Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Oxfordfox83

MOTD Thread 2020/21

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I sensed a real beef between Jenas and Keown, I don't think they like each other. Pundits disagree quite often, but there seemed to be a lot of narky comments, especially from Jenas.

I find Jenas to be like this with everyone who has a different point of view to him. 
Up there with Micheal Owen in the dislikable pundits of the world.

59 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I find Jenas to be like this with everyone who has a different point of view to him. 
Up there with Micheal Owen in the dislikable pundits of the world.

Yes I normally Dont Really care, But has Pundits, I just cant take to them...

Though Jenas has the odd Good day...Owen just Grinds...

But we must not forget....We (well 90% of this forum).  are just as Bias, as we are just as Bad than the Pundits we criticise....

Well except me of course, who renders always a well balanced , New-Parks-articulated wise ,Smart & characterfull Dialog

of punditry,  set  to a background of those wonderful spectrums of Poetry......:blush:..:whistle:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes I normally Dont Really care, But has Pundits, I just cant take to them...

Though Jenas has the odd Good day...Owen just Grinds...

But we must not forget....We (well 90% of this forum).  are just as Bias, as we are just as Bad than the Pundits we criticise....

Well except me of course, who renders always a well balanced , New-Parks-articulated wise ,Smart & characterfull Dialog

of punditry,  set  to a background of those wonderful spectrums of Poetry......:blush:..:whistle:

Yeah but it’s not our job. Beyond the odd joke, pundits should be above their biases. It’s funny when you’re a neutral, mind. 

9 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I sensed a real beef between Jenas and Keown, I don't think they like each other. Pundits disagree quite often, but there seemed to be a lot of narky comments, especially from Jenas.

It went south when Keown said Arsenal deserved the win (which is true) and Jenas kneejerked response was to say they didn't "deserve" a pen' because they deserved to win. Which is obviously not what Keown was implying. I have a soft spot for Keown tho'. Like all pundits he speaks out his arse half the time but there's something different in how he does it. I can't remember who he was talking about but he waxed lyrical "painting sweeping lines with his movement" (or something along those lines). And it put a smile on my face. He strikes me as a soft soul these days and you could see it when Jenas was making a prat of himself.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

It went south when Keown said Arsenal deserved the win (which is true) and Jenas kneejerked response was to say they didn't "deserve" a pen' because they deserved to win. Which is obviously not what Keown was implying. I have a soft spot for Keown tho'. Like all pundits he speaks out his arse half the time but there's something different in how he does it. I can't remember who he was talking about but he waxed lyrical "painting sweeping lines with his movement" (or something along those lines). And it put a smile on my face. He strikes me as a soft soul these days and you could see it when Jenas was making a prat of himself.  

Really can’t stand Jenas and his attitude. No matter what game it is or how they’ve played spurs ALWAYS deserve something. So bias it’s unreal,  how he’s a pundit is beyond me. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Blarmy said:

Yeah but it’s not our job. Beyond the odd joke, pundits should be above their biases. It’s funny when you’re a neutral, mind. 

Thats the trick....Support/be Bias as fcuk  to /with your club, But Stay neutral on the Pundity..simples..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Really can’t stand Jenas and his attitude. No matter what game it is or how they’ve played spurs ALWAYS deserve something. So bias it’s unreal,  how he’s a pundit is beyond me. 

They're all a bit like that. Getting ex-players on who have clear deep allegiances to certain clubs is one of my biggest irritations across all the broadcasters. Half the time it's not even balanced by some insightful analysis. I presume it's all about who has the best agent. There's no reason Michael Owen should be anywhere near a camera. Jenas tbf is occasionally good but then has made some horrifically dumb takes (especially when writing). The only one I don't think is overly biased funnily over-compensates is Shearer who properly lays into NUFC every week. Even when they've played some okay football he starts digging them out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

They're all a bit like that. Getting ex-players on who have clear deep allegiances to certain clubs is one of my biggest irritations across all the broadcasters. Half the time it's not even balanced by some insightful analysis. I presume it's all about who has the best agent. There's no reason Michael Owen should be anywhere near a camera. Jenas tbf is occasionally good but then has made some horrifically dumb takes (especially when writing). The only one I don't think is overly biased funnily over-compensates is Shearer who properly lays into NUFC every week. Even when they've played some okay football he starts digging them out.

What we need are more completely neutral experts like Gary Lineker who are always totally objective.

