Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

He should be, and you could make an argument that he should already be captain because he is already our leader on the pitch. You always see him pointing and gesticulating where the space is and where to move the ball and equally as part of his position on the pitch, it's his job to run the game and win control of midfield. 

Kasper, Wes, Evans and Vardy are all leaders so I have no problem with any of them being captain, but for me Tielemans is already the general on the pitch. He is our Xavi / Pirlo / Fabregas and when he plays well, we invariably win the game. 

I've said it before, but the actual role of captain is probably far more symbolic than fans seem to think.

I'd argue that the most important function of the captain is actually off the pitch and outside dressing room - he/she needs to be an accomplished speaker for the club. Basically the playing squad's representative at media and social club events.

We need strong communicators across the pitch and we're lucky to have Schmeichel and Evans at the back; Youri in the middle and Vardy up front, but of those I'd argue that either Vardy or Kasper have the best media presence. 
I think Youri will one day become captain, if he stays long enough, but it seems pretty obvious Kasper will succeed Morgan if nothing else than for historic reasons and that he deals with the media duties very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im not sure if this has been said in this thread but he is absolutely crucial for us this season. The only games I think he hasn't been able to get himself going were against villa and West ham so I think it's no coincidence we lost those.  Love our little baby face boy 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2020 at 13:59, StanSP said:

Love Youri. 

Interesting he has mentioned he now plays deeper and there's less focus on goals. His goals and assists have suffered (penalties aside) and I'd hope they can find that perfect balance where he can control the game but still be dangerous in the attacking third as he is so good. This wouldn't be a problem if Maddison was scoring and assisting plenty but both dropped off in the 2nd half of last season and it's something we need to be mindful of.

What a player though, you'll be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of him than me, so don't even bother.

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting he has mentioned he now plays deeper and there's less focus on goals. His goals and assists have suffered (penalties aside) and I'd hope they can find that perfect balance where he can control the game but still be dangerous in the attacking third as he is so good. This wouldn't be a problem if Maddison was scoring and assisting plenty but both dropped off in the 2nd half of last season and it's something we need to be mindful of.

What a player though, you'll be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of him than me, so don't even bother.

I think he's best suited to the deeper role. I see him more as the "hockey assist" guy than anything else in this team.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Do you think that's as important if his role is now the out and out deep lying playmaker instead of rotating between 8 and 10 with Maddison as he did when he first got here? Klopp at Liverpool in his first few seasons relied on his midfielders to contribute towards their attacking play when Coutinho was still there, but then decided to restrict their attacking play and focus on a more stable structure to allow other players on the team to attack instead. That plus Van Dijk and Allison won them the Champions League followed by the League!

We play a different style, but we scored 5 against Man City and 4 against Leeds without pushing Youri that far up the field, even if he did score one against Leeds by pushing up. 

This season Rodgers has decided possession is not as important as he previously thought, but that game control is. In every match we've won, Tielemans has had an outstanding game and controlled the midfield for 90 minutes. We have less of the ball, but have higher quality chances... this season we've seen less "Puel-ball" (which Rodgers was also guilty of) and more of these slider balls through to Barnes / Vardy / Under that are 1 on 1 / 2 on 2. And Tielemans and Mendy are the major contributors towards those chances. 

If we look at global football trends, Tiki-taka has been worked out. Counter-pressing is the new big thing, and whilst Liverpool, Leipzig, Atalanta are all great success stories for it, these systems are tough on players and in a long, hard season might take it's toll. I think our 343 system we are using a lot this season is really good for Coronavirus times, it will keep our players fresher for a long season with two games a week and will help us grind out a lot more results and points. Once again Tielemans is key to it.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

He's scored 3 in 7 this season so obviously the less focus on goals bit is doing it's job.

Two of them have been penalties, so that's nothing to do with his deep-lying position.

But we're seeing more of the sumptuous through balls that he was so good at when he first arrived.

42 minutes ago, Foxymcoxy said:

I think he's best suited to the deeper role. I see him more as the "hockey assist" guy than anything else in this team.

His best position is where he can get space to make defence splitting passes, sometimes this can be done from a deeper position but he has had a lot of success with us getting on the ball towards the oppositions goal and creating openings. With Ndidi out we cannot have both Tielemans and Maddison playing as advanced midfielders but I like it when they dovetail in that role. Both are providing some incredible assists to the assister see Vardy's goal at Man City, Arsenal and Leeds as examples.

38 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Do you think that's as important if his role is now the out and out deep lying playmaker instead of rotating between 8 and 10 with Maddison as he did when he first got here? Klopp at Liverpool in his first few seasons relied on his midfielders to contribute towards their attacking play when Coutinho was still there, but then decided to restrict their attacking play and focus on a more stable structure to allow other players on the team to attack instead. That plus Van Dijk and Allison won them the Champions League followed by the League!

We play a different style, but we scored 5 against Man City and 4 against Leeds without pushing Youri that far up the field, even if he did score one against Leeds by pushing up. 

This season Rodgers has decided possession is not as important as he previously thought, but that game control is. In every match we've won, Tielemans has had an outstanding game and controlled the midfield for 90 minutes. We have less of the ball, but have higher quality chances... this season we've seen less "Puel-ball" (which Rodgers was also guilty of) and more of these slider balls through to Barnes / Vardy / Under that are 1 on 1 / 2 on 2. And Tielemans and Mendy are the major contributors towards those chances. 

If we look at global football trends, Tiki-taka has been worked out. Counter-pressing is the new big thing, and whilst Liverpool, Leipzig, Atalanta are all great success stories for it, these systems are tough on players and in a long, hard season might take it's toll. I think our 343 system we are using a lot this season is really good for Coronavirus times, it will keep our players fresher for a long season with two games a week and will help us grind out a lot more results and points. Once again Tielemans is key to it.

If both our wingers get 10-15 goals a season then no we don't need Tielemans to be as attack minded as he was when he was first here and we do seem to be improving our attacking forward options in Barnes and Ünder but there is still scope to encourage players like Tielemans, Praet and Maddison to get heavily involved in the attacking third.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 12:31, Jimbo said:

I've learned over the years to hold onto my judgement for half a second more because of stuff like this. I've lost count of the amount of times I've gone "oh for fu.....Great ball" :D

My best ever was unironically shouting "what the hell was that" as Joey Gudjonsson shot against Hull from the half way line lol 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

My best ever was unironically shouting "what the hell was that" as Joey Gudjonsson shot against Hull from the half way line lol 

giphy.gif

Absolute banger!

Let me tell you, you were not alone in thinking that. Look at the reaction of some of the fans, they don't celebrate till it's gone in because no-one was expecting a goal like that! I thought he was playing a terribly overhit through ball and had wasted good quality possession in midfield. :whistle:

Edited by StriderHiryu

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm the opposite, see a long raking pass, declare 'great ball' because I've seen the intended target, only for the ball to sail out of play 20 yards adrift.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Is there an argument to say he plays better without Maddison? X 

We did win 9 in a row with Youri and Maddison last season to be fair.

That said, Youri does seem to prefer playing with Praet rather than Maddison in recent times.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

Absolute banger!

Let me tell you, you were not alone in thinking that. Look at the reaction of some of the fans, they don't celebrate till it's gone in because no-one was expecting a goal like that!

I was sat behind the goal for that and was celebrating after it went in and my dad sat next to me was tucking into his pie and missed it wondered what had happened. 

• Haha 2