I would have asked is one more season. One season to see where the momentum would take us and how far we’d get in the CL - but no - the team was broken up immediately because of Kante’s decision. 

“Knowing our place in the food chain” means that I’m not too bothered about false platitudes when a player decides to go. There is no sincerity in them anyway and the only real difference is that Mahrez spoke his mind whilst Kante isn’t much of a talker. 

Whenever I see Danny pop up with comments like he did here I always remember the interview he did when we got promoted below. I know loyalty in football is dead but he genuinely appeared to have his head screwed on more back then and for one reason or another most probably being the victim of his own success he has spiralled out of control mentally. Quite sad really as I will always remember him as a player who significantly contributed towards the best season we have ever had and most likely ever will have.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/9321702/danny-drinkwater-happy-at-leicester-and-ready-to-see-out-career-with-club

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Massive shame because he was class for us and our best midfielder since Izzet probably.

Hope he recovers.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

a great player for us when at his best.

always felt he needed help off the pitch - pearson said he was a complex character if I remember correctly.

mental health issues, alcoholism, no doubt the attraction / agent push for a move to a big club, etc. all put him in the wrong place. 

a shame really. 

Yeah. I remember he was one of the one's who publicly stated that Shakespeare should be given the manager's job, and also said he wanted to retire at the club. Then during one of his later interviews, he said he felt like he was going through the motions at Leicester, and that he had done everything he could do at the club.

I think there were probably mental health issues (I am not a doctor) and what happened with him -- the drinking, the fighting, etc. -- was going to happen wherever he was. Part of me is glad we got to skip his breakdown, but part of me feels like our club would have been a healthier place to be while it was happening, as far as support goes.

I hope he saved his paychecks and invested well ... I can't see him playing for another club above League 1.

Said before but imo he definitely underestimated leaving a dressing room of essentially very close friends (Vardy, James, King, Simpson, Morgan) in terms of his bonce, missing that at Chelsea killed him.

Don't begrudge him the move when he looked the only **** arsed at the start of 16/17.

• Like 3

There was a Twitter post from some Reading fans that I saw and to be honest I felt that the grief they were giving him while on loan there was wholly unacceptable.

DD is/was/has clearly struggled in some respects in a number of areas and that has hit his form and ultimately his ambitions really hard, but they are the demons he has to face and he has possibly brought on himself to a point. Fortunately for him he was very well paid and is in a very lucrative position thanks to 5 years at Chelsea, other normal working people with his issues aren't so lucky.

Edited by Bucks fox
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Yeah. I remember he was one of the one's who publicly stated that Shakespeare should be given the manager's job, and also said he wanted to retire at the club. Then during one of his later interviews, he said he felt like he was going through the motions at Leicester, and that he had done everything he could do at the club.

I think there were probably mental health issues (I am not a doctor) and what happened with him -- the drinking, the fighting, etc. -- was going to happen wherever he was. Part of me is glad we got to skip his breakdown, but part of me feels like our club would have been a healthier place to be while it was happening, as far as support goes.

I hope he saved his paychecks and invested well ... I can't see him playing for another club above League 1.

To be fair, by all accounts, after his slow start, he ended the season well on loan at Reading. It was the first time he’d played regular football for 5 years so took him time to get going initially though.

I think he’ll find a Championship club for next season. Hopefully one where he starts every game, I think he could still be excellent at that level with the right manager and playing every week. Hopefully it will give him some of his hunger back.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3