3 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

What we need are more completely neutral experts like Gary Lineker who are always totally objective.

But Saint Gary's support for LCFC is always acknowledged and jested about.  Jenas just gets aggressive and wired up about Spurs and teams who have the temerity to beat them. 

11 minutes ago, Vulpine Victor said:

I agree about neutral but Lineker is awful imo, does he ever say anything interesting? I prefer Mark Chapman on MOTD2. Granted they're afforded more time to discuss stuff but he at least attempts to generate an interesting discussion. I know Karen Carney got a lot of flack recently but she's usually pretty good at just focusing on what happened (and why) in the game. Also having a bias is sometimes no bad. We all know who Ian Wright has a connection with but he never has a strop or get aggressively defensive about them. Some people are naturally likeable I guess I can look past it, Jenas not so much. 

Edited by Hoopla10
  • Like 2

I agree that it shouldn't have been a pen though. Lacazette slashes so wildly at the ball his momentum is more into the defender than the other way, plus the ball is already lost anyway.

But yeah there's some awful pundits around. Thing is they aren't there for their insight, it's entertainment and pandering to certain fanbases. 606 is the extreme end of it all, it's all about winding people up into pointless arguments for entertainment. Pundits on TV are just old faces who were never renowned for their football knowledge otherwise they'd probably still be in the game, not on the sofa talking shight about it.

Best English pundit I can think of doesn't even operate in this hemisphere, nor was he ever a footballer; Tim Vickery.

Edited by Jaspa

2 hours ago, shen said:

Think Shearer, Wright and Lineker are easily the most fun to watch as their cameraderie shines through and they're the most light-hearted. Which, when you think about is quite apt when they're covering a sport that is supposed to be fun.

Definitely, and i think it's one of the reasons Match Of The Day kept its appeal and relevance in the era of Sky. There's no reason a highlights show on 5 hours after you can see all the goals on Youtube or Sky should still have such appeal, but it does because of them three.  

I think where it will end up shooting itself in the foot is rushing through sub standard pundits in this new era. It's already ruined Soccer Saturday and other shows and i find myself watching MOTD2 less and less now. Not saying them shows didn't need change, but there's a way of doing things. Throwing out Le Tissier, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas for Jamie Mackie, Clinton Morrison and a bunch of women with 312 FA Cup Wins has just meant a complete loss of camaraderie and somehow managed to make it sub standard to the BT Sport version. 

If I was to cherry-pick pundits from ex-pros, I'd want journeymen who represented enough top-flight clubs to not have any super-clear biases towards "b*g s*x" teams.

David Nugent always struck me as a great potential pundit, got the gift of the gab and has played in the top flight for us, Pompey, Middlesborough and Burnley. Keep him off the Merseyside derbies as an Everton lad, though. :P

Edited by OntarioFox

7 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

I agree about neutral but Lineker is awful imo, does he ever say anything interesting? I prefer Mark Chapman on MOTD2. Granted they're afforded more time to discuss stuff but he at least attempts to generate an interesting discussion. I know Karen Carney got a lot of flack recently but she's usually pretty good at just focusing on what happened (and why) in the game. Also having a bias is sometimes no bad. We all know who Ian Wright has a connection with but he never has a strop or get aggressively defensive about them. Some people are naturally likeable I guess I can look past it, Jenas not so much. 

Ian Wright is great, but whilst he doesn't get stroppy he can let his support for Arsenal cloud his analysis. Also was really annoyed with him for apologising about the screaming bit him, Lineker and Dublin did at the end of the show the other week. He apologised to Lacazette when he'd actually done nothing wrong in taking the piss out of him.

On 17/03/2021 at 04:02, Carl the Llama said:

Somebody needs to tell this country's commentators that Tielemans is not a French name so they can stop trying that silly "on" sound at the end of his name like he's a 24h race track.

Yeah, give all commentators a phonetic sheet of all the players in the league so they're all pronouncing them the same. It shouldn't boil my urine that much but It really does. 

On 17/03/2021 at 04:02, Carl the Llama said:

Somebody needs to tell this country's commentators that Tielemans is not a French name so they can stop trying that silly "on" sound at the end of his name like he's a 24h race track.

Actually, I checked this, and it's in French that they'd pronounce it "mans", whereas in Flemish they'd pronounce it "mons" so there :P :D 

EDIT: Well what do you know - there's a site here that speaks it for you:  https://forvo.com/word/tielemans/

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Thanks 1